PDA

View Full Version : What keeps PLAYERS OUT of Pool halls?

Tom_In_Cincy
09-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Smoking?
Sure, for those that don't smoke and don't like to be around smokers or the smell or the 2nd hand smoke threat...
But, wouldn't that also keep the same people out of a lot of other 'public' places that 'smokers' gather? Bars, resturants and bowling allys? why pick on just pool halls?

What about bad equipment?
IMO that would keep pool players (non-smokers and smokers) away also.
What about bad management?
Same as bad equipment?

What about bad service? or un-clean restrooms?
Leagues? no-leagues? tournaments? no-tournaments?

What if it is non-alcohol? don't you think that would influence some players from going into that place?

Any establishment that is 'open to the public' has to deal with the Highs and LOWs of the general public. If there is an abundance of Kids in a pool room (smokers or NOT) that will influence when the 'adults' will want to play.

How many of you go to a room on Friday or Saturday night when you know the majority of the customers will be 'bangers and dates or groups of the same'?

Smoking is just one of the reasons that can be blamed on a pool hall's closing. But this reason is dictated by local and state laws. The remainder of the obvious reasons can be controlled by the owner. Right?

I consider myself very lucky. The pool hall I frequent is non-smoking and has been for more than 5 years. It has all the 'right' ingredients for success. Great location, lots of parking, plenty of tables, good food, great owners and good service. It also has a separate tournament room with 8 GCIVs and very tight pockets. Spectator seating for close to 100 (stadium seating style)

wolfdancer
09-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Tom, that's still the best room For watching a tournament, that I've ever been in.
In the early 90's it was the Sacramento are that kept tournament pool alive for N. Cal....The Great Entertainer (before it became Hard Times),and the Jointed Cue

1Time
09-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Smoking has never kept me away from playing pool.

I avoid the pool halls from 8pm to midnight on Saturdays because of the bangers/daters taking up all the tables.

The only other thing that has made me avoid playing pool is when I sense a lack of security. Like when it seems a fight may break out, or the wrong element is around and the house doesn't seem to have an adequate handle on the situation.

pooltchr
09-29-2007, 08:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> The only other thing that has made me avoid playing pool is when I sense a lack of security. Like when it seems a fight may break out, or the wrong element is around and the house doesn't seem to have an adequate handle on the situation. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. I can handle the dating crowd, the bangers, even the crappy music on the juke box, but I like to know I can cross the parking lot without having to dodge drug dealers and bullets.
Steve

Snapshot9
09-30-2007, 10:28 AM
1) Small non-paying tournaments taking up all the tables.
2) No Challenge table.
3) Bangers taking up most tables.
4) NO MONEY ACTION.
5) Rooms catering to Texas Holdem all over the place.
6) BAD BAD (is there any other kind) Karoake.
7) Tables in poor condition.
8) No food offered.

HarryDC
09-30-2007, 11:44 AM
My List!

Smoke filled rooms with no ventilation.

Shimmed down crooked pockets on the tables like Hard Times.

Riff raff pool hustlers and their thug friends who try to extort money out of the paying customers.

Ripe off so called open pool tournaments that cheat regular customers out of a fair chance to win a few bucks when some sleazy pro enters the tournament.

No privacy for practice because a bunch of old balding retired tramps who hang around the room 24 Ė 7 and are watching and smelling up your table area.

Criminal elements hanging around selling drugs, or watching for a sucker to mug, or getting drunk and committing murders, like Motherís in Charlotte NC.

My remedy for the situation was being willed my own pool table here at home and joining a private menís club, which has rules like smoking only in designated areas and no alcohol after midnight. Part of my pool equipment used to be Smith &amp; Wesson and now I no longer need it.

There are a lot of nice people associated with pool and I have no idea why the vast majority put up with the riff raff? I heard that the police closed Motherís in Charlotte because of the murders there, which was a step in the right direction.

mantis
09-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Smoke would be the biggest one for me. I have a home table, so I don't have to go anywhere to play. Icetainly won't go to a smoke filled place to play others.

The original post said that smoke shouldn't only affect pool halls. I don;t think it does. Many staty away from bars and bowling alleys, as well as comedy clubs because of the excessive amount of smoke.

ras314
09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
No. 1 Bad equipment

No. 2 Bad equipment

No. 3 Loud video games

No. 4 Loud juke box

No. 5 Smoking with big crowds and poor ventilation

In that order.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2007, 05:35 PM
How about pool hall operators/owners with a disagreeable attitude?

Fran Crimi
09-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Tom, I don't think this directly answers your question, but it's a gripe of mine.

Whenever there are problems, I find that it all comes down to bad management. It takes HARD WORK to make a place successful and so many people, owners and managers alike, want to just show up, do as little as possible, collect their money and go home.

Owners and managers have to keep on top of everything going on in the room, from ripped cloths to loose pockets to unclean restrooms, to lowlife regulars trying to hustle customers.

If you're going to hire a deskperson who refuses to be pleasant to a customer, then you're going to lose customers. The first person a customer sees when they walk into the place should be pleasant and happy to see them. How many people do you see behind counters who you wish you could take a punch at ---- forget about them being pleasant!

Maybe the customer isn't always right, but I really wish managers and owners would take a little time to listen to the customers' gripes. Maybe they could learn something once in awhile.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks... it is a great tournament area for spectator and players. BTW it was called the 'Great American' before Hard Times purchased it in 1998.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Tom, that's still the best room For watching a tournament, that I've ever been in.
In the early 90's it was the Sacramento are that kept tournament pool alive for N. Cal....The Great Entertainer (before it became Hard Times),and the Jointed Cue <hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Fran,
I totally agree about BAD management, it could have everything GREAT about the pool room and then the bad Management could KILL business.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Wally,
A$$hole power tripping owners can kill their business just as much as any negative part of their pool room.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> How about pool hall operators/owners with a disagreeable attitude? <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Most pool rooms have little or no knowledge of customer service and are not interested in learning. Most of us can spot a place that won't make it in a few minutes. I wish there was a grading scale by players on this forum to let others know of good and poor rooms around the country.

wolfdancer
10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Entertainer didn't sound right when I wrote it....got the name mixed up with the one, now closed in SF, and another down the Peninsula....a senior moment. Two brothers, that were midgets, owned it back then. Nice room,clean, well lit,good equipment, good food, and reasonable prices at the bar. It was the way a pool hall should be run, and I guess it still sets the standard..

Tom_In_Cincy
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>I wish there was a grading scale by players on this forum to let others know of good and poor rooms around the country. <hr /></blockquote>

Very good idea Dee,
on a scale of 1-5 with one being the worst..

short list I cam up with from the threads replies.

Rating a pool hall;
A. Equipment.......1, 2, 3, 4, 5
B. Enviornment playing area,(space around tables, seating, lighting [lights above tabe or ceiling lights?]) 1---5
C. Management 1, 2, 3,4, 5
D. Food available. 1,2,3,4,5
E. Cleanlieness 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
F. Service level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
G. Tournaments 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
H.

add your area that you think is an important measure of a pool room's requirement to be a Top Level establishment.

SKennedy
10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
How about music...type and volume...

Deeman3
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

Very good idea Dee,
on a scale of 1-5 with one being the worst..

short list I cam up with from the threads replies.

Rating a pool hall;
A. Equipment.......1, 2, 3, 4, 5
B. Enviornment playing area,(space around tables, seating, lighting [lights above tabe or ceiling lights?]) 1---5
C. Management 1, 2, 3,4, 5
D. Food available. 1,2,3,4,5
E. Cleanlieness 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
F. Service level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
G. Tournaments 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
H. <font color="blue"> Music (Appropriateness and volume level)
I. Feeling of belonging established by staff attitude
J. Encouragement for young new players, knowledgable and likeable staff player/teacher
K. Availability of service for cues
L. Reduced cost for off hours and young players
M. Good weekly league environment
N. Table cleaning and repair schedule
O. Good chalk
P. </font color>

add your area that you think is an important measure of a pool room's requirement to be a Top Level establishment. <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
How about them lecherous older players trying to lure a young stud (in pool years) like me into a game, to steal my hard earned welfare check?

wolfdancer
10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
how about just rap music...period?
I can handle everything else from Opera, to Jazz, to Disco...

SKennedy
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Feeling of belonging is staff related, but other clientele also influence this feeling. I have folks tell me how much they enjoy playing against me because of my attitude, etc. I don't think it is so much me as it is some of the other players are just butt-holes.

bignick31985
10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
A bad crowd will keep me out. The only pool hall I go to is pretty much impossible to enjoy on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. All the tables fill up, its LOUD, people are rude and drunk. So I go Sundays, or Tuesdays, or Wednesdays, right when it opens up.

Nowhere else has good 9ft tables!!!

dave666
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
the reason players don't go to pool rooms much is they don't know when the room is more playable for them. owners love to watch or even be in action if the time is right. but players have to understand that they will get treated alot better if they go to a pool room when it is not crowded. owners have to do what's right for their room. i know i would love to see players during the day so i can open the bar tables for them so they can play by the hr. but if they come down while i'm busy i am not going to stop a group of people spending alot of $$$ just so 2 players can try to make themselves $$$. so it comes down to is it a good time to play or not.

Deeman3
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Feeling of belonging is staff related, but other clientele also influence this feeling. I have folks tell me how much they enjoy playing against me because of my attitude, etc. I don't think it is so much me as it is some of the other players are just butt-holes. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> You know, just maybe it's me. People have the exact opposite opinion when playing me. Perhaps the firearms put them off. It could not be the surley win at all costs attitude, could it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Fran Crimi
10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Feeling of belonging is staff related, but other clientele also influence this feeling. I have folks tell me how much they enjoy playing against me because of my attitude, etc. I don't think it is so much me as it is some of the other players are just butt-holes. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> You know, just maybe it's me. People have the exact opposite opinion when playing me. Perhaps the firearms put them off. <font color="red"> Ha! Ya think? </font color>
It could not be the surley win at all costs attitude, could it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

SKennedy
10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Firearms? Surly? Heck, I thought those come standard on all models!
I can play with anybody....(i don't mean that from a skill perspective). If Pettypoint folks allow me to go, I hope I have the opportunity to play you. I'll concede that you are a much better player...i just need to know how much it's going to cost me to have the priviledge?

ripper144
11-06-2007, 02:21 AM
Pool halls suck, I prefer to play alone w/ plenty of lighting and in a nice controlled environment. I prefer complete silence and no interruptions whatsoever. Right now I do not have a pool room and I had to buy a cheap table to put outside covered w/ a tarp. The real problem w/ an outside table is the morning dew and the eventual complete damage of the table. I still prefer to play at home, but I love a good quality pool table so I cant help but choose the pool hall over my outdoor table. The problem w/ a pool hall or bar is the better you get as a player, the more of a "gay bar" the place becomes. Thats just the facts of life..... "no offense", but im not into the club and all the unexpected surprises, nor was I ever into picking up any men to play games with. However, It may sound contradicting but I wouldnt mind picking up a REAL MAN to be my own private Cue man.

DickLeonard
11-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Deeman if it doesn't have Heavy Metal Music on I am out of there.####

Eric.
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
IMO, it's really a combination of a lot of little things ie quality of equipment, type of crowd the room caters to, weekly tournies and whether there is a bar or not.

Unfortunately, there isn't one thing that will bring em in, but there can be one glaring thing that drives em away, like crappy equipment.

Eric &gt;whaddo I know

shojingod
11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Cigarette smoke was the worst. It almost killed the industry I find.

Here is my ideal pool hall.

aspect number 1.
equipment - well maintained tables and cues ( 9ft tables )
aspect number 2.
ambiance - classic look with no music or light jazz
Pool and light jazz goes together like wine and cheese. No rap, dance, pop, metal, or anything else. It may be good music but it screws with the environment of the hall. The right type of music for the right type of environment. Watch the movie the Hustler if your pool hall does not sound close to that then you missing a big part of the boat.
aspect number 3
lower your freaken thermistat. Why do they have to run pool hall at 28C or 82 F. If I want the heat of the sun I go sun bathing. Keep the hall at 21 to 22C or 70F.

I don't ask for much. I want my pool playing to be a zen like experience and enjoy as such.

SKennedy
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
What keeps me out of Pool Halls?

The wife nagging me about not being home to do all her "honey doos." Plus yard work, etc.
I'm thinking about a divorce and moving into an apartment just so I can spend all my time in the pool hall.
Nahhhhh!! Guess I'll just keep her...probably miss the nagging.