PDA

View Full Version : The end is near for PettyPoint...

SPetty
09-20-2007, 02:34 PM
If you don't care about PettyPoint news, please skip this post and accept my apologies for wasting your time... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you do care, I am saddened to report that the end is near for PettyPoint Pool Hall, "The Best Little Pool House in Texas"! An unlikely place made famous through our very own CCB!

I was looking for a couple of old posts, and am amazed to see how many posts come up when searching for "PettyPoint"! And that's when it's spelled correctly (all one word, special capitalization...) I spent way too much time today reading some of them and reliving the past!

We bought a house in the Dallas suburb of Plano, and will be slowly moving to the city over the next 10-15 years or so. Part of that is to repair or tear down our house (we won't know which one until we tear into the floor damage and see if it's fixable). Either way, we're going to need the pool hall building as a place to live, so I can't use it for my pool hall any more. I'm so sad... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, we'll be closing down PettyPoint Pool Hall in the next couple of months. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm hoping to sell or trade in my 9 foot Diamond Pro for one of the 7 foot Diamond smart tables that will fit in the house in Plano (I made sure while house hunting to get a house that would properly hold a bar box sized table), and I'll also have to get rid of my like-new Valley Cougar bar box. (Anyone know anyone that will be in the market for one of those tables?)

Before we close it down, though, I've just got to have at least one more PettyPoint gathering! A Farewell To PettyPoint Pool Hall / Last call, y'all pool playing party!

So how does October 27 sound for the Farewell to PettyPoint Pool Hall pool playing party? Anyone up for it? I could easily be persuaded to move it to November 3 if that’s better…

Any takers?

SKennedy
09-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I've never been to your place, but would like to go and "honor" it. As it stands right now, either date works for me. I take it from Deeman that you are in Terrell (I'm in Tyler). He would not disclose the specific location, but if not provided I'm sure I can figure out where.

wolfdancer
09-20-2007, 02:46 PM
That's very sad to hear, and I'm sure that everyone that was fortunate enough to visit there is going to miss the place.
hope the new "digs" work out...and who knows that the future won't bring about another Petty Point.
Now the good news for me is my "room" had a chance now in the annual BD "best of...." Maybe if I apply that paint that I bought 2 years ago...to the walls, and hang up one of them "dogs playing pool" pictures....I might have a chance, this time.
Seriously, I hope you take some photos, and post them here for the many new members that haven't seen the legendary..."best little..." I'd like to see the room myself, before it changes.
hope you have a great final get together....

Deeman3
09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I am hooked. I'll start planning for the 27th unless you have to change it. I hope some of the other "regulars" can make it as well.

SKennedy
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm sure I do not gualify as a "regular" but would still like to go.

ras314
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Sad news indeed, ya'll have gone to a lot of work to have to move.

I'd like to make the gathering, far as when it makes little difference to me. In fact I have a 27 ft travel trailer that might to be big enough to camp out in for a while if it would help you hang on to the tables. Don't have a truck big enough to pull it though.

I know of one person here who likes to gamble on bar tables and wants a good table, but hasn't built his room yet. I'll check with him, I may have enough room to store it for a while. Swapping your Diamond for a 7 ft anything is a bummer.

Check with you later.
Roy

9 Ball Girl
09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh Noooooooo. I won't be able to make either date BUT I'm glad to have been able to visit The Best Little Pool House In Texas in my time. Sigh. It's so funny 'cause just yesterday I was going through some pictures that I have stored away and of course I came across my visit to PettyPoint back in June 2005. What a time it was. Some highlights of my weekend there:

- Getting picked up by SPetty at Fort Worth!
- Seeing cows for the first time grazing by the expressway!
- Riding with SPetty!
- Seeing and hearing roosters for the first time!
- Meeting a bunch of CCBers of the South!
- Being the only person with an accent!
- Listening to my Texan music CD!
- Waking up and playing some in my P.J.s!
- Poolturtle (teehee)
- Me, Cane, and the Daddy Long Leg creature thing!
- Jose Cuervo!
- A little beef with my onion burger!
- Molly!
- Leroy's tour of the Petty property on a John Deer!
- Sitting on a porch barefooted! How country is that!
- Ah $*#%$ it!
- Donating my legs to all of the blood-sucking Texan bugs!
- Sleeping in a comfy comfy bed in a room full of buddies!
- Playing with a house cue and never warming up!
- Sucking the sugar off the nuts! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This list can go on and on. But the best? The hospitality offered to me by Leroy and SPetty. You guys are the best! I would definitely go to the new PettyPoint...

