PDA

View Full Version : Cue Stick for my daughter

steve617
09-07-2007, 09:42 PM
My daughter is 15 is wanting to take up pool. I use to shoot years ago and we are thinking about buying a table in the next few months. I am planning on getting her some lessons from a local pro if possible. I would like to buy her her on cue. I have no idea on length weight for a girl of 15. Dont want to spend a fortune just want her to have her own instead of having to use a house stick. Thanks By the way I was thinking perhaps in the $40 to $75 range if possible. For what its worh she is about 5'5" and weighs about 110 lbs. Thanks

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
First, her size and age won't dictate a skew in length or weight, so I'd go with the universal length, 58", and a 19oz weight, maybe 18oz. You'll really be wise to shift your price range from $75 to $125 IMO. Lucasi makes a solid, good looking cue for a little over a hundred On-line, and Mali sells nice stuff for $70 and up. You'll most likely be disappointed in anything for less. Others here will certainly have inputs, and I'm not the expert. Good luck. sid

dg-in-centralpa
09-08-2007, 06:02 AM
I agree with Sid on the size and weight of the cue. Another company to check is Stealth. They make cues in the price range that you are looking.

dg - welcome to the board

New2Pool
09-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Here is a link (http://www.pooldawg.com/product/lucasi-l2000sp-sneaky-pete-pool-cue-stick) to what is probably the Lucasi cue Sid mentions. Other companys sell it as well I just picked a store at random to find a Lucasi for close to $100.

okinawa77
09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
You can find a Lucasi for $70, and it is a very good cue for the price. For her height, a production cue that is 58 inches is perfect. I would recommend a light weight cue...about 18 ounces. If additional weight is needed later, you can add a weighted bolt at the end of the cue.

If you are willing to spend some more money, and plan for her to play for a very long time....then I recommend McDermott cues. They come with a FREE LIFETIME WARRANTY and FREE LIFETIME MAINTENANCE.

I also recommend the complete series by Monk.

You can purchase all of these things and more at www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

I happen to have an 18 ounce McDermott (purple/owl theme) and a 17 ounce McDermott (green) that I may be cohersed into selling...if you are really hard up for the cost. They were recently sent to McDermott for maintenance...just to check for shaft warpage/tip and cleaning.

If you do find a Pro for lessons, make sure he focuses on establishing her on the foundations first. In my opinion, learning to find the center of the cue ball and stroking straight is the first step.

Snapshot9
09-11-2007, 09:59 AM
For under $100, the Player's G series cues start here:
(Personally, if me, for Players, I like the G-2252 for $71).
Platinum billiards (http://www.platinumbilliards.com/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=21&price= 1&inc_subcat=1&pfrom=50&pto=99&sort=5a&page=5)

Or the Fury DL series, which is on page 7 and 8:
(These look to be better quality, and some are nice looking)

SPetty
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> I am planning on getting her some lessons from a local pro if possible.<hr /></blockquote>You got some good answers on the pool cue - I just want to recommend a local pool instructor rather than a local pro.

mantis
09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
18 ounces sounds right. I have used a $100 Players brand cue that I think plays well. You may also want to check out www.dominiakcues.com. (http://www.dominiakcues.com.) You can get a nice custom shipped for $119. The best value in custom cues. I have hit these cues also, and they play well.

stikapos
09-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I would stay away from the newer "supershafts". An older McDermott at 18 or 19 oz is just fine. If you can't get here, look at Ebay. It will make sure she develops a stroke. Forget the instructor. Too much stress. Take her to a pool hall or better yet, to a tournament. Pick up an instructional book like the old Mosconi text or Bob Byrne's. Then go out and buy two products from Joe Tucker. One is a pair of aiming balls to learn how to pocket balls (about $35) and an aiming fork (about $15). They are tremendous tools for beginners. Hop onto an ironing board and play "The Karate Kid" and keep telling her "wax on, wax off", keeping the wrist and grip loose, with no shoulder movement. Then apply this lesson to the aiming balls and fork. Patience grasshopper! Rome wasn't built in a day! Practice, practice, practice! After mastering that on a centerball, a quick lesson on deflection, english and the tangential line (Jim Rempe's cue ball would help) and she should be on her way. Final thought. Pool isn't a sport or a hobby. Its a life journey. No matter how many distractions and diversions we encounter in life, the one constant is billiards. We may be at different points in the road to pool perfection, but we are all on the same journey. Its hard to remain upset at anything in life after stroking a couple of balls.

Best of Luck,
tim

1Time
09-15-2007, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> My daughter is 15 is wanting to take up pool. I use to shoot years ago and we are thinking about buying a table in the next few months. I am planning on getting her some lessons from a local pro if possible. I would like to buy her her on cue. I have no idea on length weight for a girl of 15. Dont want to spend a fortune just want her to have her own instead of having to use a house stick. Thanks By the way I was thinking perhaps in the $40 to $75 range if possible. For what its worh she is about 5'5" and weighs about 110 lbs. Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

For a 7' table, I suggest a 17.5 oz to 18.5 oz. For a 9' table, I suggest a 18.5 oz to 19.5 oz. 18.5 oz would be the best compromise.

steve617
09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Just thought I would update everyone that me and my daughter made our first trip to a well respected pool hall. After shooting about 1 1/2 hours we spoke to the owner (Janet Atwell) she is going to start giving my daughter lessons in a couple weeks. Besides being an instructor she is ranked in the WPBA. As for my original post on the stick she recommends her getting a good entry level stick and then get something better once she reaches the next level. We are also going there next week to watch a WPBA qualifying tournament. Thanks everyone for all the input.

Steve

Sid_Vicious
09-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Good choice, yet close results to all here in their advice. Just cuz a stick costs only a hundred bucks, it is still a hitter. Willie Nelson is still making money with his "trustry 'GEE-tarr. Respect your wood, no matter if it's boutht or rented off the wall of the PH. sid