PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Pool Writing - Fels' Pulitzer?

Brian in VA
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
For those of you that haven't seen or read it yet, I just finished the article in BD by George Fels on the 14.1 championships. I always enjoy his Tips and Shafts column at the end of the issue, often reading it first if I've had a bad day at work. His coverage of this event is nothing short of outstanding! This is the way an article about a world championship event should be written.

George, I've been reading you for years and this was some of your best stuff. You are the nuts!!! Tap, tap, tap sir!

Brian in VA

Deeman3
09-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap....Great writing as usual. Makes me miss the game of 14.1 even more.

slow_roller
09-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for pointing this out. Great article for us 14.1 nuts -- and it's available on the Web site for free.

New2Pool
09-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for pointing out the article.

I have not played much pool but I was able to follow everything with the exception of the discription of Kempter's break. What does the author mean by:

[ QUOTE ]
His favorite break-shot strategy, in fact, is to draw the cue ball all the way back to the far end rail and out again. <hr /></blockquote>

I have watched the normal 14.1 breaks on youtube videos but I don't understand what type of break this is describing.

Thanks

Bob_Jewett
09-06-2007, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> ... I have watched the normal 14.1 breaks on youtube videos but I don't understand what type of break this is describing. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Imagine the break ball by the side of the rack and the cue ball on the center spot (which is directly between the side pockets). Play the shot hard with draw. The cue ball smashes into the rack and then draws to the head rail. If you hit it hard enough, it bounces off the head rail to roughly even with the side pockets.

Many players avoid draw on that particular break shot for fear of leaving the cue ball on the head rail.

In George's text, "out again" probably means out of the "kitchen," which is the area between the head string and the head rail.

snyder73
09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
The software combines DVD to iPod Converter and iPod Video Converter in one package at great discount. The software features superb video/audio quality, the fastest conversion speed (Up to 3x faster). And it's easy to use!

http://www.vob-converter.com/

Fran Crimi
09-07-2007, 06:49 AM
I agree! It's a wonderful article. It gives the reader a real flavor for Mosconi and just how proficient and mentally tough he was, and a taste of what things were like back then.

And George's phrasing --- beautifully done.

Bravo, George!

Fran

BillPorter
09-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I've been reading George Fel's articles for many years and always enjoy his writing. When one considers his entire body of work, it is hard to measure how great has been his contribution to the world of pool. He is a treasure!

JimS
09-15-2007, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> I've been reading George Fel's articles for many years and always enjoy his writing. When one considers his entire body of work, it is hard to measure how great has been his contribution to the world of pool. He is a treasure! <hr /></blockquote>

Nicely said Bill. George is great for the game.