wolfdancer
09-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Say,in the meantime, while you are waiting for the new Pettypoint to be built.....
you can have all them luxuries here at Jackspoint.
We got cows, roosters nearby, an I got bedbugs here at the house. I'll turn on some s**-kicking music, buy you an in n burger,get you a bottle of Jose Cuervo...whatever it takes. you can go barefoot,and clothes are optional...and you won't have to share the room with all them buddies, no more then two to a room here.

ras314
09-20-2007, 06:45 PM
"Me, Cane, and the Daddy Long Leg creature thing!"

Funniest thing I've seen! My first thought was you two were shot so quick did you hit the ground. Second thought was damn, no gun on me and where did it come from. Took a while to realize that itty bitty spider was the culprit! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Would poke fun at Cane but he be bigger than me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich R.
09-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm really sorry to read this news.
I know how much work you and your husband put into PettyPoint and I'm sure your decision to move didn't come easily.
I have never visited PettyPoint, but I will remember it fondly, just the same. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
One condition, I get to stay over for quiet pool early-early to pay my last respects. Deeman's still sleeping???F'quiet!, I play lout and sing "Welcome Madame President 2008, while leaving Clinton bumper stickers on his buggy", already probably stuck in the swimming pool....sid~~~just funin', well maybe

Sid_Vicious
One condition, I get to stay over for quiet pool early-early to pay my last respects. Deeman's still sleeping???F'quiet!, I play lout and sing "Welcome Madame President 2008, while leaving Clinton bumper stickers on his buggy", already probably stuck in the swimming pool....sid~~~just funin', well maybe

Sid_Vicious

9 Ball Girl
09-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Hey Sid, can you say that one more time? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I was sitting on one of them plastic chairs that don't slide back while on dirt. Duh! So when I attempted to slide back, the damn chair flipped me over and on the ground I was! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ras314
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
That gives me an idea. I asked Alice to make it as mild as possible that time, wonder how her "normal" chili would go over? Might need something a bit more resistant than those little plastic cups, think Spetty said something about them melting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might make a fitting scene for the end of "The Best Little Pool Hall in Texas" what with everybody all red faced and in tears.

Eric.
09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Tis a sad day...

I thought PettyPoint was the best home poolroom I've ever seen (pictures of, anyway).

I missed my chance to visit in 2005 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric

PoolFool
09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I will be there. But hey, why not burn the house down, haul in a double wide and keep on shooting.
What about Molly?

PoolFool

wolfdancer
09-21-2007, 09:19 AM
This has been around for years now...might be a classic
web page (http://www.bigdaddyskitchen.com/Tall%20Tales%20and%20Anecdotes/Stories/The%20Chili%20Contest.htm)

Deeman3
09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Of course, Billiards Digest agreed with you on that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Saddest news I ever heard, because it affects so many people. I don't think the place can be replaced. Count me in SPetty, CB will be there.

I just passed the 65 year milestone, gotta have as much as I can have from now on...

I do hope all can come, it will a "genuine bash" to remember. Please save me a spot to stay over.

SPetty
09-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks, all, for not making me feel too foolish for posting this. I've talked myself into moving the date to November 3, so mark your calendars!!!

I'll answer everyone here rather than in individual posts to keep the thread from growing too long...<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr>He would not disclose the specific location, but if not provided I'm sure I can figure out where.<hr /></blockquote>So if I don't tell you where it is, you'll show up anyway??!?

