PDA

View Full Version : need help

orbyward
09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
hello everyone
i am new to this board .i've been reading post for some time but never posted a question .can anyone give me some inside history on jean balukas i.ve only seen her play on the charlie rose interview.i've looked at past post and searched the net and really found nothing but her tourney bio and some winnings. is she alive .does she still play .how old is she .why did she stop playing and are there any tv or videos of her anywhere .see i love this game and i love the older players like varner,rempe,hall,sigel,mataya AND EARL those guys had style man they would talk to the table and the guy they playing and just have fun with the game. the new guys are like watching paint dry they don;t smile or blink or talk or break there stick on the floor lol. and i've watched these guys for years.. anyway i would love find out more about jean .and i hope some of you guys can give me some insight thanks bigjim

pooltchr
09-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Jean was one of the best players around in her time. (not one of the best female players...one of the best players!) I hear that several of the male players didn't want to match up with her for fear of having their ego's bruised. I've seen her at some events as a spectator, but she has indicated she has no interest in returning to pool.
I know there were some issues in the early days of the WPBA that created some bad feelings, although I don't know all the details.
Perhaps Fran could offer a little better perspective, or perhaps it's a personal issue for Jean.
Either way, I believe she would have been a dominate force had she continued her playing career.
Steve

Rich R.
09-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Orbyward, Jean is alive and well and living in New York. She runs the family pool room and still plays quite well. As Tom said, she attends many WPBA tournaments, as a spectator and is good friends with a number of the players.
IIRC, you should be able to search this forum and find the answers to many of your questions.

randyg
09-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Fran can fill in the info the best......SPF=randyg

Snapshot9
09-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Fran won 19 Major tournament titles. She splashed on the scene like Tiger Woods did in Golf.