PDA

View Full Version : From Players to Lucasi?

bignick31985
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
To get some info out, if it helps you guys help me, I'm a 5, only play 8 ball and consider myself to be of a 6 skill, but I get in my own way alot, lol. I seem to be my own worst enemy sometimes on the table, I'm sure some of you can relate to that.

I've been playing for a short period of time on a league, but have played for a long time casually. I picked up a Players $40 cue when I started and its now seen better days. Nicks on the shaft, dents in the butt area, discoloration/fading and it isnt perfectly straight.

I think I've escalated my game enough to warrant a nice cue that will hold up over time. I've been looking at the Lucasi LD1, LD8 and the LET cues. I love my Players Le Pro tip, and I've heard good thigns about Lucasi tips and their capability of ball control and overall good things about their cues.

Anything a huge difference in each series? I figure the price is possibly higher b/c of different material inlays and such, but performance would be close across the board.

This is what I'mlooking at.
http://www.rockwellbilliards.com/product.asp?specific=2810

DeadCrab
09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I recently went from a Player's sneaky Pete to a low-end McDermott. Both 19 oz.

The biggest difference that I have noticed is the balance. The Players is relatively butt-heavy, the McD has more even weight distribution. This may be due to the positioning of the weight bolt in the Players. I have not opened the McD yet, so I don't know if it has a bolt or not.

Since the stick you are looking at has a bolt, you might want to check the balance characteristics right after you get it. I can't advise as to how "adjustable" this might be by manipulating the bolt weight or position.

bignick31985
09-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I just want something with a nicer feel too it. I mean I love my Players cue, first one I had and all, but it doesnt feel very fluid when I contact the cue ball. I woud like a 19.5oz if they sold it, but since its adjustable I guess I can do that on my own.

Do you know how the tips are on the Lucasi cues? I recently purchased an Action stick for my g/f and the tip is so flat you cannot even shape it. It really needs a new one as putting any english on the cue ball is nearly impossible. And the tip is hard as hell.

DeadCrab
09-21-2007, 06:40 AM
If you like the LePro but want more longevity, you might want to consider having a Moori medium tip put on it. Should be more durable and consistent. I can't get into the Ozone billiards site from work, but they probably sell Lucasi sticks with optional tip upgrade to a Moori.

The standard tips on the Lucasi are Triangles, and based on ratings are slightly harder than LePros. McDermott uses Triangle as their standard tip also. With either LePro or Triangle, tip replacement in 6-9 months would not be unusual. However, they are very inexpensive so replacement would only be $15 or so if you have it done by a pro.

bignick31985
09-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Seyberts online store has an upgrade to a Moori tip. Its an extra $25 for the slow, medium or quick.

If I go with a Moori tip, should I go slow, medium or quick? Judging by the pics that Seyberts shows of all their tips, I'm thinking Quick tip. Its more rounded.

http://www.seyberts.com/pool_cues/pop_ups/pop_tip.php?default_tip_name=Triangle&brand_id=13

I just dont want to end up with a flat tip on the stick before I even use it. The Moori looks like I might have to shape it some? Or is the picture misleading?

I guess if I get the Moori quick and dont like it then I can just have my local billiards store put a LePro or another tip on it. Sorta try some out and see what I like most I guess.

DeadCrab
09-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Layered tips like the Moori are essentially maintainence-free. You don't shape them or use picks on them. They need to be shaped using special tools on a cue lathe. Once shaped, they are supposed to hold it.

When I ordered mine from Ozone, I requested a "nickle radius", and that is what I got. So, when you order it, make sure they will shape it to your specifications.

The pics in the link you posted are all unshaped tips. They probably put a nickle radius on them before shipping, but you might want to make sure before buying.

bignick31985
09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
It didnt say about a nickel or dime tip. Again, I have a local shop I can take it too with all the stuff needed to shape tips and such. Well from what they tell me, lol.

Thanks all for the help. I'll post back with how the tip is and cue as well.

bignick31985
09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Also when I ordered they have me $20 in Seyberts Bucks, so I got a case of chalk, shaft slicker, chalk holder, cue cube and bag of powder added to the order for free.

Figured I'd put that up there incase anyone is looking to order something online, you might can get an extra item you need as well.

Randall53
09-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Lacasi makes a good cue. When I was in the market for a new cue, I had a $300 cap for the purchase.

I had a friend tell me about Fury Cues http://www.fury-cues.com/ and I tried out a couple. I bought one and really like it a lot. They come with the Le Pro tip, are very solid cues with some great looking wood and silver inlays. Good Luck in your search....

