PDA

View Full Version : Old table ? To repair or replace.

jedinpa
09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
I have an old (1963) Brunswick table that needs recovering. I was always assumed that this table was slate but after digging out the old manual, I find that it's "levelite". Can anyone give me any info on this stuff? Is this table worth recovering efforts?
Thanks in advance for you help!

DeadCrab
09-15-2007, 09:27 AM
IMO, it largely depends on the condition of the cushions, rails, and cabinet. If it is a good solid wood cabinet, and the rubber is in good shape, you may want to consider just a recover. If the rubber is old and/or not playing well, it should also be replaced, and you are now getting into the realm of serious money. If you think recovering alone will be good enough, and you want to do it yourself, get some championship cloth and a staple gun and do it for under $100.

Then there is the question of the fake -slate. My guess is that after 45 years, it is shot. I could be wrong. If it is 3/4" thick, and you have a router and some woodworking skills, you could replace it with MDF, but it will not be any better than the frame it rests on. Is the frame solid enough to support 600# of slate? Then a used table dealer might be able to get you a used slate for $150 or so (not installed).

Bottom line:
- Cloth replacement is not expensive if you do it yourself.

-Replacement of non-slate playing surface and rubber involves some work and money, and there is no guarantee it will play true.

- If you love the cabinet and are willing to spend a few hundred, have a good table mechanic come look at it and see what they can offer. For the same amount of money, you could likely get a decent used slate table. I would suggest seeing a dealer who will move and install it.

jedinpa
09-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Thank you for the quick, informative reply.
The "fake-slate" seems to have stayed nice and flat and I don't think, for recreational use, it would require replacement, but, when you said it's probably shot, what would make it "shot"? What would I look for?
As far as recovering, my manual gives the step by step instructions EXCEPT for the cushions. Are they expensive? About how much would I expect to pay to replace them? How hard are they to re-cover and can/should an amateur attempt it?
Thanks again for your advise.

DeadCrab
09-15-2007, 11:21 AM
If the surface is playing true, no need to replace. If you are getting funky rolls, or balls seem to settle into pits, then consider replacing.

The important thing about cushion replacement is that you must get the exact profile that you have as original equipment. Hopefully, it tells you what type in your owner's manual, but some specs and instructions can be found here:

http://www.poolfelt.com/cushrepl.html

You can get Championship cloth and cushions for around $200 at poolfelt.com.

You will need to remove the old cushions carefully to keep from pulling off underlying subrail. Then you can cut the new rubber using the old material as a size guide, and glue it on using either the 3M cement or Barge contact cement, after allowing it to set up, per instructions. When positioning the cushions, if right handed, you start at the right end, and use right hand to position the cushion on the rail. The left hand holds the cushion strip in line with, but above the rail. You then work right to left, laying the cushion in correct position. After it dries, the facings can be put on per instructions.

The rail cloth is pre-cut and included with the table cloth. Follow the instructions that are available at:
http://www.champbilliards.com/install_guide/install_page_one.html

but for some reason are not included with the cloth when you buy it. You can also look at your old rails to see how it was originally installed and stapled.

Some Brunswick tables require a special tool for rail removal that was discussed in this forum a few weeks ago, if you need one.

Intermediate skill level project.

dg-in-centralpa
09-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the board. As for your table, I would check with someone who installs tables. They can tell you if it's worth recovering. What part of PA are you from? I live in Lebanon, maybe I know someone who can help.

dg-in-centralpa