PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

coolluke
10-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I have seen pros Strickland and Davis use gloves on their bridge hand during tournaments, but for the most part, pro and amatuer players don't wear them. Pro players would rather constantly polish their shafts or amateurs will use talc rather than endure the snickers they would get by wearing a glove. Will gloves ever be truly acceptable?

Deeman3
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
They are truely acceptable now. Many use them, John Schmidt comes to mind, but most of us do prefer the feel of the shaft. I have one for use in parts of Florida and Lousianna.

BigRigTom
10-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I wear a Scorpion Glove (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/scorpionglove.html) and I recommend that anyone who has sweaty hands should get a glove and learn to use it.
I say "learn" because it was not a natural for me. I like the feel of the shaft but my hands sweat...especially when it is warm under the lights or if the match is really tough and the adrenaline starts to pump.

The glove gives you the same feel hot or cold and it is clean as opposed to the talc. That talc also is really smooth and slippery at first then starts to get less so as you wear it into the shaft then you need to clean the shaft and wash your hands and start over again.

SKennedy
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Some of us are lucky and we have very dry hands. No gloves for me.....However, I won't harrass anyone with gloves especially those who beat me at the table.

1Time
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
When I was young and playing golf, I found the use of a glove nearly as helpful as wearing spiked golf shoes.

Oh, this is pool.

When I was young and dirty bar room house cues would not slide smoothly thorough my bridge hand, I modified my bride so most of the cue's weight would ride smoothly on the inside corner of my thumb nail. Been using some variation of this bridge adaptation for most shots ever since.

My young pool buddy shoots with a pool glove though. I think the only thing that should determine whether a pool glove is worn is whether it helps one play better pool.

wolfdancer
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Long before gloves became popular....I had a different problem when I played...after using the restroom and washing my hands, the shaft wouldn't slide, and I didn't want the talc/body oil sludge to begin forming....so I'd use a cocktail napkin inside my bridge hand for several shots, until the dryness went away...
Worked fine, and the only problem I had was playing in a tournament once, and the opposing player asked the ref to call a foul on me for doing that.....and would you believe, he was wearing a glove.
I told the ref I couldn't afford to buy a glove, but would be happy to accept donations. They let me keep playing and as I remember...beat the guy and offered him my napkin to wipe the tears away..... luckily he was much smaller then I

1Time
10-03-2007, 07:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> luckily he was much smaller then I <hr /></blockquote>

... and wasn't packing a loaded colt 45, a couple of switchblades, and a black belt.

I've always found victory sweeter when my opponent asked for a ruling, got it, and then lost anyway.

dg-in-centralpa
10-04-2007, 05:44 AM
My hands are sweaty and I've used a glove almost from the beginning. After chiding a black friend who had one and calling him Michael Jackson....

DG - can't shoot without one

SKennedy
10-04-2007, 08:13 AM
It's the sequined and purple gloves that are hard to handle.

Cornerman
10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote coolluke:</font><hr> I have seen pros Strickland and Davis use gloves on their bridge hand during tournaments, but for the most part, pro and amatuer players don't wear them. Pro players would rather constantly polish their shafts or amateurs will use talc rather than endure the snickers they would get by wearing a glove. Will gloves ever be truly acceptable? <hr /></blockquote>I think you have to first be aware that most pros, at tournaments and gambling use powder. I know it's nice to think that they don't, but man, they are the most prolific users of powder out there.

And anymore, many professionals are adopting a glove. Buddy, Earl, John Schmidt, etc., etc.

The only people that seem to snicker about gloves: amateurs. Think about it.

Fred

wolfdancer
10-04-2007, 12:56 PM
try putting talcum powder on the inside of your glove before you put it on.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif