PDA

View Full Version : What Stick weight should I buy?

steve617
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I really dont know that much about the different weights. In the past when learning I usually used a 21 oz cue. Last week I bought a table that came with 4 cues 19 to 21 oz. Anyway I would like to buy a better cue for myself. My table is a 8 ft table. For what its worth I am 6 ft tall and weigh around 250. I just dont know what a common weight for me I am guessing 19.5 to 20 oz. Thanks for info on cue stick weights.

Deeman3
10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Steve,

I am couple of inches taller than you and weigh a little less but I use a 19 oz. stick. It is all personal preference but you might consider the length as well. I use an inch over (59") and find it reaches more shots for me. I play on mostly 9 footers but I use the same length on smaller tables as well. By the way, if you like the sticks that come with the table and they are straight, you might consider using them until you have a chance to hit a few other cues before making the investment. JMO

You will, of course, need a couple of motor driven chalkers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bignick31985
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm bout 6'2" and 245 and I use a 19.25oz and it feels perfect for me. I was using a 20oz before that but now even use a 19oz for breaking. I've used a 21oz and that puppy was heavy.

SKennedy
10-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I pefer an 18 oz, and even a 17 oz is OK. However, I currently use one that is 19.5 oz and I do not feel comfortable with it even though I have been using it for about 3 years. I just always felt more control using a lighter stick.
My break stick is 18 oz.

1Time
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> I really dont know that much about the different weights. In the past when learning I usually used a 21 oz cue. Last week I bought a table that came with 4 cues 19 to 21 oz. Anyway I would like to buy a better cue for myself. My table is a 8 ft table. For what its worth I am 6 ft tall and weigh around 250. I just dont know what a common weight for me I am guessing 19.5 to 20 oz. Thanks for info on cue stick weights. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm guessing you'll find a 19.5 ounce a good choice, which happens to be the weight of my Viking G-06 cue (http://www.billiardtrader.com/cues/viking/viking_g06-coffee_pool_cue.htm).

billiards89
10-03-2007, 05:22 PM
im about 6'2 and 160 pounds i use a 19 oz to shoot i did use a 20 for a while but it seemed to heavy i break with a 18

Jal
10-03-2007, 07:07 PM
In terms of efficiency (ie, getting the most cueball speed with the least amount of force), a heavier arm matches up better with a heavier cue, and visa versa for a lighter arm. But there is no single weight that's going to be maximally efficient for all shots for a particular player. As you go from centerball to increasing tip offsets, lighter cues are more efficient. If one of your primary goals is to draw the ball across a room, lighter is better...up to a point.

Predicting what weight would be optimum, say, for centerball hits, is very difficult though, since that involves gathering some hard to measure characteristics of a player's arm. The above trends are just a rough guideline.

Jim

SKennedy
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Thank you Jal for good info.

dr_dave
10-04-2007, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> I really dont know that much about the different weights. In the past when learning I usually used a 21 oz cue. Last week I bought a table that came with 4 cues 19 to 21 oz. Anyway I would like to buy a better cue for myself. My table is a 8 ft table. For what its worth I am 6 ft tall and weigh around 250. I just dont know what a common weight for me I am guessing 19.5 to 20 oz. Thanks for info on cue stick weights.<hr /></blockquote>From a previous thread, see:

cue weight and break effectiveness (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=171855&amp;Foru m=ccb&amp;Words=dr_dave&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Li mit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=125575&amp;Search=true#Post17 1855)

FYI, this and a lot more information concerning cue selection can be found under "cue" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

bradb
10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> In terms of efficiency (ie, getting the most cueball speed with the least amount of force), a heavier arm matches up better with a heavier cue, and visa versa for a lighter arm. But there is no single weight that's going to be maximally efficient for all shots for a particular player. As you go from centerball to increasing tip offsets, lighter cues are more efficient. If one of your primary goals is to draw the ball across a room, lighter is better...up to a point.

Predicting what weight would be optimum, say, for centerball hits, is very difficult though, since that involves gathering some hard to measure characteristics of a player's arm. The above trends are just a rough guideline.

Jim [/quote

Jim, for myself (am a big person 6.3, 235,) I prefer an 18 oz." This is a matter more for touch for me. I like to pick my way around the table, so the lighter cue gives me a little more feel for the shot and the wieght I will need. So I agree with you on a lighter cue for control shots.

I find I pocket slightly better on long shots with the heavier cue (19). But I stick with the lighter cue except for breaks which I like my 20oz.

