PDA

View Full Version : Scam the scammer?

sack316
09-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I've been job hunting, and have resumes posted on a few websites. I got a forwarded email from one of the local ones informing me of a possible job opening. I traced the email, and it was in fact directly from a legit website to which I have my resume posted on. The message contained an email address to contact the "employer". So I figured what the heck, I'll email it and see what comes of it. Well, here is what i got from the guy:

"James Artwork
Address: - 13 dalberg way
abbeywood,london,Se2 9sl UK
Rc:120032
Tel:+447024065478
Email:j_garvn@yahoo.com

My name is James Garvin,I am an artist.i came accross your resume through James Coporations via MontgomeryAreaHelpWanted.com, I live in United Kingdom, with my two kids, four cats, one dog and the love of my life. It is definitely a full house. I have been doing artwork since I was a small child. That gives me about 23 years of experience. I majored in art in high school and took a few college art courses. Most of my work is done in either pencil or airbrush mixed with color pencils. I have recently added designing and creating artwork on the computer. I have been selling my art works for the last 3 years and have had a
lot of my works featured on trading cards, prints and in magazines.I have sold in galleries and to private collectors from all over the world and i get paid without hassles. I am always facing serious difficulties when it comes to selling my art works to Americans,owing to the fact that they mostly offer to pay with a US POSTAL MONEY ORDER, which is difficult for me to cash here in The United Kingdom.And also the cost of coming to the state and getting payments is very expensive,though i am currently working on setting up a branch in the States.

In view of the above i am in urgent need of a representative in the united states who will be handling the payment aspect,by recieving my payments on my behalf from my American clients .It is as a result of the above that we came up with the idea of looking for a responsible and competent person(s) who will be of assistance to me in this area,whom i can entrust my payments upon and who will cash them immediately he/she recieves them and forward the Monies to me here in the U.K via Moneygram Or Western Union International Money Transfer. What i need from you is just to recieve the payments and take them to your local bank or check cashing facility and cash them immediately and deduct your own commission.

I are prepared to offer a commission of 10% to you persons on any payments recieved and cashed,and i shall increase the commission from time to time based on your competence and efficiency.This does not stop you from doing your normal job,it's just for you to take deliveries of payments and cash them and transfer the money to me here in the U.K via Moneygram Or Western Union International Money Transfer. May i not fail to inform you that you have to assure me that any payments you recieve will be instantly cashed and transfered immediately,as i are just starting this set up and i would not like a situation where people will make away ou squander my hard earned money,so please asure me that all will be well in this business arrangement.

What the job entails is for you to:

(A) Receive Payments on our Behalf from out American Debtors;such
payments shall come in the form of Official Checks,Cashiers Checks ,Postal
Money Orders and Bank drafts,all of which shall be issued in the USA.
(B) Cash such payments
(C) Transfer the monies via Moneygram Or Western Union International Money Transfer.It wouldn't cost you any amount, You are to receive payments which will be sent to you by fedex or usps courier service from my debtors, which would come in form of a United States Postal Money Order then you are to cash it deduct your own 12% commission and send the balance to me via western union money transfer or money gram money transfer,all transfer fees should be deducted from the money.On acceptance of this offer please get back to me with the
following:
(A) Your FULL NAMES
(B) ADDRESS DETAILS,PLEASE NO P.O BOXES
(C) HOME AND WORK PHONE NUMBERS (INCLUDING CELL PHONE NUMBER)
(D) AGREEMENT AND ACCEPTANCE OF THIS REQUEST.
(E) GENDER
(F) AGE

Once I get these details I will forward them from time to time to my clients who will then issue out the payments in your favour and send it to you for cashing.This is a completely legal thing in as much as you prove your honesty by acting to instructions,people have made away with my monies in the past and i am trying to be carfeful this time around.You can cash the check wherever you choose,i know they charge commission at the cashing facilities,it's okay if you
go cash them there. Please get back to me immediately as i have a lot of payments to recieve and as soon as you send me your home address details i will instruct that my debtors start issuing out the payments to you.

Best Regards,

James Garvin."

Now, to anyone not familiar with scams it would actually sound pretty good. But a little quick research shows the address listed is the same one used in the relatively unknown "Allen Artwork" scams. Also if, in fact, they lived there they would know it is Abbey Wood (two words) anyway. But I digress.

My most likely guess would be that checks would be sent to me using fraudulent and/or stolen checking account numbers and such. Once I "immediately" cash these checks and forward him the remainder, I'm left holding the smoking gun and responsible for the amount of these bad checks.

Now normally I would dismiss this and go on with my life. But I'm in a froggy mood, and in the spirit of the legendary scam the scammer things we've seen floating around, I'd kinda like to try and have some fun with this.

So my question is, what shall be my first move? Should I go ahead with the info and see where that takes me? Do I call Chris Hansen and see if Dateline wants to go on a trip? Let's get some idea rolling here, and see if we can come up with anything we can have fun with.

Sack

DickLeonard
09-17-2007, 07:32 AM
sack316 Not even a Dear Sir:? That would raise the Flag for me. He had one chance to call Sir and he blew it.####

Deeman3
09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Ask the clown for a good faith deposit of say, 100 pounds and cash it if he were foolish enough to send a real 100 pound note.

