PDA

View Full Version : No Second This Time!

Cornerman
09-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Several months ago, I lamented the fact that I'd had a string of 2nd place finishes for several of the significant tournaments that I've been playing.

Two years ago, I shamelessly crowed about my 2nd place finish at the NH State8-ball Championship. In fact it was this finish that had me pretty much quit my normal pool activities because I felt that it was quite an accomplishment and without a lot of further hours of practice, I didn't have any other goals that I thought was worth the extra effort. Let's face it, sometimes we fall out of love with this game.

Well... as of 1:00 AM this morning, you're (figuratively) looking at the 2007 NH State 8-ball Champion!!!!

The sponsored charity tournament was again held at the beautiful McCue's in Keene, NH ( http://www.mccues.com/ ). The very worthy event charity foundation is Crotched Mountain (http://www.crotchedmountain.org/crotchedmountain/html/home.htm). And often today, these charity and memorial events are the ones I'd rather spend my time.

The event is not open to the professionals, semi-professionals, and other A players. So, it's not an open State Championship, but... LOL... it's as much a State Championship as the local APA State Cup (even moreso, IMO). It's also comparable to, say, the BC World Open being counted as a "World Championship" !!

The tables at McCues are 9' Connellys (furniture tables), with tight pockets, worsted cloth, and explosive cushions. As usual, half or more of the combatents were complaining about the conditions, ball sets, pocket tightness. Funny... the last several players weren't complaining.

So, if I haven't been playing a lot, how did I prepare for this event?

Well... I started by getting a Caesar Salad on Thursday with seven anchovies. Not 6, 5, or 8. Seven is a magic number, after all.

On Friday, I got a haircut. Samson be damned.

On Saturday, I reread a lot of Harry Potter. Again... magic.

On Saturday night, I went out and sang Karaoke. And I drank a lot. Again... magic.

But, make no mistake, I couldn't make a ball to save my life when I first go to the pool hall. I survived my first match, and got in stroke afterwards, rolling over some top competition for the area.

So, there you have the secrets of success. Actually, the bigger secret was that I had no delusions of doing well, and no pressure. The last match was into this morning, so it had some sloppiness to it, but it was still relatively high level of 8-ball.

Okay, turning the brag meter off....

Regards,

Fred Agnir
2007 NH State 8-ball Champion <~~~ and they can't take that away

Deeman3
09-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Fred,

Congratulations and well done. All that equipment finally paid off! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, most of us thought there was absolutely nothing wrong with the string of second place finishes!

wolfdancer
09-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Fred, Congratulations!!! Not only for being State Champion but for living (?) in such a great State.
(I've spent time in Portsmouth, Hampton Beach, and Franconia)
I get a thrill out of winning a $5 entry Bar tournament....State Champion sounds "awesome"

ArizonaPete
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Bravo

cjt08046
09-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Congrats, champ.

09-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Didn't know they played ANYTHING in NH except for "Around The World." But congrats anyway. GF

Eric.
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
AND...there is no asterisk beside your record/title! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric

Deeman3
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> AND...there is no asterisk beside your record/title! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Although many of us have suspected Fred of bulking up with beer and pizza for years, none of those allegations of steroids will ever stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Chopstick
09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> Several months ago, I lamented the fact that I'd had a string of 2nd place finishes for several of the significant tournaments that I've been playing.

Two years ago, I shamelessly crowed about my 2nd place finish at the NH State8-ball Championship.

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I remember that. Good job closing the deal. Now that you have broken through, I am sure there will be more. </font color>

dr_dave
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>Well... as of 1:00 AM this morning, you're (figuratively) looking at the 2007 NH State 8-ball Champion!!!!<hr /></blockquote>Congratulations Fred!!! That's awesome.

Dave

Brian in VA
09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Congratulations! Great shooting Fred! That's something to be proud of bud!

Brian in VA

dg-in-centralpa
09-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Congratulations Fred! Are you able to make the US Open and win back to back tournaments?

DG

Cornerman
09-27-2007, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Congratulations Fred! Are you able to make the US Open and win back to back tournaments?

DG <hr /></blockquote>I'd love to, but it's entirely too busy a time of year for me. Plus, the CCB Tourney is too tough. I can't fade that type of action.

Other than the drinking action....

Fred

dg-in-centralpa
09-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Wish I could say it's a busy time for me, but real estate is very slow right now. Good luck and maybe we'll see you at Valley Forge. Mrs. DG and I will buy you a congratulations drink.

DG

Deeman3
09-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Fred,

I hope I'll see you again at Derby City in January. I hope we can spend some more quality time with our personal bank instructor from Wisconsin. I plan to be there the entire week this time so I'll buy you dinner (No, not in that fine restaurant in the hotel /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif).

Cornerman
09-27-2007, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Fred,

I hope I'll see you again at Derby City in January. I hope we can spend some more quality time with our personal bank instructor from Wisconsin.<hr /></blockquote>
One of the best hour of pool I've ever had.

[ QUOTE ]
I plan to be there the entire week this time so I'll buy you dinner (No, not in that fine restaurant in the hotel /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif). <hr /></blockquote>I'll be sure to take you up on it.

It's getting to that point to start really making sure who all else is going.

Fred