PDA

View Full Version : I've Got a Secret - Frozen Pair on the Spot

Cornerman
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I've been holding onto this secret, if it really is a secret, for several months or even years now. Not because I don't want to share, but because it doesn't come up often enough in my play to take advantage.

It's the dreaded frozen pair spotted, and trying to make the headball into the corner, like you would in one-pocket.

Now, many/most of you have shot this shot many times, seen it many times, and can't possibly wonder what kind of secret there is to it. You've all read Bob Jewett's 10x fuller system (or you should have by now), and you've all seen top one-pocket players pocket this or come close.

But now I've seen dozens of one pocket players trying to show this shot to people, and they miss it over and over until they've adjusted the one glorious time and they say, "just like that!" Ask JoeyA. We watched someone shooting this shot in attempt to show it off a dozen time before he made it. And I had just shot it one time a little earlier (with my method) and buried it on one.

I "discovered" the system that makes this shot so simple, I am amazed I have never seen it in print. In fact, I deduced the theory from another poster, Dr. Dave Alciatore, who talks about judging the natural forward roll of a cueball at and around the halfball hit (~30 +/- a couple) by using your fingers in a peace sign. A peace sign is close enough to 30 for many of us.

For any frozen pair, you can get that first ball rolling forward pretty immediately by just hitting straight at it. Most of us will use draw to get the cueball away from the collision, and possibly inducing forward roll on that first object ball.

So, how to aim? I find the 10x fuller system tough to judge. So, the secret I discovered was to use the peace sign. Put the crook of the fingers over the middle of the front object ball. Point one finger to the pocket. Wherever the other finger pointing, that's the aimpoint.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALX3BALo1PFRb3QDRA3UALX3UeMw1kFRb3kDAi3qEuG30_ degrees&ZZ1uDCC@

If you happen to aim at the center of the pocket, watch where the object ball goes. If it goes left of center, then next time, adjust your aim accordingly.

I show this shot to my teammates and other people, and I'm near 100% on this shot. I'd like to say 100% since I don't recall ever missing with this system, but I'm sure I'll miss sometime soon. And, I dont' just show this as a spot shot.

Try it and report your findings.

Fred <~~~ thanks to Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave

dr_dave
09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Fred,

Great post! I'm glad you've found yet another use for the peace sign. In case you or others haven't seen my draw-shot hand trick, check out my March '06 article (http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2006/march06.pdf). The index and middle fingers can be very useful at the pool table.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> I've been holding onto this secret, if it really is a secret, for several months or even years now. Not because I don't want to share, but because it doesn't come up often enough in my play to take advantage.

It's the dreaded frozen pair spotted, and trying to make the headball into the corner, like you would in one-pocket.

Now, many/most of you have shot this shot many times, seen it many times, and can't possibly wonder what kind of secret there is to it. You've all read Bob Jewett's 10x fuller system (or you should have by now), and you've all seen top one-pocket players pocket this or come close.

But now I've seen dozens of one pocket players trying to show this shot to people, and they miss it over and over until they've adjusted the one glorious time and they say, "just like that!" Ask JoeyA. We watched someone shooting this shot in attempt to show it off a dozen time before he made it. And I had just shot it one time a little earlier (with my method) and buried it on one.

I "discovered" the system that makes this shot so simple, I am amazed I have never seen it in print. In fact, I deduced the theory from another poster, Dr. Dave Alciatore, who talks about judging the natural forward roll of a cueball at and around the halfball hit (~30 +/- a couple) by using your fingers in a peace sign. A peace sign is close enough to 30 for many of us.

For any frozen pair, you can get that first ball rolling forward pretty immediately by just hitting straight at it. Most of us will use draw to get the cueball away from the collision, and possibly inducing forward roll on that first object ball.

So, how to aim? I find the 10x fuller system tough to judge. So, the secret I discovered was to use the peace sign. Put the crook of the fingers over the middle of the front object ball. Point one finger to the pocket. Wherever the other finger pointing, that's the aimpoint.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALX3BALo1PFRb3QDRA3UALX3UeMw1kFRb3kDAi3qEuG30_ degrees&amp;ZZ1uDCC@

If you happen to aim at the center of the pocket, watch where the object ball goes. If it goes left of center, then next time, adjust your aim accordingly.

I show this shot to my teammates and other people, and I'm near 100% on this shot. I'd like to say 100% since I don't recall ever missing with this system, but I'm sure I'll miss sometime soon. And, I dont' just show this as a spot shot.

Try it and report your findings.

Fred &lt;~~~ thanks to Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Fred,I'm anxious to try that. I've played that shot to bank in the second ball, but thought you needed a killer stroke to make the first one...and I have seen it made...thanks for sharing, jjd