PDA

View Full Version : EDDIE GRANT MEMORIAL PLAQUE

nAz
09-03-2007, 01:26 PM
One of baseball's great enduring mysteries has been solved with the Baseball Reliquary's acquisition of the Eddie Grant Memorial plaque. A Harvard graduate, Edward L. Grant was a light-hitting infielder for the Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds, and New York Giants from 1907 to 1915. He often annoyed his less educated teammates by refusing to yell the traditional, "I got it," when a fly ball was hit to his vicinity, insisting rather on voicing the more grammatically correct, "I have it."....

read the rest here (http://www.baseballreliquary.org/EddieGrantPlaque.htm)

wolfdancer
09-03-2007, 05:07 PM
nAz, that made my day...been wondering now for 50 years where that plaque went...
All I know about the Polo grounds is some guy named Wertz hit a fly ball there, and some guy named Mays caught it.
"It would have been a home run in any other park, including Yellowstone."
And some guy named Branca threw a pitch, and some guy named Thompson hit it...
" the shot heard round the world"

DickLeonard
09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Wolfdancer I happen to know where the Flag Pole from the Polo Grounds is located. If anyone is interested it is in the Parking lot of the Bolton Landing Firehouse on Lake George just opposite of the entrance to the Sagamore Resort. How they acquired it, who knows the Placque just tells of its former home not how Bolton Landing received it.####

SKennedy
09-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Never heard a ball player saying that before. There have been times that if I had said either "got it" or "have it" I would have been wrong. On occasion "I'm gonna drop it" would have been more appropriate. Or once in a national tournament in Tenn. when my son dropped an easy pop at 3rd base for what should have been an easy 3rd out and game winner, and as a result of the drop his team lost...."I can blow it!" It's OK though, there were more fond memories and moments than the "poor" ones. As in all things, you gotta have both. Which is why it pays to have a sense of humor.