PDA

View Full Version : Cue case question/need advice

mrgoochio
10-02-2007, 05:22 AM
Alright so I'm in the market to buy a cue case. I have never really seen a cue case up close (touched it and looked inside/around it) so I'm uncertain of some things. First off, I have only 1 cue at the moment. I plan on ordering a seperate break stick and a jump stick in the near future and would like to get a case at the same time. My question is this, where are you supposed to put the back piece of the jump stick? Do you put it in the normal butt hole (yes, i said butt hole) or in the pouch on the front? I'm unsure on how it fits in the regular hole since its shorter than a regular cue's back end. If I were to have these 3 cues in my case, would I need a 3b with x amount of shaft slots case or should I get a 2b case with x amount of shaft slots and put the jump cue's back end in the front long pouch? I have been looking at some name brand cases and instroke looks pretty nice, but there are some cue brands that have much cheaper hard vinyl cases (instead of leather).. recommendations guys?

Snapshot9
10-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Since you are just stepping up for the first time, I would not recommend spending a whole lot of money on a case yet. There are many reasonably priced cases that are nice.

go to: Billiard Warehouse Elite Cases (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cases/action/action_elite_cases.htm)

and look at the:
ELCP24 (Just bought this for my brother in Burgundy, and he is real happy with it. Has separate jump butt pocket, 2 handles, cell phone pocket. Click on picture for all details.

ELNR24
ELNR35 - I have this style case, click on each picture to get details of the case. Spring loaded butts, shafts on other side, separate jump butt pocket. I have the 3 x 5.

All of these are reasonable, and have features that make them attractive. They are not heavy either.

sygfrid
10-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Most people prefer a 2x4 case, some with a jump cue compartment like that of INSTROKE cases. If the case doesn't have a jump cue compartment, you may use the large pouch on the case. A 2x4 is very practical as you can bring everything you need in a match (play cue+ 2 shafts, break cue +shaft, & jump cue+shaft)

I believe the CASE is a very important investment as it PROTECTS your cue from being warped, hit, etc.

mrgoochio
10-10-2007, 01:51 AM
i've been eyeballing the instroke buffalo series 2x4, pred bk2 and pred air.. anyone see any reason why not to get these aside from the price? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

by the way, does anyone know a site that actually has the pred air in stock?

Cydpkt
10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I have a couple of friends with these cases. Only one of them complains of the weight of the case. The others said that they don't mind the weight. I like how you can have the cue put together and the case will stand on its own. If you are willing to drop some cash for a nice cue why would you spend a fraction of the cues price on a case. It would be like buying a $1000.00 rifle and putting a $30.00 scope on it.

Snapshot9
10-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Predator Air at Pooldawg:

Predator Air Jump Cue (http://www.pooldawg.com/category/2/jump-break-and-jump-break-cues)

Snapshot9
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, one reason might be because you didn't want people to know you had a $1,000 or higher cue in the case, especially in a foreign Pool room. Cues get stolen a lot if someone sport good equipment up front.

As far as protection, your cue should always be in a controlled environment. Mine is in my house, the inside of my car, the Pool room and back. The protection card is played up too much with cases. If you take care with your equipment, there is never a problem. The only problem I see is if you are stuck in the rain for a long time with your case with you.

He can get any case he wants, I don't care, I didn't realize he wanted to step up that much to begin with. The Buffalo model has stiff pockets, and clasp problems though. Some case look good until you have to use them all the time. Convenience of use is a biggy thing for me though. He might
want to check out Justis or Murnak cases though, and get it made how he wants. Ron Thomas cases might be an option too.

mrgoochio
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Predator Air at Pooldawg:

Predator Air Jump Cue (http://www.pooldawg.com/category/2/jump-break-and-jump-break-cues) <hr /></blockquote>
im pretty sure that pooldawg says theyre out of stock on the page unless they updated in the last few days. although they might have, it doesn't seem like they are offering free 1x1pooldawg bags with their purchases either

sygfrid
10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I had Instroke leather cowboy before and I'm using an Instroke-Predator case now. I still prefer the Cowboy over the Predator since the former acclimates more slowly than the latter (I've been monitoring my cues in the cases with a digital hygrometer). I think zippered lid of the Predator is the culprit behind this fast acclimatization. The Cowboy can also accommodate longer cues easily (the Predator's cover is putting some pressure on my 31") Moreover, the cowboy has a sleeker look especially with the pockets. As for the latches, I'd never had problems with them.

I like the leather works of Justis. However, I feel that it lacks protection. For one, I feel that its PROLITE interior doesn't prevent the butts &amp; shafts from rattling inside. I prefer snug fits on my cues to prevent lateral forces which can lead to warpage. If I am to get a custom cue case, I'd get it from JOHN BARTON, the original maker of Instroke http://www.jbcases.com/. Not only is cue protection his primary concern, he's also applying different techniques used by a lot of high-end custom case makers like Justis, Murnak, etc

There's another jump cue I've just seen today: Dr. Popper Jump Cue. You may want to check it out at Mcdermott's website http://www.mcdermottcue.com/DRPOP_a.asp.