You're welcome to come, SKennedy. Please PM your email address to me.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>I'd like to see the room myself, before it changes.<hr /></blockquote>Well c'mon down, wolfdancer!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>I know of one person here who likes to gamble on bar tables and wants a good table, but hasn't built his room yet. I'll check with him, I may have enough room to store it for a while. Swapping your Diamond for a 7 ft anything is a bummer.<hr /></blockquote>Thanks, ras314. Yes, it is a bummer, but the 9' just doesn't fit in the new 16X19 room that I have. Looking forward to seeing you again. Notice the date change to November 3.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>I'm glad to have been able to visit The Best Little Pool House In Texas in my time.<hr /></blockquote>That was a real fun time when you came. And when you saw those cows - priceless! I'm glad you have fond memories, and thanks for coming up with The Best Little Pool House In Texas nickname!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I'm sure your decision to move didn't come easily.<hr /></blockquote>You have such a great understanding of people. It definitely was not an easy decision, but it had to be made. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It would be cool if you and Cathy could make it! It's only about 1350 miles by car!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>...President...Clinton...
...President...Clinton...
...President...Clinton...<hr /></blockquote>No politics at PettyPoint!
No politics at PettyPoint!
No politics at PettyPoint!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>Tis a sad day...<hr /></blockquote>Yes, tis. I'm sorry you didn't make it in 2005 - that was a fun time. Of course, you're welcome to come down for the November 3 gathering - it will be a fun time too.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>Count me in SPetty, CB will be there.<hr /></blockquote>Good deal - looking forward to it! And Happy Birthday to you! <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>Might make a fitting scene for the end of "The Best Little Pool Hall in Texas" what with everybody all red faced and in tears.<hr /></blockquote>I loved that chili! But it was a might spicy!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr>I will be there. But hey, why not burn the house down, haul in a double wide and keep on shooting.
What about Molly?<hr /></blockquote>Well, I wouldn't even be having this gathering if you couldn't make it. Note the new November 3 date.

Let's see, burn the house down, catch the woods on fire, burn all the neighbor's houses down... Have you priced double-wides lately??!? (Interestingly enough, that was something that we did while doing this decision-making...)

The plan is that the animals will live out their natural lives at PettyPoint. The final move is still years away.

<hr /></blockquote>Okay, I've got ras314, Sid_Vicious, and ceebee staying the night. If anyone else, let me know.

Deeman3
09-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Ras,

Don't bring the strong chili back, I'm still hurting.

Deeman3
09-21-2007, 10:23 AM
If I am coming all that way, I'm sure going to spend the night. If you get too full up I'll do a local hotel. I am resetting for the November date.

I bet Wolfdancer won't make it as if he shows up the building will lean so far left, it may fall over.

However, it would be good to see him there.

ryushen21
09-21-2007, 10:41 AM
So sad it is to hear this. I love PettyPoint and all the good times everyone had there. I am a definite for the last ever get together on Nov. 3. Save me a bed if it's not full up already!

Wally_in_Cincy
09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Boo! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For some reason my work filter is not blocking me from CCB lately. Just don't have time to post.

I was lucky enough to visit PettyPoint back in April. Too bad the couple traveling with us got antsy after a few hours and insisted on driving to freaking Waco to spend the night, of all places (we were on our way to San Antonio)

Anyway sorry about the pool hall SPetty. I hope you change your mind and figure out a way to keep it even in a downsized fashion if possible.

Back to work.

Take care all

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w144/Wally-Cincinnati/PettyPorch2.jpg

Brian in VA
09-21-2007, 02:51 PM
SPetty

Oh no!!!! I never got to PettyPoint and now it's going away! If there is anyway I can make it for November 3, I'll let you know but I don't think it's going to happen.

My best to you and Leroy and your beloved PettyPoint Pool Hall. BTW, I still wear your ties at every opportunity when I have to have one on. I'm going to Tokyo in October and plan to break them out there, too!

