PDA

View Full Version : The myth of 13mm

johan
09-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Does anybody know where the 12.5 or 13 mm standard tip size is comming from ? How long it has been the standard ... and why ?
Why not 15 or 10 mm ? Is there any scientific base of this accepted tipsize?

I'm really curious to get some answers on this.

Johan

Chopstick
09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
It is based on the average size of peoples hands. When they make a closed bridge, that is the average size of the hole that most people are comfortable with.

Deeman3
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dr_dave
09-19-2007, 10:17 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave
no web URL signature here

Bob_Jewett
09-19-2007, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johan:</font><hr> Does anybody know where the 12.5 or 13 mm standard tip size is comming from ? How long it has been the standard ... and why ?
Why not 15 or 10 mm ? Is there any scientific base of this accepted tipsize?

I'm really curious to get some answers on this.

Johan
<hr /></blockquote>
I think it is largely but not completely tradition. In his book on carom billiards from about 1890, Maurice Vignaux recommends a 16-mm tip for the small games at carom. Now the standard is more like 11-12mm.

The main practical consideration is squirt (what you would call "throw" or cue ball deflection). Smaller shafts have less squirt. The second most important consideration, I think, is durability. 16-mm tips are still sometimes used for masse cues at artistic billiards.

bsmutz
09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johan:</font><hr> Does anybody know where the 12.5 or 13 mm standard tip size is comming from ? <font color="purple">Nobody really knows, but we suspect Europe as they seem to be reluctant to accept our superior system of measurement. </font color> How long it has been the standard ... and why ? <font color="purple">Again, nobody knows for sure how long it has been the standard, but this year marks the 147th anniversary of its introduction. </font color>
Why not 15 or 10 mm ? <font color="purple">Because 13mm is closer to 1/2" (see reference above to superior measurement system). </font color> Is there any scientific base of this accepted tipsize? <font color="purple">The scientific base for the 13mm tip size is located in just outside Baden-Baden, Germany. I would imagine that it is as Bob Jewett and Chopstick have suggested, a combination of what works well and what feels comfortable to the majority of users. It can be turned down for those who prefer a smaller tip and anything much larger is going to be too squirty. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
09-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Bill, also when they switched over from concave shaped tips to convex...they couldn't shape the radii of the smaller size to that of a nickel...and the popular slogan of the day then was "what this country needs is a good 5 cents tip"
Of course with inflation, the 10c tip is now the standard.

cushioncrawler
09-19-2007, 07:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johan:</font><hr> Does anybody know where the 12.5 or 13 mm standard tip size is comming from ? How long it has been the standard ... and why ? Why not 15 or 10 mm ? Is there any scientific base of this accepted tipsize? I'm really curious to get some answers on this. Johan<hr /></blockquote>Johan -- Dont listen to all of them here posters, they are all pulling your leg. Its not very well known, but the size of the tip haz been slowly standardized over a very long time to suite the size of the commonly available chalk blocks. madMac.

pooltchr
09-19-2007, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> In his book on carom billiards from about 1890, Maurice Vignaux recommends a 16-mm tip for the small games at carom. Now the standard is more like 11-12mm.

<hr /></blockquote>
Probably the result of some kind female trying to help her man's ego by telling him bigger isn't necessarily better! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Steve