PDA

View Full Version : Using a Soft Tip?

okinawa77
09-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Does anyone use soft tips?

If so, do you experience any advantages/disadvantages?

Does Elk Master make the softest tips? Hardness rating: 60.1

Deeman3
09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Many do but most good players prefer a harder tip for consistency and for longevity. If you use a soft tip, you will get good action on the ball but will be spending a lot of time trimming the edge and replacing it more often.

billiards89
09-21-2007, 03:55 PM
i had a hard tip on my viking then got a predator with a medium tip it seems to be just right not alot of maintenence goog feel

Randall53
09-21-2007, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote okinawa77:</font><hr> Does anyone use soft tips?

Does Elk Master make the softest tips? Hardness rating: 60.1 <hr /></blockquote>

I have an Elk Master on one of my cues. It grips the cue ball very well when using english, but it is very soft and it does require more maintenance. If you shoot a really soft game, then the Elk Master will last a while before mushrooming. The tip of my main cue (Fury) has a La Pro tip on it. A friend turned me on to Fury Cues a while back and I really do like the Fury with the La Pro tip a lot.

Rich R.
09-21-2007, 06:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote okinawa77:</font><hr> Does anyone use soft tips?

Does Elk Master make the softest tips? Hardness rating: 60.1 <hr /></blockquote>
IMHO, tip hardness is a personal choice and you have to decide what tip you like the best. Don't go by what others use. Decide for yourself.
There are many pro players and advanced amateurs using everything from the softest tip to the hardest tip. Try a number of different tips and get an idea of what you like and then stick with it.

1Time
09-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Elkmaster has the softest rating I've found online.

How often it will require maintenance depends on whether it was put in a vice first, whether you break with it, how hard you hit, and how much you play.

The major benefit of a softer tip is it's generally easier to get more action on the CB than harder tips; hitting more off center cue is less of a risk to miscue. I consider the greater likelihood of more frequent maintenance a very minor drawback. However, the factor I do consider important in choosing a tip is its "feel" when hitting.

I can literally feel the CB releasing from the tip much faster with a hard tip than with a soft tip. With a hard tip, the release of the CB feels instantaneous. But by comparison a soft tip feels like it grabs the CB and the CB releases from the tip in a continuous and non-instantaneous action. The softer the tip, the more I am able to perceive this continuous action. And the perception I get of the "delay" between the CB hitting and releasing from the tip is what most determines how a tip "feels".

So when I shoot a power draw, I want to feel the tip grab the CB with maximum "delay". But when I shoot a medium-fast paced shot, I want there to be a comfortable amount of delay, not too fast and not too slow, just the right "feel". My problem with using a soft tip is there can be too much "delay" to where it "feels" too slow.

Choosing a tip is of course a matter of preference; it's what works best for you and your game that should matter most. I play 9-ball the most, shoot off center cue a lot, and prefer imparting spin on the CB with ease and without worry of miscues. So I'm in search of a medium-soft or medium-slow tip. I considered using a vice compressed Elkmaster, but thought it still might hit too slow. Efren Reyes used to use it, so it must be a good tip.

okinawa77
09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for everyones' feedback.

I have been using LePro and Triangle and Moori Medium tips, and I rarely ever have to perform maintenance on the tip. That is why I am going to try a soft tip. It seems to me, that a Medium tip will last me a lifetime.

It's kind of strange. I have a friend that shoots soft with the same tip (medium), and he has to re-shape his tip every 3 weeks. I hit the balls with a smooth, forceful stroke. People tell me I hit the balls a ton. I might re-shape my tip once a year, and mostly I just tap it.

A lot of people tell me I have an incredible stroke. I am just wondering if using a soft tip will allow me to improve the action that I am already getting.

I have tried hard tips, and I really don't like the way they feel. It's like swinging a baseball bat and hitting balls. I think the soft tip will help me.

Anyways, I will let everyone know how the soft tip works out for me.

bignick31985
09-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I've only used a Le Pro tip for the last year. When I ordered my new cue I had a Moori Quick tip put on it. I finally got to play with it tonite.

Granted the guy I played was a master. He broke and ran 3 of the 5 racks he needed to win, and was very familiar with the table. And I was off, to say the least. BUT I did like the quick tip. I could get good action on the cue ball, didnt miscue, and it just felt solid.

1Time
09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bignick31985:</font><hr> I've only used a Le Pro tip for the last year. When I ordered my new cue I had a Moori Quick tip put on it. I finally got to play with it tonite.

Granted the guy I played was a master. He broke and ran 3 of the 5 racks he needed to win, and was very familiar with the table. And I was off, to say the least. BUT I did like the quick tip. I could get good action on the cue ball, didnt miscue, and it just felt solid. <hr /></blockquote>

bignick31985,

How does the Moori quick compare to you LePro? Better - worse? Harder - softer? Faster - slower? Do you think you will prefer it to the softer tips you ordered?

It usually takes me several racks to get used to a new tip. Maybe your game and your opinion of the Moori quick will change over time. It would be interesting to learn of your experiences with your new tips as you try them.

Thanks

okinawa77
09-27-2007, 11:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bignick31985:</font><hr> I've only used a Le Pro tip for the last year. When I ordered my new cue I had a Moori Quick tip put on it. I finally got to play with it tonite.

Granted the guy I played was a master. He broke and ran 3 of the 5 racks he needed to win, and was very familiar with the table. And I was off, to say the least. BUT I did like the quick tip. I could get good action on the cue ball, didnt miscue, and it just felt solid. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Bignick, I am not familiar with the Moori Quick tip. I would guess to say it is a hard tip.
It is true that you can get a lot of cue ball action using a hard tip....depending on how you stroke. I would suspect that you have the back end of the cue higher than most people. I have a little experience using hard tips, and I know how to get cue ball action, but the problem I have is, is the feel of the hit. The hard tip does not favor soft shooters for feel, and miscues are more prevalent with soft strokes.

If you are playing on a slow table, then using a hard tip and stroking hard is the way to go. And you do get a sense of feel on the hit, when stroking hard with hard tips. I recently heard that the great philipino players, use soft tips that are compressed...making them hard tips, and they use longer cues, and have the longer bridge stroke....and the reason is, the tables in the phillipines are slow, and you have to hit the balls a ton to get the cue ball to roll.

I tend to play on fast tables. And most of the televised games are on fast tables. So, it favors a soft stroke.

That is why I have a shaft with a hard tip for slow tables, and I am getting the second shaft re-tipped with a soft tip for fast tables.</font color>

bignick31985
09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
You make a good point. I do tend to keep the rear of my cue higher, unless its called to be lower for a certain shot.

And last night I played on a 7' bar table equipped with 860 cloth. Fast mofo is all I have to say. I could not adjust my game very well. Even after the practice games I just couldnt get the speed right. The ball would go where it needed to but it would just sorta roll past its sweet spot, lol.

Wish I could play on fast tables more, so I could get better adjusted.

Even more discerning is the fact that for our Tri Cup tourney this weekend, we are playing on notoriously quick tables. So I'm gonna have to attempt to make a huge adjustment quickly, lol.

okinawa77
09-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Big nick,

For a quick fix, you could take the weight bolt out of the back of your cue. This would make the cue lighter, and you will not get as much roll on your cue ball. Otherwise, you just have to adjust the strength of your stroke.

Good Luck in your tournament.

okinawa77
09-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I just used my soft tip last night. I like it a lot more than any other tip I have used. I can feel the hit much more. Now, I will monitor how much abuse it will take until I have to re-condition it.