PDA

View Full Version : After a Loss Advice

Bassn7
09-16-2007, 03:39 PM
After preparing for and then losing in a tournament,what are the best words of wisdom for getting back up for the next one?

orbyward
09-16-2007, 04:46 PM
best advise i ever got .first you learn how to lose then you learn how to win .and you will lose more in your life than you will win .so learn from your mistakes. and no matter what walk over to the guy that played better than you and shake his hand a wish him luck in the tourney.then go back to your table and work on the things that beat you .REMEMBER THIS YOU ARE PLAYING THE TABLE NOT THE GUY IN THE CHAIR ONLY YOU CAN BEAT YOU (MISTAKES)

pooltchr
09-16-2007, 06:24 PM
In a field of 32 players, 31 of them are NOT going to win. Play your best and learn from your losses. You will come to appreciate the wins so much more when they do happen.
Steve

Rich R.
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
When it comes to winning and losing, the best thing any pool player can have is a lousy memory.
Win or lose, forget about a match as soon as it is finished. At that point, you can't do anything to change the results.
As soon as you forget the completed match, you can start preparing for the next match.

Snapshot9
09-17-2007, 06:44 AM
I could never forget a loss right away, and I would analyze why I lost the match, my mistakes, or if the opponent just played that super good. I would usually think about what I could have done differently for each mistake, taking it to the table if I could not resolve it in my mind.

And this is part of preparing for the next match, not to make the same mistake again because when you get to a certain level, it is not about the 99 balls you made, it is
about the 1 you missed. Mistakes = losses at upper levels of play.

Cornerman
09-17-2007, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> After preparing for and then losing in a tournament,what are the best words of wisdom for getting back up for the next one? <hr /></blockquote>No words of wisdom. We all lose.

The best thing about losing, especially if it's a dogged loss, is that it helps you to forget about the previous dismal failure.

Fred &lt;~~~ the dismal failure jar overflowed a long time ago

Fran Crimi
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
If you're trying to help somebody, then it's important to know how they lost. Different circumstances require different words of encouragement, and timing is everything.

For example: If a friend played really poorly, and right after the match I came up to him and said something like, don't worry, stay positive and you'll get him next time, he might turn around and punch me. Well, maybe not that bad, but he won't be a happy camper. In many cases, depending on the personality of the player, the best thing you can say to someone is nothing. If they like to compete, they'll bounce back. If they don't enjoy the heat of battle, then there is very little you can say to them to keep them thinking positive. A true competitor keeps throwing himself or herself into the ring, no matter what. My experience is that a player finds out pretty early whether or not they're a competitor, regardless of their skill level.

What I remember from the WPBA tour is if a friend lost because she played poorly, then the general rule is to stay away from her for at least 2 hours, in some cases, the rest of the day. The next day she'll be fine and ready to go to battle again.

Fran

SKennedy
09-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Amen Fran.
I love to compete. Yes I do get beat and will get upset but only because I'm just mad at myself for not playing to my potential. But others can't really tell I'm unhappy. If I bring my best game and get beat, which happens often, then hats off to the other guy. If I win or lose, but play poorly, I'm not happy with myself. However, I don't beat myself up. I just try to learn, recover, and not make the same mistakes over &amp; over again. And like you said, I'm ready to play again! I always play to win, even if I know someone is much better than me. It's more about competing, but with competing comes winning and losing.

Deeman3
09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
If we lose from something we did or did not do, we should learn, then it is not a total loss. If you were simply outplayed, overmatched or your opponent got all the breaks, you just have to shrug it off and come back again.

Like Steve said, "31 players are going to lose." If you take anything away in terms of learning, it's better than just taking a loss. I've taken my share but try to determine if I could have played a shot or match better and learn. Sometimes it even works....Maybe

BigRigTom
09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
After a loss I will remember every error I made and I will often go home and replay those shots until I have a pretty good understanding how to not make the same mistake again. Unfortunately there are just too damned many scenarios to cover them all and every match will present you with a new one that you have probably never had to deal with and that makes the game just that much more of a challenge!
I try to remember that and work on my positive mental attitude which you need in every match and it is something that will help your confidence.

If you know a player and can give him or her words of wisdom and encouragement and do it in an unselfish way, then by all means do it.
If you don't know the player you are probably better off saying nothing about his loss.
I have had people come up to me following a loss and say something stupid or inappropriate and it does not help.

On the other hand I have had my mentor or coach make encouraging remarks that have lightened the burden considerably. It has to be on an individual and personal level and most of all it has to be positive and sincere as well as accurate and well thought out. Off the cuff remarks will usually do more harm than good.

SKennedy
09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Are you speaking about pool, or about life? Either way, I think your comments are very true.