Otherwise send him an e-mail asking him if he thinks you are a democrat or something? Just Kidding, JK,JK,JK,JK /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SKennedy
09-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Have the guy call me. I'm a southern republican neocon. But I did read the sports section of the Sunday paper. Took me all day....woo-hoo!
[The above post was for the benefit of Gayle. Hope she enjoyed.]

pooltchr
09-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Refer him to the brother of the former minister of finance of Nigeria. I believe I have his e-mail address in my junk-mail folder. Let them rip each other off.
Steve

wolfdancer
09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Sack, did you notice that in just two short paragraphs, you got a raise from 10% to 12%...?
I think the guy is a philanthropist...fortunately for him, he found a trustworthy guy like yourself to do business with...and not rip him off...
He could have been unlucky and hooked up with one of them unscrupulous neocons...

Chopstick
09-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Refer him to your good friend that would be interested:

fastlarry@bellsouth.net

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
now, that weren't nice. I'd be willing to trade Ed, Skennedy, Vapros, and Bobbyrx, with whatever board, to bring back FL.
shoot, I might even toss in Steve and Deeman, and a first round draft choice.

Deeman3
09-18-2007, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> now, that weren't nice. I'd be willing to trade Ed, Skennedy, Vapros, and Bobbyrx, with whatever board, to bring back FL.
shoot, I might even toss in Steve and Deeman, and a first round draft choice. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Well Wolfdancer, at least you have the ability to select the "A" Team in your Fantasy Greaseball League. We would not let you down and convert all those whiny lefties away from the dark side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

Vapros
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Be careful what you wish for. What makes you think that FL is even a liberal? Besides, what about tenure? You can't just trade us around like a bunch of old house cues.

We haven't heard much from Gayle lately, either. Who's got your back? And don't say it's Dick Leonard, man. By the way, which way does he swing?

SKennedy
09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
What? I only get 2nd billing...just a level above Ed and well below the rest of the pack?
And yes, where is Gayle? Don't give her the satisfaction of letting her know we miss her.
I'll be gone next week to the wild and wooly parts of Colorado and will not have access. Unfortunately for all of you, I will return.

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Gayle is quote "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore! ." She can abide most of the opposition here, 'cept for Ed, whom she feels like "bitch slapping" some sense of decency into(I'm only guessing, of course) I keep telling her to hit the "ignore" button instead.
FL is probably a Republican, but he "livens" up a board, and would be a welcome distraction for me,from the political infighting here. Folks take him too seriously..when he's only joking....unlike Ed who tries to be serious, but comes across as a bad joke....
"Which way does Dick swing?" Unlike the renowned ambidextrous Deeman who leans right but plays left.....
Dick would rather be caught passing out towels in a Mikvah, then show up at a Republican rally; he's a dyed in the wool Democrat
His unique "pc" spellcheck application gives him an error message, if he even accidentally types "Republican".
However, given a little weight, I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing pool with a Republican for a few quid.....

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
well, don't get caught getting one of them "Rocky Mountain Highs"
Great state...I'd like to see more of it someday.
Was in Denver a few years ago helping a friend (for $$).
He bought a guy's entire collection of antique tables, some dating back to 1915. We filled up two trucks and a Van...and fortunately bypassed all the scales on the way back.

Vapros
09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
My question about DL was occasioned by his support for Larry Craig in another thread here. I was not aware that Dick ever spoke up for a Republican, so why now?

Sure, I will empty out and play him for whatever, if he gets the proposition right. I normally ask for the break and the last shot. Have we got action?

eg8r
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
now, that weren't nice. I'd be willing to trade Ed, Skennedy, Vapros, and Bobbyrx, with whatever board, to bring back FL. <hr /></blockquote> You deserve him. Why don't you just go seek him out? If you wanna chat with him I am sure he will be all ears and the two of your seem to have the same mentality.

eg8r

eg8r
09-18-2007, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gayle is quote "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore! ." She can abide most of the opposition here, 'cept for Ed, whom she feels like "bitch slapping" <hr /></blockquote> She definitely is not amenable towards those who disagree with her. As far as the slapping goes, my guess is that she is not as childish as you are but I have been wrong before.

eg8r

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Ed, I have exchanged emails with him, and we get along just fine. I enjoy his sense of humor, offbeat as it is...and I got a great pool tip from him, re my bridge length.
I can at least smile after reading his stuff....unlike the bad taste in my mouth I get after reading your venomous posts.

Deeman3
09-18-2007, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> My question about DL was occasioned by his support for Larry Craig in another thread here. I was not aware that Dick ever spoke up for a Republican, so why now?

Sure, I will empty out and play him for whatever, if he gets the proposition right. I normally ask for the break and the last shot. Have we got action? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Vapros,

Better not play Dick his game, straight pool. I gotta feeling the old guy has forgotten more then most of us know and the first and last shot in that game won't do a lot of good. The break is a disadvantage in most cases and you'd better be able to put up a really big number on that last inning. I am hoping that someday I'll get to meet and visit with Dick. I respect his knowledge and where he's been even though we don't always see eye to eye on politics he has always told it like he sees it and that's about all you can ask of a man.

