PDA

View Full Version : What brand of chalk?

steve617
10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I am sure this is personal preference. What chalk do you like the best? Pioneer came with my table I bought a couple of days ago but I have used Master before at my Pool Hall and I seem to like it better. Thanks

DeadCrab
10-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Platinum Billiards ran some comparison testing that is available at their site.

I use Silver Cup, because I got a couple of free boxes when I bought cloth. I can't tell the difference between it and Masters, but apparently some people can.

Rich R.
10-02-2007, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> I am sure this is personal preference. What chalk do you like the best? Pioneer came with my table I bought a couple of days ago but I have used Master before at my Pool Hall and I seem to like it better. Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
This has been discussed on this forum several times. You may be able to search and find the discussions.

You will find that most, not all, long time players prefer Masters Chalk and they also prefer it in the color blue.

okinawa77
10-02-2007, 01:42 PM
I prefer Master Chalk, dark brown. The color matches the natural color of the tip, and brown chalk dust is closer to the natural color of the shaft. Light Brown is also a good color.

I have Silver Cup chalk as well, but it seems to dust more than Master.

bignick31985
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I use Masters. I keep a box of 12 in the truck just in case the place I'm playing is 'out' or something.

I've used cheaper chalks and they just dont hold well.

SKennedy
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Masters. While many prefer blue, I prefer the lighter color (I'm color-blind)..tan? I know it is not the dark gray anyway.

billiards89
10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
masters is the best i dont really care what color as long as its masters

1Time
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I use whatever chalk is provided, and it's usually blue. However, it makes more sense to me for chalk to be the same color as the table's cloth/felt, so when it gets on the table it blends in better.

ripper144
11-06-2007, 01:57 AM
I have 2 boxes of Red Silver Cup and Red Masters and I feel its always best to use a color contrasting the color of the felt. The reason is that you can see large chuncks of chalk when they fall on the table. The red chalk is always the best for this purpose, of course unless you play on red felt. Pro tournaments use the same color chalk as the felt only and I feel this is a big mistake and could cause a problem for the best players and that would be unfair since it is simple to correct. I play w/ red chalk but when I finish all of them im going to use Green Silver Cup chalk, I have found this paticular color to be the very very best chalk in the world. I dont know why the color would make a difference, but the green is a better chalk to me. I have also had enough of being caught RED HANDED!

Deeman3
11-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Contrasting chalk leaves your table discolored after a while.

Most of us can see large chunks of chalk that collect on the table.

Pro tournaments do not, as a rule, use the same colored chalk as the cloth. Most use green cloth and blue chalk but the color difference is not enough to show as a stain.

Ralph_Kramden
11-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Did you ever get the feeling... that the room was full of green tables, and you were the only cube of red chalk? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif