PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the underdog wins...

wolfdancer
09-26-2007, 02:03 PM
My pick for sports story of the year, is our Little Leaguers beating the top rated Japanese team in the finals, with a dramatic grand slam!!
The entertainment story of the year has to be Paul Potts (no relation to Pol Pot) !!
I think the look of amazement on the panel's faces, and the audience reaction...Hollywood couldn't have scripted it better.
His first appearance:
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA&mode=related&search=)

The Semis:
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDB9zwlXrB8&mode=related&search=)

The finals:
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkVnyfdGYQ&mode=related&search=)

wolfdancer
09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Ended up with a recording contract, and a tour...
web page (http://sonybmg.co.uk/artists/paul_potts/)

Gayle in MD
09-27-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm glad you're still here!

Love,
gayle

DickLeonard
09-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Gayle Wolfdancer is not in the Bathroom rehearsing for the next America Got TAlent? Paul is amazing.####

Gayle in MD
09-27-2007, 06:48 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sack316
09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
As far as Sports stories, don't forget to throw Rick Ankiel into that mix. The heart and determination it must have taken him to make it back to the majors as a position player is something rarely seen.

Sack

eg8r
09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as Sports stories, don't forget to throw Rick Ankiel into that mix. The heart and determination it must have taken him to make it back to the majors as a position player is something rarely seen.<hr /></blockquote> Isn't he caught up in the lastest steriod news item? They have not deemed to what extent his involvement is but his name surfaced in plenty of their records as receiving drugs from the company that was raided in Florida. I am not calling him guilty, just saying his name is being mixed with a not-so-desirable crowd.

eg8r

sack316
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
As far as Sports stories, don't forget to throw Rick Ankiel into that mix. The heart and determination it must have taken him to make it back to the majors as a position player is something rarely seen.<hr /></blockquote> Isn't he caught up in the lastest steriod news item? They have not deemed to what extent his involvement is but his name surfaced in plenty of their records as receiving drugs from the company that was raided in Florida. I am not calling him guilty, just saying his name is being mixed with a not-so-desirable crowd.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

hmm, I actually had not heard that. But I looked it up and indeed it does appear he is linked in one of the HGH investigations. So I guess for now we'll file that into the "nice story" pile with an * attatched (if he is guilty).

So guess we're back to the LLWS team, and I'll now throw in the Appalachian State upset victory pending further review of Ankiel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

Vapros
09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
A man was in the habit of driving into Mexico for the bullfights, and going to the cantina afterward for his favorite dish, called the 'Corrida Especial'. It featured a couple of big meat balls and some refried beans and tamales and other Mexican staples. One day he was disappointed with his lunch and complained to the manager that the meatballs were much smaller than usual. "But senor," explained Constancio, "sometimes the bull wins."

eg8r
09-28-2007, 08:11 AM
LOL, I agree with 100%. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
09-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Here's a good story about the underdogs winning. My grand-daughter's soccer team played the team in the country that wins much of the time, only they cheat! Everybody knows they cheat, and every year they get worse about it.

Yesterday, her coach talked to them about how might makes right, and that if they played their very best, they could beat the cheating team.

They did! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact, their play was outstanding. Played the very best they ever have. What a trip, seeing those little absolutely determined faces go beyond their former performance, and take it to the top!

It was great! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Love,
Gayle

wolfdancer
09-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Sounds like an exciting match, that was fun to watch...especially since they beat them young Republicans...

Vapros
09-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Has anyone noticed that Gayle's opponents always cheat? Sort of like Joe Bftlsp. Travels under a dark cloud - nothing but endless hard luck. Maybe she will get a break next fall, and the non-cheaters will win. Gimme a D, gimme an E, gimme an M!

Gayle in MD
10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was great! My grand daughter kicked the ball right over their heads, straight into the goal. She looked over at us and winked, with her thumbs up.

The last time her team played the cheaters, they injured three little girls. Tripping and shin kicks are frequently their tactics. They are the only team in the county known for cheating. When the word got out, the parents from the other county teams were calling with congrats. It was funny hearing all the cell phones going off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love,
Gayle