PDA

View Full Version : Rule questions about combinations

ucdaggie
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I have two related questions:

Both senerios I am solids and hit a solid first.

1) Can I use an opponents ball to redirect the angle of my ball? Example - a stripe is partially blocking a side pocket.....Can I hit my ball first, then off his ball to direct mine into the pocket?

2) Is it legal to hit a solid-stripe-solid 3-ball combination?

wolfdancer
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
absolutely legal, unless you are playing in a NYC bar....or at the Senior Center up here....

SKennedy
09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Absolutely. However, I'm not usually smart enough to see situations as described in scenario #1, and I try to stay away from 2-ball combinations, much less 3-ball combos. But speaking of hitting your own ball first, I watched a very skilled player in a match the other day play absolutely flawlessly (8-ball) and he had 1 ball remaining with easy shape for the 8-ball. The 8-ball was lying about 2 inches from the path between the cue ball and his object ball. Game over? Nope....he hit the 8-ball with the cue ball and made the 8 in a corner pocket. We were all absolutely dumb-founded. It was like he did it on purpose. No miscue. No body said anything to him for at least 30 minutes. I've never seen that before.

Rich R.
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ucdaggie:</font><hr> I have two related questions:

1) Can I use an opponents ball to redirect the angle of my ball? Example - a stripe is partially blocking a side pocket.....Can I hit my ball first, then off his ball to direct mine into the pocket?

2) Is it legal to hit a solid-stripe-solid 3-ball combination? <hr /></blockquote>Both senerios are legal by all official rules that I know of, however, don't assume these shots will be legal in your local bar. Most often, bars don't use any of the official sets of rules.

Bob_Jewett
09-18-2007, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ucdaggie:</font><hr> I have two related questions:

2) Is it legal to hit a solid-stripe-solid 3-ball combination? <hr /></blockquote>
I think you may be coming at this from the wrong direction. It may be simpler to understand what things constitute fouls, and then realize that if you sink your ball and don't commit a foul, you get to shoot again. Under some rules, you have to sink your ball in the intended pocket, but not in all rule sets. (The APA allows "slop.")

So, it is a foul if the first object ball the cue ball hits is your opponent's. It is not a foul to move your opponent's balls. How your ball gets into the pocket -- as long as there is no foul -- doesn't make any difference; you call only the ball and pocket under call-shot rules.

okinawa77
09-18-2007, 03:31 PM
In old school Bar Rules, you cannot use your opponent's ball(s) to pocket your ball. It is termed as, all shots must be clean shots. But not too many people are old school like that, so it doesn't come up too often. And some bar rules might state that you cannot shoot a bank carom shot on the 8 ball. I happened to learn that once while playing a guy who liked to cover the pockets with his balls. So, I banked the 8 into the foot rail and the 8 came back and hit the cue ball, sending the 8 in the side pocket. I told him it was a clean shot because I didn't hit any of his balls, but he seemed determined that it was not allowed by bar rules.....Whatever....sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.

Rackum_n_Crackum
09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
That's why it's best to always clearly call your shot before taking it.. If your opponent has a problem with it for any reason, it can be discussed before the shot has been taken..

okinawa77
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackum_n_Crackum:</font><hr> That's why it's best to always clearly call your shot before taking it.. If your opponent has a problem with it for any reason, it can be discussed before the shot has been taken.. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yes indeed! And be cautious with the guys that make up rules as you are playing...</font color>