There seems to be no rule with the players I know, its all a matter of preference for cue weight, but most up here prefer 18 oz.
-Brad

Caromsoft
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
If possible try and find a cue with a weight bolt. You may initially decide that you like a cue at a certain weight, but if you decide to go lighter later the bolt can be replaced or cut down.

ripper144
11-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Use whatever weight you want, go to your local pool hall or billiard supplier and try them out. I personally use a 21 oz. because I like to have a little extra weight behind the ball If and when I ever want to use it.

av84fun
11-07-2007, 02:32 AM
One issue that makes the weight question a little tricky is the issue of balance! I use an 18.75 but have held cues I would swear are lighter but when weighed were actually a little heavier.

Most production cues use a "weight bolt" to achieve a given weight so, the heavier they are the more butt heavy they are.

That is why the heavier cues don't feel balanced...TO ME. Your results may vary.

I would go to your local billiard products dealer or pool hall if they have an extensive line of quality cues for sale and just stroke a BUNCH of them to see how they FEEL to you.

But as I said, because of the weight bolt issue, you may well find that around 19 oz. will work well for you and will not feel too butt heavy.

Finally, the position of your grip hand relative to the butt end of the cue makes a BIG difference. In order to achieve the critical EXACTLY VERTICAL orientation of my right forearm, the back of my right hand is about 1 1/2 inches from the end of the wrap (on most shots) and my cue feels very well balanced.

Whenever I need to move my grip hand more forward, I feel like I am PULLING weight...because I am! Conversely, if with your normal grip position, you feel like you are PUSHING weight, then the distribution of weight is too far forward.

You can buy a set of weight bolts (Google to find them) that are compatible with most cues so that you can try various weights on your own cue until you find what is best for you.

Regards,
Jim

Snyder1
11-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm with you ... have a few 19 ounce cues, but find I really like the 20 &amp; 21 ounce cues the more experienced I become.

John

BigRigTom
11-10-2007, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> I'm with you ... have a few 19 ounce cues, but find I really like the 20 &amp; 21 ounce cues the more experienced I become.

John <hr /></blockquote>
I am completely opposite!!!!
I play with a 19 oz. Viking and I use a 20 oz. Scorpion Break/Jump but I am thinking of going to an 18 oz on both.
I am still in the "I'm not sure!" mode right now but have been thinking about this for a while now.
I really like my Viking but it feels heavy to me and I am prone to hitting to hard. I have read various opinions the suggest a lighter cue may help to correct that tendancy of hitting too hard.

BLACKHEART
11-10-2007, 10:48 AM
When making a cue for someone, this subject comes up all of the time. How heavy a cue feels &amp; the actual weight may be quite different. My BLACK HEART cues have a balance point at 18-18 1/2 inches from the end of the butt cap. A Meucci, which has a lot of weight in the butt will have a balance point somewhere near 17 inches. If both of these cues weigh the same, the BLACK HEART will FEEL lighter, because there is not so much weight concentrated at your gripping hand. My own experience has lead me to believe that you should play with the heaviest cue you feel comfortable with. For some that would be an 18 oz. cue &amp; for others that may be a 20 oz. Just a small amount of movement with your gripping hand, will be magified by a lot at the tip end of the cue. It is my personal opinion that a lighter cue is more easily affected by small movements than a heavier one. Like having a ping pong ball &amp; a golf ball. A slight movement will move the lighter ball much more easily than the heavier one. A persons size has no bearing on what feels heavy. I personally play pool with a 20 oz. cue &amp; I am 5'- 8" tall &amp; weigh about 170 lbs. I have a player on my team who weighs 300 lbs &amp; plays with a 18 3/4 oz. cue...JER

pooltchr
11-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Having done extensive research, I have concluded that the perfect weight for pool cues is 19.47835671 oz. All other cues are worthless, and should be sent to me immediately for proper disposal.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

1Time
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>
I play with a 19 oz. Viking and I use a 20 oz. Scorpion Break/Jump but I am thinking of going to an 18 oz on both.
I am still in the "I'm not sure!" mode right now but have been thinking about this for a while now.
I really like my Viking but it feels heavy to me and I am prone to hitting to hard. I have read various opinions the suggest a lighter cue may help to correct that tendancy of hitting too hard. <hr /></blockquote>

I suggest taking changing the bolt so your Viking cue weighs closer to 18.5 ounces. Exactly what weight would work best for you and that cue would be a matter of trial and error.

I'm thinking about having my 19.5 ounce Viking cue reduced in weight, maybe to 18.75 ounce.

