PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first table

steve617
09-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I know most recommend a high quality US made table but fo my budget I just could not afford one at this time. I have been watching the classifieds locally every day. The table I bought was a Camelot http://www.sunenterprises.com/pooltablecamelot.htm Its been in the guys house and have not been played that much at all. Its about 5years old but looks brand new. It has been well taken care of, We transported it in a enclossed trailer after removing the legs. With a level it looks nearly dead on. It seemed to play well. He said he paid $2,200 for it I bought it for $450. I think it will be a good learner for my daughter who really wants to do well.

okinawa77
09-30-2007, 01:25 PM
8 foot or 9 foot table?
$450 is a real good price for 8 ft, and great for 9ft.

You are spoiling her. My dad only gave me food, clothing, and shelter. I would have loved a pool table when I was growing up.

I eventually realized that as much money as I was spending playing pool at the pool halls, I could have bought several pool tables. I still go to pool halls, but only to find competition...to test my skills and improve my game.

steve617
09-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes I am spoiling her however that is a great excuse for me to be able to play again. It is a 8 ft table. When she starts lessons she will be able to practice what she gets taught. I just hope she stays in love with playing. Only time will tell.

mantis
09-30-2007, 03:11 PM
A carpenters level will not acurately show you if the table is level. Unless you have a mechanics level, you should roll a stripe ball down the each side, as well as the top and bottom and see if it rolls straight.

Congrats on the new table!

1Time
09-30-2007, 04:22 PM
$450 is a great price for a nice 8' table. I grew up playing on a cheap 8' Brunswick table, but it also was used for playing ping pong with plywood on top of it. I actually learned to play better ping pong than pool back then due to my dad's ping pong skills. And, it wasn't until I later ventured out to compete with better players that my pool game and interest began to take off. And so after instruction from the pro concludes or your daughter feels confident enough, I recommend not delaying her exposure to playing other tables and outside competition.

steve617
09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
The local pro/instructor owns the local pool hall. She also is ranked in the WPBA. She gave us a good rate if we did it on a continous bassis. It will depend on my daughter. She even spoke to her about competing. All of that of course will be in time. Of course I will encouge her.

New2Pool
10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Chris at Mueller's (http://www.mueller-sporting-goods.com/) showed me a neat way to test the table.

1.) Place three balls against the rail at one corner of the table.
2.) Roll a ball into the end ball nearest the rail the balls are not on so that the ball on the other end will gently roll the length of the table.
3.) If the ball hits the side pocket or does not roll into the corner pocket the table is not level.
4.) You can test each rail that way to make sure the table is true.

The reason for 3 balls instead of rolling a single ball is to make sure you cancel out any spin.