PDA

View Full Version : OT: When do Pool forums "jump the shark"?

Eric.
09-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I made this post on another forum and would love to hear peoples opinions:

You've heard the term. It's used for TV shows. Usually, there is one event that causes a TV series to turn off it's viewers; the turning point of a show.

Pool forums go thru waves of popularity too. When do you think a Pool forum jumps the shark? Any particular examples?

Eric >deep thoughts for today

Wally_in_Cincy
09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
When Ted McGinley shows up as the new neighbor.

Eric.
09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> When Ted McGinley shows up as the new neighbor. <hr /></blockquote>

Wasn't he Richie's cousin?

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
09-27-2007, 11:57 AM
darcy's husband on married w/ children

Fran Crimi
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I made this post on another forum and would love to hear peoples opinions:

You've heard the term. It's used for TV shows. Usually, there is one event that causes a TV series to turn off it's viewers; the turning point of a show.

Pool forums go thru waves of popularity too. When do you think a Pool forum jumps the shark? Any particular examples?

Eric &gt;deep thoughts for today <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I've never heard the term, but it makes sense. People love fighting, controversy and troublemakers. That stuff is real amusement to them. When things are peaceful, the activity dies down.

Says a lot about the state of humans these days, doesn't it?

Fran

sack316
09-27-2007, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> darcy's husband on married w/ children <hr /></blockquote>

Ah, wonderful to see a married w/ children reference! I'm assuming you mean when Marcy and Steve Rhoades got divorced and she wound up married to the non-working but good looking Jefferson D'arcy.

Wait a minute, has this become about me? The good looking non-working member of this forum? Oh well, at least the term "Shark" applies well to this particular message board /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

Wally_in_Cincy
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
Actually, I've never heard the term, but it makes sense. People love fighting, controversy and troublemakers. That stuff is real amusement to them. When things are peaceful, the activity dies down.

Says a lot about the state of humans these days, doesn't it?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Fran.

IIRC The term comes from the waning years of Happy Days when Fonzie jumped his mtorcycle over a swimming pool full of sharks ala Evil Knievel.

Usually when a baby shows up (Mad About You)or a couple gets married (Sam and Diane, Dave and Maddie) it a good indication it's getting ready to jump the shark.

But when Ted McGinley comes to town it is a dead lock to jump the shark.

www.jumptheshark.com (http://www.jumptheshark.com)

Wally_in_Cincy
09-27-2007, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> When Ted McGinley shows up as the new neighbor. <hr /></blockquote>

Wasn't he Richie's cousin?

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

You mean Opie Cunningham? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He may have been.

1Time
09-27-2007, 11:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

A board having technical difficulties like the slow response time is sure to reduce member participation.

Eric.
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I was hoping for more responses, but it is , what it is...

I was thinking about this forum in particular whne I made this post. This used to be my favorite forum and I've been coming here since 2000 or 2001. It used to be a lively, vibrant board with plenty of posters.

Somewhere, around 2005 would be my estimate of when this board "jumped the shark". Posters left (I'm guilty of that too), the quality of threads declined (IMO) and things went downhill fast.

Why is that? What happened during that time?

Eric

1Time
10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>Somewhere, around 2005 would be my estimate of when this board "jumped the shark". Posters left (I'm guilty of that too), the quality of threads declined (IMO) and things went downhill fast.

Why is that? What happened during that time?<hr /></blockquote>

I'm guessing the moderator should be blamed. IMO, way too much non-pool related crap is allowed to be posted in the "Cue Chalk Board". And, it's been my experience on other boards that a lot of folks are put off by all the extracurricular posting, while a minority better tolerate or even thrive on it. I don't have enough experience on this board to say this is the case for sure, but that's my guess.