PDA

View Full Version : Hardships to Overcome!

CarolNYC
07-27-2002, 06:16 AM
A telephone conversation with a friend brought up the subject of physical ailments/hardships players overcome during their pool-playing years.I read the story of Monica(Webb)in the new Billiards Digest,have a friend who was in a motorcycle accident and I had cancer/neck fusion,we know Jeanettes spine and Ginky's neck operations-you do not have to go into detail,being a rather personal question, a simple "I did!" would suffice!It just amazes me the dedication,determination and perseverance players have to work toward their goals,never giving-up and overcoming lifes obstacles!
Carol~just wondering!

Tom_In_Cincy
07-27-2002, 08:39 AM
I broke my elbow on a slippery icy parking lot, covered with snow.. The elbow broke in 3 places. I was in a cast for 4 weeks, and in a sling for about 2 months. The exercise was very painful, but the Dr. told me that if I didn't do it my elbow would never be the same. I got motivated by convincing myself that I would not let this make my game suffer. It was about 4 months before I got full use of my bridge arm and began to play pool again.. Very agonizing. That was two years ago and my game took almost a year to get back into shape. I broke my elbow in December of 2000 and was playing in the Derby City Bank Tournament in Jan of 2001.

BTW, in 34 years of playing, the 2 months in a cast/sling was the longest that I remember not playing pool.

Karatemom
07-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Hi Carol. IMO, this is a good inspiratioal kind of post. It shows how dedicated and determined an individual can be. I have had fibromyalgia for quite a few years, and it is extremely painful at times. You have to make a choice: is the pain going to overcome you, or are you going to overcome the pain. Take a wild guess which path I took, LOL.

Heide

Chris Cass
07-27-2002, 11:37 AM
And I always thought it was me.

Love,

Chris

07-27-2002, 12:03 PM
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, which has eroded most of my joints. A recent bone density test (It was supposed to be a baseline) shows I have the bones of a sixty five year old woman. My elbow joint is so eroded I can frequently feel it wobbling in its socket (OUCH!) Add a vicious car accident that left me unable to move my neck for two years, and a knee injury that never healed, and you've got me finishing some tournaments on one leg and a prayer. Screw it! You can only let the bastard have so much of you, you know?!

Barbara
07-27-2002, 12:09 PM
Lorri,

You had mentioned this a little when you, me, and Dr D went out to dinner the Friday night before the Lancaster tourny. I had no idea you had such a condition!!

Congratulations for your determination!! And keep up the good work!!

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
07-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Mental and physical setbacks are much the same and I too applaud {sp} Monica as well, tough things she went through to once again see the light. Hardships are what you make OF them. I wont go off on a me me me tangent but I know what it takes to overcome more than one adversity....trust me.

Rod
07-27-2002, 07:07 PM
I've had a couple Carol, and consider myself lucky.

stickman
07-27-2002, 09:53 PM
I just do the best I can with what I've got. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Cueless Joey
07-27-2002, 10:12 PM
My middle finger in my bridge hand (left) is swelling too. It's really bad. I can play but I can no longer grip strongly with it. I might look into surgery but I really need to research it. Shaq O'Neal has the same thing in his right foot. He says he doesn't have flexibility on that foot anymore.

07-27-2002, 11:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I broke my elbow on a slippery icy parking lot, covered with snow.. The elbow broke in 3 places. I was in a cast for 4 weeks, and in a sling for about 2 months. The exercise was very painful, but the Dr. told me that if I didn't do it my elbow would never be the same. I got motivated by convincing myself that I would not let this make my game suffer. It was about 4 months before I got full use of my bridge arm and began to play pool again.. Very agonizing. That was two years ago and my game took almost a year to get back into shape. I broke my elbow in December of 2000 and was playing in the Derby City Bank Tournament in Jan of 2001.

BTW, in 34 years of playing, the 2 months in a cast/sling was the longest that I remember not playing pool. <hr></blockquote>

tom, i remember when you were going thru all that. you just played your way out of it. good. for myself, i've been very lucky, so far, but i'm young.

to restate a poster of my youth, pool will get you thru days of no money better than money will get you thru days of no pool.

i have noticed that, in times of adversity, i've valued my table time even more.

dan

Scott Lee
07-28-2002, 01:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Lorri,

I had no idea you had such a condition!!

Congratulations for your determination!! And keep up the good work!!

Barbara <hr></blockquote>

Ditto Lorri! You are a happy, upbeat woman, that I never would have guessed had a chronic problem like that. The man who first taught me to play pool, a Chicago man named Frank Oliva, had rheumatoid arthritis in BOTH HANDS! His fingers were terribly gnarled, but he had a beautiful stroke! He NEVER complained about pain, though I would have thought it would be a very painful condition...
particularly as severe as he had it.

Good luck!

Scott

CarolNYC
07-28-2002, 04:33 AM
Thank you all for your responses!This just goes to show "When you think you have it bad, walk in someone elses shoes!"A hug goes out to each and everyone of you-God bless you all!All I have to say is "WAY TO GO!"
Carol

07-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Aahhh, Carol, you know we all LIVE for your hugs!!!
(Ever notice how even Carol's cyber hugs make you feel good?!)
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

preacherman
07-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi Lorri,
"...You can only let the bastard have so much of you, you know?!"

Who do you mean by that?

Sorry to hear of your problems, my prayers continue to be with you. Happy our paths crossed in Athens.

Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/)

Holly
07-29-2002, 08:29 AM
(smile &amp; nod) Love ya Carol!!!

Hol

bluewolf
07-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Right on!!! When I was telling my husband about my goals, he said i have a hand tremor. I said so what, a blind huskie ran the iditarod (1000 mile race they do in alaska and canada every year with sled teams)

bluewolf

CarolNYC
07-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Right back atcha,Lady! Always!
Carol

CarolNYC
07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Bluewolf,
I believe that!Did you ever hear the joke of "The 3 Little Pigs In NY?"
Wolf blows down house of straw-little pig runs to twighouse!
Wolf blows down house of twigs-2 little pigs run to brick house!
There scared s@@T and the other little pig says "Dont worry aboudit!" Picks up the phone,hangs up and tells the little pigs look out the window-all of a sudden a big,black cadillac pulls up and out jumps a huge pig who beats the cr#p outta the wolf-as he drives away, the 2 little pigs say "Who was that?" And the other pig says,"The Guinea PIG!"
Carol:)

Karatemom
07-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Between you and me, we could have our own handicapped tourney, hahahahahahaha. I'm sure there's a few others that would qualify as well, LOL

Heide

07-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey Jim!
"The Bastard" is the disease. Any disease. Because they all take so much more than you're willing to give up. Including your freedom, your courage, and all too often, even your personality. I used to be a nice person, you know! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

preacherman
07-29-2002, 04:32 PM
Lorri,
You still are a nice person (you already knew that).
Yes, I agree with getting mad at the disease.
As always I do believe prayer helps, but we all have
something to deal with or live with - Welcome to life on planet earth.

Jim :-)