Best regards,
Brian in VA

Scott Lee
09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
SPetty...Although I don't post nearly as much here as I used to, I still read a lot, and this news shocked me...to say the least. I have MANY great memories of PettyPoint Pool Hall...too many of which are emblazened in permanent photos! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I would REALLY like to attend this last shindig, and I'll do what I can. Not sure, as I have some other commitments. Funny thing is, I have a Texas trip planned for a couple of weeks after that date already! Geez...this is like closing down a national monument to home poolrooms! Well...if I don't make it, I know you'll do a couple of 'shooters' in my honor! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Rich R.
09-21-2007, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I'm sure your decision to move didn't come easily.<hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>You have such a great understanding of people. It definitely was not an easy decision, but it had to be made. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It would be cool if you and Cathy could make it! It's only about 1350 miles by car!<hr /></blockquote>
I don't know if I understand people all that well, but I know if I owned a place like PettyPoint, I wouldn't want to leave.
I wish we could make it for the last PettyPoint party, but I don't think it is in the schedule. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Not visiting PettyPoint will be one of those things that I will always regret. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fran Crimi
09-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh no! Not PettyPoint! I haven't been there but saw the lovely pictures from the article in BD. Plus, I have my very own PettyPoint wooden disks which SPetty graciously bestowed upon me during her stay in NYC.

Well, I guess nothing stands still in life and I'm sure you're doing what's best for you and yours. Best of luck with the new venture, SPetty.

Fran

wolfdancer
09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Judging by the lack of posts....the end might by near for the CCB as well............................

SPetty
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Just a tiny bump to remind those who said "maybe" that this really fun yet awfully sad event is coming up in less than two weeks! The "last minute" air fares are probably low now! And to remind Deeman of the date...

So far, those from CCB who said they're coming are:<ul type="square">
Deeman (DeeWoman?)
Spiderman (plus Paul) (Spiderwoman?)
PoolFool
ryushen21
ras314
ceebee
Sid_Vicious
poolturtle
stroker (tony molasses)
[/list]

Gate opens at NOON - Bring Your Own Drinks!

See you soon!

SKennedy
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
You guys have fun....wish I could make it.

Vagabond
10-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the plans to dismantle an historical monument.People who visted the place( especially Sid and 9Ball girl) will cherish their memories forever /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Definitely! And someone please do give PoolTurtle and Ryushen and everyone else a big 'ole hug for me!

SpiderMan
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Ras,

Don't bring the strong chili back, I'm still hurting. <hr /></blockquote>

Ignore that wimp and bring your green chili. I liked it!

SpiderMan

Deeman3
10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

Ignore that wimp and bring your green chili. I liked it!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Them's fightin' words in South Memphis. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

ras314
10-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Got a new car and just discovered you need to make appointments 2 weeks in advance to get a Honda dealer to do their dealer service racket! So wasted a day buying oil and stuff nearest place for Mobile 1 (100 miles). Dang Civic is about 7" above ground so I'm going to have fun today rotating tires and changin oil, besides doing the annual get ready for winter stuff.

Whatever, I expect to head for Dallas one way or another but probably won't get to bring any hot stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SPetty
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm guessing ras314 is on the road now and Deeman will be hitting the road soon.

Saturday's weather looks to be outstanding - sunny and 70's. Great day for a drive out to PettyPoint! It's not too late for some of y'all to play hooky tomorrow and make your way here for the last call... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm kinda surprised Vagabond isn't coming... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DickLeonard
11-02-2007, 08:10 AM
SPetty my spirit is on the way.####

SpiderMan
11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I'm guessing ras314 is on the road now and Deeman will be hitting the road soon.
<hr /></blockquote>

I got a wimp-out email from Deeman. Guess I shouldn't have challenged him to that one-on-one set /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is the turtle coming?

SpiderMan

Deeman3
11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
You got me. I couild not stand the Spiderman challenge...

I hope you all have a great time and no one gets hurt... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SPetty
11-03-2007, 08:43 AM
So, some folks have recently let me know that they're not going to make it.

One used the lame excuse of "gotta work", while another fessed up that they forgot and made other plans, and one used the old standby "death in the family", but I think Spiderman's excuse takes the cake...

A few weeks ago, Spiderman got a good deal on weenies, so he had volunteered to bring the weenies to the party. My phone rang at about 4 a.m. this morning, but I couldn't get to the phone in time. The message starts with "You'll have to get the weenies, I'm in the emergency room..." I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't, so I called him back.

Turns out that Spiderman was minding his own business traveling down LBJ Freeway at about 65 miles an hour on his motorcycle when he was rear-ended. He said he sort of remembers driving down the road, and the next thing he knows, he's waking up in the emergency room. The cops said that there were a couple of cars racing on the highway, and one lost control and hit him.

I'm shocked that anyone could survive being knocked off their motorcycle at 65 miles per hour, and more shocked that he would think to call me about the weenies! He says he has a broken finger and possibly a broken ankle, but he sounded lucid and seemed to be mentally fine. But, he wouldn't make it to the party.

Get well, Spiderman! See you soon.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-03-2007, 09:06 AM
That's scary. I am glad he is ok. His truck got whacked about 3 or 4 years ago too IIRC. Tough luck fer sure.

Deeman3
11-03-2007, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> You got me. I could not stand the Spiderman challenge...

I hope you all have a great time and no one gets hurt... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Damn, I really did mean I hoped no one get's hurt. I'm glad he will recover. I'll call him in a few minutes and accuse him of ducking Sid's Game, yeah, right.

65 MPH is a miracle that he was not hurt more. You just have to pretent that every car driver is trying to kill you and still you can get slamed. </font color>

Fran Crimi
11-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Wow, what an incredible survival story. I hope he will be okay and that his injuries are only minor. I attended a wheelchair pool tournament in NYC and I was shocked to find out that most of the players there suffered motorcycle accidents.

Fran

wolfdancer
11-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I've lost some friends to motorcycle accidents, and worked once with a guy that co-founded a chapter of the Hell's Angels.... nice guy, by the way....he told me a few gruesome stories as well.

Rich R.
11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm happy to hear that Spiderman is alright, for the most part. That is one heck of a story and he is very lucky to survive.

On second thought, maybe you should verify his story, before letting him off of the hook for the winnies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery for Spiderman!

Scott Lee
11-05-2007, 12:57 AM
GADZOOKS! Sure glad to hear that Marty is not hurt badly!
I heard he was up for the role in Spiderman IV!...Toby was bowing out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif All kiddin' aside, get well Spiderman...and SPetty, I sure hope you did a couple shooters for me! I still hope to see you in about a month, when I come through Dallas!

Scott Lee

Deeman3
11-05-2007, 08:22 AM
I talked to Spiderman on Saturday afternoon. He is in good spirits but went through a pretty bad wreck and is very lucky to be still here. His major broken bone is his collarbone and he's pretty much banged up but should make a full recovery. The guy who hit him is probably headed for the Mexico border now.

I'll let Marty tell the whole story, as much as he remembers, but he ended up under the front of the car and then, all of a sudden, in the emergency room.

I'm just happy that you can fold our most flexible spiderman up and he still come out alive....

wolfdancer
11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the update....he's really lucky to come out of this with just minimal damage.
I lost a few friends, including a guy and his wife, to cycle accidents. My Hell's Angel co worker told me about an accident where the bike crashed into a slow moving vehicle and the cyclist flew off one way his passenger the other way. He lost an arm and a leg, and she lost the opposite arm and leg.....kind of a hard to believe story, but....
My sister and her husband rode down on their new Harley last year to attend a NASCAR event....she had to fly back on a family emergency (minor one)...and on the way back, he wrecked the new HD...and got pretty banged up in the process.
I think the Lord was watching out for my sister

Deeman3
11-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I've had my share but, fortunately, aside from DeeWoman rear ending me a couple of months ago, not a really bad one in a long while. It's just a matter of time when you choose to ride bikes. I know we'd all be better off to sell them and be safer but, of course, that's not what life is all about.

I do carry one cigarette, a lighter and a shot of morphine with me so, the next time, at least I'll be comfortable while waiting for the ambulance, if I'm lucky. I'm not gonna bleed out with regrets.

Eric.
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
D@mn, Spidey. At least you aren't seriously hurt, so I can poke at you a lil...

Between your truck and bike, how much do you pay in insurance?!

Eric &gt;remembers when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous