PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest question of the day...

New2Pool
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
OK, I just noticed something that seems odd to me so I want to ask those of you who know the correct form if my observation is correct. When the cue stick strikes the cue ball the shooting arm should be approximately parellel to the floor for the upper arm and perpendicular for the lower arm. Thus forming a 90% angle at the elbow?

Assuming that my understanding of proper form is correct, does anyone else find it ironic that the animated gif ad for "Cue U" at the top of the page shows the cue stick striking the ball with the lower arm at about a 135% angle? It just seems odd that the ad would be demonstrating the wrong stick figure form.

1Time
10-02-2007, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> OK, I just noticed something that seems odd to me so I want to ask those of you who know the correct form if my observation is correct. When the cue stick strikes the cue ball the shooting arm should be approximately parellel to the floor for the upper arm and perpendicular for the lower arm. Thus forming a 90% angle at the elbow?

Assuming that my understanding of proper form is correct, does anyone else find it ironic that the animated gif ad for "Cue U" at the top of the page shows the cue stick striking the ball with the lower arm at about a 135% angle? It just seems odd that the ad would be demonstrating the wrong stick figure form. <hr /></blockquote>

It's good to have the upper arm parallel to the floor and the lower arm somewhat vertical at address but slightly forward at contact. The animation does not show proper technique, but then it's not being used as a training tool. That animation is not even shooting a CB.

Deeman3
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
The figure you see is, of course, wearing a mortar board showing an advanced education, therefore allowing him to clink outside the box, so to speak. As well, I beleive, being a minority, he has a cultural right to a style all his own.

You have not been accused of nit picking at any time have you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

randyg
10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> OK, I just noticed something that seems odd to me so I want to ask those of you who know the correct form if my observation is correct. When the cue stick strikes the cue ball the shooting arm should be approximately parellel to the floor for the upper arm and perpendicular for the lower arm. Thus forming a 90% angle at the elbow?

Assuming that my understanding of proper form is correct, does anyone else find it ironic that the animated gif ad for "Cue U" at the top of the page shows the cue stick striking the ball with the lower arm at about a 135% angle? It just seems odd that the ad would be demonstrating the wrong stick figure form. <hr /></blockquote>

90 degrees at the grip not the elbow. Many players have to play with their elbow elevated.

Perfect would be your grip hand hanging straight down from your elbow when the tip touches the cue ball......SPF=randyg

dr_dave
10-02-2007, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> OK, I just noticed something that seems odd to me so I want to ask those of you who know the correct form if my observation is correct. When the cue stick strikes the cue ball the shooting arm should be approximately parellel to the floor for the upper arm and perpendicular for the lower arm. Thus forming a 90% angle at the elbow?

90 degrees at the grip not the elbow. Many players have to play with their elbow elevated.<hr /></blockquote>That's the best way to summarize it. This applies even when the cue is elevated (e.g., when the cue is over a ball or rail cushion, or with a jump shot).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr>Perfect would be your grip hand hanging straight down from your elbow when the tip touches the cue ball......SPF=randyg<hr /></blockquote>Just a small clarification: when the cue is elevated, the forearm won't be hanging straight down, but it should still be perpendicular to the cue at cue ball contact.

Regards,
Dave

SKennedy
10-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I think the animation is actually Dr. Dave!!
And as for it being a stupid question, I could easily top it. However, I won't for fear of ridicule.

dr_dave
10-02-2007, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr>I think the animation is actually Dr. Dave!!<hr /></blockquote>I do have one of those silly hats, but I don't wear it when I play pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, my forearm cannot change length, as it does in the animation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards,
Dave

New2Pool
10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks to all, and yes I have been accused of picking nits and of being a little on the obsessive-compulsive side. Although on my resume I phrase it as "pays attention to detail" and "follows through on projects with great thoroughness".

Cornerman
10-04-2007, 06:00 AM
<hr /></blockquote>I think that the vast majority of players do not have a parallel upper arm. The perpindicular lower arm is the orthodox method.

Fred

1Time
10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> OK, I just noticed something that seems odd to me so I want to ask those of you who know the correct form if my observation is correct. When the cue stick strikes the cue ball the shooting arm should be approximately parellel to the floor for the upper arm and perpendicular for the lower arm. Thus forming a 90% angle at the elbow?
<hr /></blockquote>I think that the vast majority of players do not have a parallel upper arm. The perpindicular lower arm is the orthodox method.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. The angle between my upper and lower arm is obtuse. Few, it seems, shoot with this angle being 90 degrees. Those with their chin closer to the cue will form an acute angle between their upper and lower arm.

The orthodox method is to have the lower arm perpendicular to the cue when addressing the ball or at impact. I prefer to say at address so at impact my forearm is just ever so slightly forward of perpendicular to the cue.

Cornerman
10-05-2007, 05:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> The orthodox method is to have the lower arm perpendicular to the cue when addressing the ball or at impact. I prefer to say at address so at impact my forearm is just ever so slightly forward of perpendicular to the cue. <hr /></blockquote>

I think the forearm is normally perpendicular to the floor at address.

Fred

dr_dave
10-05-2007, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> The orthodox method is to have the lower arm perpendicular to the cue when addressing the ball or at impact. I prefer to say at address so at impact my forearm is just ever so slightly forward of perpendicular to the cue.<hr /></blockquote>I think the forearm is normally perpendicular to the floor at address.<hr /></blockquote>Even if the cue is elevated?

Dave