PDA

View Full Version : Racking in professional 9-ball tournaments

Alaskan_Pool
09-18-2007, 06:25 AM
I was watching the challenge of champions a while back and it could have just been the camera angles I guess but it really looked like they were racking the balls with the center ball of the 9 ball pack centered over the foot spot, rather than the apex ball. They showed a few shots from the side of the rack and I could line up with my eye the wing ball with the the second diamond. Was this just an optical illusion? And if not, why are they doing this? I know I've had a lot of trouble getting the head ball to go in the side pocket, which seems to be so common even with soft breaks lately on television. Is this the reason?

Deeman3
09-18-2007, 07:45 AM
I believe it was to make the corner ball less predictable in using the Sardo rack if I remember correctly. Corey and others had developed that soft break and were making the corner ball on every break. They moved the 9 to the spot in an effort to reduce this and even restricted the position of the cue ball for the break at one time.

okinawa77
09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes...indeed!

But now you have guys like Neil Feijen pocketing the one ball in the side on every break.

Alaskan_Pool
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Aha so I wasn't seeing things. Is it better for the sport to have such consistent racking using the Sardo? It looks like if they went back to winner breaks format with the way this is going, everyone would be out there practicing the lag 5 hours a day.

bluey2king
09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
This is why Joe Tucker thinks the pros should go to 10 ball.
It changes the way the Break is predictable.
He might be right.
I would like to learn the soft break. Is there any info around to help me?
Thanks!!