If there's a jump cue out there that can jump less than a ball a way, it'll surely be worth buying. If not, any high quality jump cue will be fine

Any reason not buy a Predator? I think they're overrated and over priced. Sorry, but I don't get the idea behind putting a carbon fiber laminate plate when you can use the single phenolic ferrule-tip to do the job. Adding another layer will dampen or distort the energy transfer (the glue between layers also act as dampeners) /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mrgoochio
10-10-2007, 04:53 PM
i was kindof going for the pred air because i was thinking the bk2 would be a great break stick and was going to just match it up. was thinking i might step up to a pred cue for playing in the future when i really get some cash together. currently im shooting with a buffalo cue, not offered in the united states as far as i can tell. it would range in about the $180 range.. its popular in asia/europe from what i know. not sure about mcdermott break cues..

edit: oh yeah, the dr popper cue is kindof weird in my opinion.. i was looking for more of a regular jump cue but that jump cue sure looks impressive

Snapshot9
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Well, the X-Jumper was the best one I ever tried to shoot with, out of 8-10, that I have tried. I was an intermediary for a friend of mine to get one before Richard shut down the business.

Quite Frankly, I don't think you will find more bang for the buck, than with a J&amp;J Break/Jump cue with a phenolic ferrule/tip combo on it. I have bought 2, one for me and one for my brother. I have 2 shafts for mine. It breaks and jumps good, and you can get one for about $65 from Chrisonline on AZbilliards.com forum. I don't know about the BK2, but the J&amp;J breaks better than the original BK.

Are you in Europe? If so, you will have high shipping costs to consider. I have an adopted Pool son sort of in Belgium,
called Solly.

mrgoochio
10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Nah Im in Los Angeles, but I bought my current buffalo shooting cue when I was working in china.

Cornerman
10-12-2007, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mrgoochio:</font><hr> Alright so I'm in the market to buy a cue case. I have never really seen a cue case up close (touched it and looked inside/around it) so I'm uncertain of some things. First off, I have only 1 cue at the moment. I plan on ordering a seperate break stick and a jump stick in the near future and would like to get a case at the same time. My question is this, where are you supposed to put the back piece of the jump stick? Do you put it in the normal butt hole (yes, i said butt hole) or in the pouch on the front? I'm unsure on how it fits in the regular hole since its shorter than a regular cue's back end. If I were to have these 3 cues in my case, would I need a 3b with x amount of shaft slots case or should I get a 2b case with x amount of shaft slots and put the jump cue's back end in the front long pouch? I have been looking at some name brand cases and instroke looks pretty nice, but there are some cue brands that have much cheaper hard vinyl cases (instead of leather).. recommendations guys? <hr /></blockquote>I think you want a 2/4 Leather case from Instroke or from Omega. The Omega Billiard cases are from Michael Hoang, who is a hell of a nice guy. According to Michael, the cases are designed by the same guy who did the design work in Instroke Germany.

These cases (Instroke and Omega) have the side pocket sewn in specifically for a jump cue handle.

Please... don't buy the vinyl version of Instroke. There's a flaw in the handle design that often meets an unfortunate end.

Fred

bignick31985
10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I dont knwo everyone feels about them, but I like the suitcase style cases. Especially the 2B/2S Schmelke case with the extra storage area.

I have a break/jump and playing cue, so I dont need any more space.

mrgoochio
11-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Can anyone comment on the type of leather instroke uses in their buffalo series cases? Is it actually buffalo hide leather or is it the same cow hide leather they use in their cowboy line of cases?

the actual design of the buffalo and cowboy bags seem exactly the same with the exact same specs. the only difference i can tell by looking at pictures is possibly the type of leather. i may end up just getting the cowboy line because its cheaper than the buffalo seeing as how it appears to be the EXACT same thing in a different color (black or brown, buffalo comes in a different type of brown..)

i have seen some great looking buffalo bag pictures (such as the pictures from seyberts) and some terrible looking buffalo bags (such as the pictures from neilsens off ebay) which i am also concerned about. i dont want to pay more for the buffalo bag and end up with a raggity looking bag! &gt;:P

Snapshot9
11-21-2007, 11:08 AM
The best thing I think you could do is to email about 5 good Pool websites that carry what you want. List all the things you want to buy, Predator Cue, jump cue, case, etc..

And let them make you a package deal on everything. You would have to have an idea of Predator cue you want though. If I were you, I would also consider Schon cues too, with a Predator shaft if that is what you want.

The differences on the types of Instroke cases is what type of finish is on the leather, brushed, saddle, smooth, etc..

Platinum billiards is a good place, and would probably have all the products you desire. (They also have lots of Schon cues). Budget cues is a good place to check for prices.
Pooldawg is good.

You could probably save money on a package deal and get free shipping on everything.