Rich R.
09-21-2007, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bignick31985:</font><hr> If I go with a Moori tip, should I go slow, medium or quick? Judging by the pics that Seyberts shows of all their tips, I'm thinking Quick tip. Its more rounded.
<font color="red"> Since you have never used a Moori tip before, go with the medium. It is probably as hard as a LePro. I use a Moori slow, but that is my choice, not yours.
Also, tips can be, and should be, reshaped to the shape of your choice. It is no big deal to reshape a tip. No matter what tip you get, you should reshape it from time to time. How often you reshape will depend a lot on the type of tip you buy. Some require reshaping more often than others.
BTW, never buy a cue based on what tip is on it. It is not a big deal to change a tip and get what you like.</font color>
I just dont want to end up with a flat tip on the stick before I even use it. The Moori looks like I might have to shape it some? Or is the picture misleading?
<font color="red"> The pictue is probably misleading. However, Moori's come flat from the factory. They are shaped when installed on the cue. If you want a certain shape, ask for it. </font color>

I guess if I get the Moori quick and dont like it then I can just have my local billiards store put a LePro or another tip on it. Sorta try some out and see what I like most I guess.
<font color="red"> Although I strongly recommend trying different tips to determine what you like, I doubt if you will go back to a LePro after trying a Moori. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
09-21-2007, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
Layered tips like the Moori are essentially maintainence-free. You don't shape them or use picks on them. They need to be shaped using special tools on a cue lathe. Once shaped, they are supposed to hold it.
<hr /></blockquote>No tip is maintainence free. Some layered tips require less maintainence than others, but a little reshaping, from time to time is normal. This can be done with a good shaping tool, and you don't need any special tools or a lathe. I do mine with a Williard shaper and I have never had a problem.
You are correct that the use of picks are not recommended on layered tips, but I do know people who use them with no problem. I do not use picks on my layered tips. The use of common shaping tools is not a problem at all.

bignick31985
09-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Right when I started buying a couple cues (for the g/f and such) I really paid attention to the tip. Glad you guys are showin me the light on that part, lol.

Cool info guys. I went with a Quick tip, just b/c. I mean it's better than a LePro, and I can always change it out if I really dont like it. I'm sure it'll be like night and day though.

I'm guessing a Quick tip is harder than Medium tip. Big difference really in ball control?

1Time
09-23-2007, 12:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bignick31985:</font><hr>
I'm guessing a Quick tip is harder than Medium tip. Big difference really in ball control? <hr /></blockquote>

The quick Moori is probably slightly harder/faster than your LePro, but not necessarily since the hardness of LePro tips is known to vary from one tip to another.

With regard to controlling the CB, a medium or even a slow/soft tip likely will give you better CB control than Moori's quick tip. It's too bad you didn't get better advise here sooner.

bignick31985
09-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Thats alright. Last night I went ahead and ordered 1 Slow Moori tip, 2 Medium Moori tips, and even 1 Talisman Pro Medium tip.

Figured if I got a couple extra and I'm not feeling the Quick, then I can have it swapped out. And my g/f's Action cue needed a new tip, so she'll get a Moori Medium as well.

Again thank you guys for the info. It has been a BIG help in boostin my knowledge on tips. Loving the forums, so I think I'll hang around'em, lol.

bignick31985
09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Arrived today. Very nice looking, very nice feeling as well.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/bignick31985/100_0362.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/bignick31985/100_0361.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/bignick31985/100_0363.jpg

Rich R.
09-26-2007, 11:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> With regard to controlling the CB, a medium or even a slow/soft tip likely will give you better CB control than Moori's quick tip. It's too bad you didn't get better advise here sooner. <hr /></blockquote>
1Time, I really don't know why you said it was too bad that Bignick didn't get better advise. If you read all of the posts, no one suggested that he get the Moori quick. In fact, I suggested he start with the medium.
It seems to me, Bignick made his own decision to get the quick tip, which is fine. The most important point of this thread is that he is not married to any one particular tip and he can easily change to another, if he is not pleased.

bignick31985
09-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Well I ordered the cue before I really got alot of feedback. I probably would have ordered the Quick any ways. But I do have a few others still on the way (medium, slow and a Talisman) just to try as well.

I think I got plenty of good advice, I just believe he thought that a faster reply would have kept me from getting the quick tip. No biggie guys! Trust me, lol. I love the forums and it seems like htere are alot of knowledgable people on here.

1Time
09-27-2007, 10:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> With regard to controlling the CB, a medium or even a slow/soft tip likely will give you better CB control than Moori's quick tip. It's too bad you didn't get better advise here sooner. <hr /></blockquote>
1Time, I really don't know why you said it was too bad that Bignick didn't get better advise. If you read all of the posts, no one suggested that he get the Moori quick. In fact, I suggested he start with the medium.
It seems to me, Bignick made his own decision to get the quick tip, which is fine. The most important point of this thread is that he is not married to any one particular tip and he can easily change to another, if he is not pleased. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.,

I said too bad because the OP was not given enough info to help him make a tip choice that was more in line with his expectations. That the OP made his own decision irrespective of the posted advice supports my “too bad” statement.

Bignick,

That’s a nice looking cue. You take a cue like yours with good weight and balance, and put a tip on it that feels right, and you’ll be set to take you game to the next level.

bignick31985
09-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I like the quick tip so far, but the medium and slow tips came today, so I'm gonna put a medium on my g/f's cue and see how it feels, and if I like it more then I'll toss the other Moori medium on mine, and swap the hard tip over to my break/jump stick.