PDA

View Full Version : Help... my nylon wrap is too slippery.

1Time
09-29-2007, 08:42 PM
My current cue has a nylon wrap and my grip hand feels like it will slip if I don't grip the cue tightly, which I don't want. I've always shot with cues without wraps to prevent this problem. However, I bought this cue since it was the best I could find locally at the time within my price range.

Any suggestions for resolving this besides buying another cue? Thanks

DeadCrab
09-30-2007, 06:10 AM
You could take it off and see what is underneath.

If you don't like the wood underneath, consider having a cuemaker put a leather wrap on it.

BLACKHEART
09-30-2007, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
You could take it off and see what is underneath.

If you don't like the wood underneath, consider having a cuemaker put a leather wrap on it. <hr /></blockquote>

Leather wraps generally run about $75. From his description of his Q, I would guess that $75 is more than he paid for the Q. If you take the nylon off, you will find that the handle area UNDER the wrap, has been undercut. I don't think you would like that look. A repairman would charge about $25- $30 to put a LINEN wrap on the inexpensive Q...JER

Fran Crimi
09-30-2007, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> My current cue has a nylon wrap and my grip hand feels like it will slip if I don't grip the cue tightly, which I don't want. I've always shot with cues without wraps to prevent this problem. However, I bought this cue since it was the best I could find locally at the time within my price range.

Any suggestions for resolving this besides buying another cue? Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

You could do what the 3C players do, which is buy a rubber wrap cover that fits right over the wrap on the cue. It enables the shooter to hold the cue loosely without it slipping away from them. I purchased mine at Carom Billiards &amp; Cafe in NY.

Fran

wolfdancer
09-30-2007, 02:38 PM
how about lightly sandpapering his hands? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I thought I remembered something that the cue repair guys used to do, to address that issue....but may have mixed that up with pressing the wrap?

1Time
09-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I should have specified this before. The nylon wrap feels slippery because my grip hand is dry, not sweaty.

From what I've read here I think Fran's suggestion of using a rubber slip on wrap has a shot of working well.

However, after researching this more online, I've now decided to first call a local pool shop tomorrow and see if an inexpensive clear coat could be applied over my nylon wrap.

Thanks everyone.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
1Time

I have felt this same difficulty with a linen wrap. I changed to a leather wrap and it feels much better.

but it's all personal preference

you really have to try different cues and go with what feels comfortable

Rich R.
09-30-2007, 08:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> However, after researching this more online, I've now decided to first call a local pool shop tomorrow and see if an inexpensive clear coat could be applied over my nylon wrap. <hr /></blockquote>
Before putting a clear coat over your wrap, ask yourself if you like cues with no wrap. The clear coat will feel very similar to a cue with no wrap at all. I don't care for that feel, but many do. It is just something to be considered.
The inexpensive solution would be to follow Fran's advise.

1Time
09-30-2007, 10:25 PM
I prefer and have always used no wrap or a clear coat like the one on my previous cue, a Meucci.

It just didn't occur to me until after getting some replies to this thread and researching it more online that I could look into adding a clear coat to my nylon wrap.

Thanks again all.

Snapshot9
10-02-2007, 06:35 AM
A temporary solution is to cut a piece of Saran Wrap big enough to fit the wrap with it wound around 2-3 times, and smooth it down. You will be able to grip it fine, and it is clear so the wrap color still shows through.

1Time
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> A temporary solution is to cut a piece of Saran Wrap big enough to fit the wrap with it wound around 2-3 times, and smooth it down. You will be able to grip it fine, and it is clear so the wrap color still shows through. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, Snapshot9. While I suspect I would not like using clear wrap even temporarily, your suggestion did help give me the idea this morning of wrapping my nylon wrap with masking tape and then wrapping the masking tape with black duct tape, which I suspect will suffice at least temporarily.

dave666
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
well, i had that problem once and a well seasoned guy who had that same problem told me to get a 3m pad a little wet and rotate the wrap in the pad. what this does is pull the smaller strands of nylon out and gives you a little fuzz. after you play with the cue a while the fuzz will press back down and you should be alright. it's almost like cleaning linen wraps. the best grip for someone with very dry hands or very wet hands seems to be cork. but this is pretty $$$ and if you have a stick with nylon you would be better off with the first suggestion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1Time
10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave666:</font><hr>get a 3m pad a little wet and rotate the wrap in the pad. what this does is pull the smaller strands of nylon out and gives you a little fuzz. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, but given I'm probably going to end up having a pro cover my nylon wrap with a clear coat, I don't want to mess with the look of the existing nylon wrap.

I did, however, consider applying some type of clear liquid solution to the nylon wrap to give its feel more tack (nail polish?), but without feeling sticky. I soon gave up on determining a proper solution and settled on the masking / duct tape idea. Still trying to get in touch with the local pro regarding the clear coat.

1Time
10-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I scrapped the idea of using masking tape and duct tape.

What I found that's easier to apply and comes off cleanly is mailing / packaging tape. I spiraled some on my nylon wrap and it feels great, even has a little better tack to it than the rest of my cue. Simple, cheap, and effective... I still want a clear coat though.