PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue, Jump Cue, Std Taper?

Shaft
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
I have played for years but I am still very much a mediocre player. I have never tried having a specific "break cue" or a "jump cue." What makes a jump cue a jump cue? Is it a stiffer shaft? Greater mass? Same question for a break cue? On a slightly different topic, how would I specify a "non-pro" taper, is that called "standard taper?" "Constant taper?"

1Time
09-17-2007, 11:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> I have played for years but I am still very much a mediocre player. I have never tried having a specific "break cue" or a "jump cue." What makes a jump cue a jump cue? Is it a stiffer shaft? Greater mass? Same question for a break cue? On a slightly different topic, how would I specify a "non-pro" taper, is that called "standard taper?" "Constant taper?" <hr /></blockquote>

A break cue is just another cue used for breaking instead of your regular cue. If breaking hard, I prefer using a heavier cue with a stiffer shaft and a medium-hard to hard tip. I call a non-pro taper a standard taper. I just use my regular cue for jump shots.

okinawa77
09-17-2007, 11:54 PM
If you are a soft breaker, then you don't need a break cue. You can use your regular playing cue. If you are a hard breaker 19.5 ounces or heavier is the norm. You want a stiff shaft with a medium hard tip or hard tip. Some people use the phenolic tip, but some tournaments do not allow it. Also, using a jump cue is sometimes not allowed in tournaments. So, using your regular cue for jumps is the right way to go. But, if your really want a jump cue, they are not hard to find. They are very short, and not very expensive. As far as taper, it is a matter of your preference.

Snapshot9
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Cues can up to a 14mm tip, and lots of Break/Jump cues, or Break cues, or Jump cues have a 14mm tip because a bigger tip is better for Breaking and/or Jumping. Break cues commonly have a Conical taper (also called European)for added stiffness.

A Break/Jump cue is one that is used for Breaking and Jumping with part of butt coming off so that the shorter Jump portion can be used. Jump cues/portions are commonly
40" long, the minimum length they can be.

Leather tips are better for control, but Phenolic tips, which are harder, are better for power and/or lift when jumping. I have a J&amp;J Break/Jump cue with a phenolic ferrule/tip combination that I like alot, and they can be bought for $60/65 dollars. I used to believe in separate Break cue and jump cue, but the J&amp;J Break/jump changed my mind about that, and a Break/jump combo takes up less space in your case. Phenolic tips do some getting used to though, and almost require a center ball hit.

A standard taper started out 8-10"

A pro taper started out 10-13", now is 13-15"

An European taper is like a long cone shape, with no part of the shaft being the same diameter at any 2 points. (constantly tapers down to the tip).

There is also a straight taper, which a lot of Snooker cues have.

If you want to get one, the J&amp;J would be a good to try first, because you would have minimal investment in it, and
you could always sell it without losing any, or just a little money in it.

Several AZbilliards.com members sell them. Just go to the
buy/sell section and post that you want one.

dr_dave
09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
FYI, you can find answers to almost all cue questions under "cue" and "cue tip" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> I have played for years but I am still very much a mediocre player. I have never tried having a specific "break cue" or a "jump cue." What makes a jump cue a jump cue? Is it a stiffer shaft? Greater mass? Same question for a break cue? On a slightly different topic, how would I specify a "non-pro" taper, is that called "standard taper?" "Constant taper?" <hr /></blockquote>

1Time
09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Phenolic tips do some getting used to though, and almost require a center ball hit.
<hr /></blockquote>

I know little about phenolic tips, but I certainly would not consider it an ideal tip for a jump cue if it restricts my ability to apply spin to the CB while jumping. I suppose though it would come in handy if able to pull off a shot I otherwise could not.