I'd love to write a book about his life. Maybe some day he'll let me. </font color>

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
we exchange pms and emails....and I have great respect for Gayle. You do p*ss her off, while you merely agitate me. But since I usually ignore your posts...no problem

Deeman3
09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Ed, I have exchanged emails with him, and we get along just fine. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Wolfdancer,

Respectfully, I don't think you have been "cyber stalked" by F/L. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif </font color>

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
cyber stalking...you mean like Ed does to Gayle?
I've seen some of FL's "work output" it ain't purty...it also isn't one sided in any name calling/insults.He enjoys the confrontation though, and wants to get the last word in.
I haven't the time or the patience....

Deeman3
09-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I never even minded, so much, at first, his outrageous claims of secret knowledge but more his out of hand dismissal of everyone who did not agree with him and his hostile recriminations of other teachers/coaches/instructors. If I question Dave or Scott or Fred about a comment or statement they make, they don't attack me and call me names, although a few may have reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hey, Guys, I like swagger as much as the next guy but to say, "I have the Holy Grail and if you want to know it I just might share it with you, after I make this 13 rail bank shot." I want to see the shot.

Wolf, I just think you like odd people and don't mind mixing it up a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SKennedy
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
13 rail bank shot? I can't count past 3.
As for the "holy grail...." Is that what OJ ws trying to "recover?"

eg8r
09-18-2007, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
13 rail bank shot? I can't count past 3.
As for the "holy grail...." Is that what OJ ws trying to "recover?" <hr /></blockquote> He had the video on his website. Check with his buddy wolfie for the address if you need it.

eg8r

eg8r
09-18-2007, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am hoping that someday I'll get to meet and visit with Dick. I respect his knowledge and where he's been even though we don't always see eye to eye on politics he has always told it like he sees it and that's about all you can ask of a man.
<hr /></blockquote> Outside of this forum, I think I have gotten along with every member I have met. I don't think it would be any different with Dick. I will make one promise...no gambling with Dick on pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just hearing his stories are great.

eg8r

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
"holy grail".....good one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now i haven't seen the 13 rail shot performed, and not sure if FL, or his dog does that....but oddly enough the guy who has seen it, is telling you to get the URL from me???
Is that Hutspah, or what?

eg8r
09-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, memory appears to be failing me and all I can find is video of his 11 rail shot. Since the ball is barely making it to the 11th rail I am guessing this is his best.

eg8r

Deeman3
09-18-2007, 03:48 PM
See how I start rumors and fights, ha! I added 2 rails and included the bank and no one is the wiser. Yes, we are out to getr F/L, his paranoia is not all wasted.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eg8r
09-19-2007, 06:49 AM
LOL, no kidding. I knew I saw a crazy bank shot, just could not remember the number of rails. You came in and saved the day only to screw it up just a little more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
09-19-2007, 07:11 AM
It's a gift!

Gayle in MD
09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Just came home yesterday from an extended weekend on the boat, friend, and I respect you, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't read Ed's posts anymore, at all, BTW....
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jim has his hernia surgery tomorrow. I sure wish I could have it for him. Hope all goes well, and I'm going to spoil him rotten!

later,
Love,
Gayle...
ps,
these guys on here couldn't polish Dick Leonard's shoes, cue stick, or cue case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman3
09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Best of luck with Jim's surgery. I hope he comes though it fine. I agree, none of us could carry Dick's cue.

Gayle in MD
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Deeman...I'll let you know how it goes, fortunately, they're doing it laproscopically, so atleast, he won't have any large incisions, just two little one inch cuts. Problem will be keeping him from hurting himself afterwards. I'll be stalking him for sure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
09-19-2007, 03:11 PM
One of my team members yesterday was just standing at his work area and heard a "pop" above his navel. He had hernia surgery last night and is fine but we were all surprised as you would expect some sort of straining to be associated with a hernia. You live and learn.

Bobbyrx
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Fortunately, I have a no trade clause in my contract, or else y'all would have traded me long ago

Bobbyrx
09-19-2007, 03:47 PM
If you let him watch Fox news all day while he is recovering studies have shown that the healing time is cut in half.....just kidding. I do hope that all goes well and y'all are back on the boat soon.

Gayle in MD
09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, thanks, Bobby, I appreciate the good wishes. No Fox News for Jim and me though, we're into reality! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We usually dry dock the boat by the end of October, anyway, so it won't cut our boating season too short. I'm glad Jim's in good shape though. The doctor said she thought he'd have an easy time, since he is slender, and strong. He's going to have to divide his tools, though, so that they're in more than one tool box. It must weigh ninety pounds. I've been asking him for years to divide it. But, noooooooooo, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Men!

DickLeonard
09-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Eg8r now I am forgeting the stories too. Sad to say I am falling apart piece by piece except I have more pieces that than a two piece cue.####

SKennedy
09-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Let us know how the surgery went.

eg8r
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Hopefully you will be able to write a few of them down they so they are not lost forever.

eg8r