BigRigTom
11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Having done extensive research, I have concluded that the perfect weight for pool cues is 19.47835671 oz. All other cues are worthless, and should be sent to me immediately for proper disposal.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I have done extensive experiments while all this data was hermetically sealed in a mayonaise jar on the front porch since noon yesterday and I have unequivocally confirmed without a doubt that Steve has found the correct answer to this ultimate question. I just need a negative weight bolt to reduce the weight of my cue now by 0.52164329 oz. and I will be all set. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1Time
11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Having done extensive research, I have concluded that the perfect weight for pool cues is 19.47835671 oz. <hr /></blockquote>
Your conclusion is wrong.

The best pool cue weight for a given individual can vary. For example, a pool cue of brand "A" and model "B" may work best for one individual at a weight of 19 ounces, while a pool cue of brand "C" and model "D" may work best for that same individual at 18.5 ounces. And, which of these two cues works best for that individual at any particular time may depend on the size of table played, or game played, or how much a sponsor pays to use their cue.

1Time
11-11-2007, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>
I have done extensive experiments while all this data was hermetically sealed in a mayonaise jar on the front porch since noon yesterday and I have unequivocally confirmed without a doubt that Steve has found the correct answer to this ultimate question. I just need a negative weight bolt to reduce the weight of my cue now by 0.52164329 oz. and I will be all set. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

See that's what you get for using a mayonnaise jar. I can guarantee an even 0.5 ounce result if you use a Miracle Whip jar instead.

pooltchr
11-11-2007, 06:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Having done extensive research, I have concluded that the perfect weight for pool cues is 19.47835671 oz. <hr /></blockquote>
Your conclusion is wrong.

The best pool cue weight for a given individual can vary. For example, a pool cue of brand "A" and model "B" may work best for one individual at a weight of 19 ounces, while a pool cue of brand "C" and model "D" may work best for that same individual at 18.5 ounces. And, which of these two cues works best for that individual at any particular time may depend on the size of table played, or game played, or how much a sponsor pays to use their cue. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm guessing you didn't notice the smiley face, indicating that my post was tongue-in-cheek. This question has come up in the past on more than one occasion...almost as often as which brand should I buy, or which tip should I use, or which shaft spins the cue best threads. I have always held that it is an individual choice, and shouldn't be based on someone elses opinion. I didn't think anyone would take it seriously, but since you apparently did, will you be sending me all of your odd weight cues? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Steve

1Time
11-11-2007, 06:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
I didn't think anyone would take it seriously, but since you apparently did, will you be sending me all of your odd weight cues?<hr /></blockquote>

Because your conclusion is wrong, there are no "odd weight cues" for me or anyone to send.

LWW
11-12-2007, 05:22 AM
That is an age old question my friend.

It all matters on what feels and works best.

Myself, I like something in the 18 to 18.5 range.

My $0.02. YMMV, and probably will.

The nice thing is that most cues are easy to change weight on.

LWW

Snapshot9
11-12-2007, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> I really dont know that much about the different weights. In the past when learning I usually used a 21 oz cue. Last week I bought a table that came with 4 cues 19 to 21 oz. Anyway I would like to buy a better cue for myself. My table is a 8 ft table. For what its worth I am 6 ft tall and weigh around 250. I just dont know what a common weight for me I am guessing 19.5 to 20 oz. Thanks for info on cue stick weights. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve ... Your estimate of 19.5 to 20 oz. sounds about right. I shot with a 21 oz. for over 30 years, but went to 20.2 oz.. A custom made cue will feel different than one off the shelf. They are usually balanced better. My balance point is 19" from the bottom of the cue. I use a 19.5 oz Breaking cue. Most pros use a 19 to 19.5 oz. playing cue. You did not mention how much you are going to spend on a cue for yourself?

billiards89
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
i had a 20 oz viking for aa while but it seemed a little heavy so when i bought my expensive predator 5k3 i got a 19 its just right i have a scorpion j/b cue i like it at 18

Derek
11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Caromsoft:</font><hr> If possible try and find a cue with a weight bolt. You may initially decide that you like a cue at a certain weight, but if you decide to go lighter later the bolt can be replaced or cut down. <hr /></blockquote>

My McDermott is definitely butt-heavy and not well-balanced in my opinion. I experimented with the weight bolt back when I didn't know what the heck I was doing and then screwed it back in. Years later and recently, I decided to take the bolt back out. I'm loving the cue again now. I'll still eventually upgrade to a nicer custom-built cue, but it's not an immediate need now. I think the cue was 18.75 oz and now I'm not sure what it is other than better-balanced.

My preference is 18 or 19 oz for the break cue. I feel I obtain my power from velocity rather than weight.