PDA

View Full Version : Bush ...again

wolfdancer
10-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Why would he stall on this????
JEANNE MESERVE, CNN HOMELAND SECURITY CORRESPONDENT: This is an electric generator. It is vital because it's the kind that power companies use to bring electricity to your home. It shudders and shakes, then goes up in smoke. Destroyed just as effectively as if it was a smuggled bomb. But all it took was a computer. Some patient work, and the click of a mouse.

ROBERT JAMISON, HOMELAND SECURITY DEPT.: What's new here is that through a cyber attack, you can actually get in and cause physical damage to equipment. That's the new piece of this.

MESERVE: This previously classified video of a test cyber attack on a power plant control system has sent shock waves through the federal government and the power industry. Could a large-scale, simultaneous cyber attack knock out power to a huge part of the country for months?

The nightmare scenario, at first it would be inconvenient. Lights out, businesses shut. No teller machines. No gas pumps. By day three, stores would be out of food. Emergency generators, out of gas. After ten days with no hope of power being restored, people want to evacuate. But where to? With what fuel?

And with no emergency services, medicine, heating, or air- conditioning, lives could be lost. Listen to what economist Scott Borg projects if such a nightmare scenario played out with a loss of power to a third of the country for three months.

SCOTT BORG, U.S. CYBER CONSEQUENCES UNIT: It's equivalent to 40 to 50 large hurricanes striking all at once. It's greater economic damage than any modern economy has ever suffered.

MESERVE: Even the Great Depression?

BORG: It's greater than the Great Depression.

MESERVE: The potential damage is so severe, the Department of Homeland Security asks CNN not to divulge certain technical details about the government experiment. Dubbed Aurora (ph), the test was conducted last march at the Idaho National Lab. We can say that the research involved hacking in a replica of a power plant's control system.

Researchers change the operating cycle of the generator, sending it out of control, until it self-destructed. Since the test, the Department of Homeland Security has been working feverishly with the electric industry to thwart such an attack.

Can you say right now that this vulnerability has been eliminated?

JAMISON: No, I can't say it's been eliminated. But I can say a lot of risk has been taken off the table.

MESERVE: But the job of protecting power plants is hard, because control systems that open and close valves and switches and govern the load are increasingly connected to the Internet for efficiency reasons, making them vulnerable. Joe Weiss is an expert on power plant control systems and has been sounding the alarm for five years.

So, the same systems we're using here are being used in Iran, Pakistan?

JOE WEISS, APPLIED CONTROL SOLUTIONS: Very, very possibly.

MESERVE: Which means people there know how to run them?

WEISS: Absolutely.

MESERVE: They know how to bring them down?

WEISS: Absolutely. They have the same training, the same passwords.

MESERVE: And security experts say, it would be virtually impossible to figure out who attacked. In 2002, the current Director of National Intelligence, Mike McConnell, and former CIA Director James Woolsey, were among more than 50 computer and security experts who begged President Bush for a massive cyber defense program to avoid a national disaster. Five years later, there is no such program.

JAMISON: We need to get on this and get on it quickly.

MESERVE: Keeping them honest, we looked at how much is being spent on cyber security, across the federal government, it is projected there will be a slight increase next year, but homeland security cyber security budget is projected to decrease, with only $12 million budgeted for protecting control systems.

DHS points out that its own research uncovered the power plant vulnerability and action it is taking with industry is reducing the risk. But the question remains -- can the U.S. close the cyber security holes before the hackers find them?

Jeanne Meserve, CNN, Washington.

Gayle in MD
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MESERVE: And security experts say, it would be virtually impossible to figure out who attacked. In 2002, the current Director of National Intelligence, Mike McConnell, and former CIA Director James Woolsey, were among more than 50 computer and security experts who begged President Bush for a massive cyber defense program to avoid a national disaster. Five years later, there is no such program.

<hr /></blockquote>

And this is exactly his response to the warnings about the coming attack from al Qaeda. And people wonder why others don't believe him when he tries to spin it that he has to spy on all of us to protect us!

"How can forty million people be so dumb?"

Did they refuse to grasp the truth about this man, or did they just not care about anything but their partisan hatred of Democrats? why the hell did people buy into his total BS? I swear, it's incredible! I say this out of honest, genuine confusion over how this man continues to get away with his outrageous incompetence. How can anyone defend this idiot?

I'll never understand it.

Gayle in Md.

sack316
10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I say this out of honest, genuine confusion over how this man continues to get away with his outrageous incompetence. How can anyone defend this idiot?

<hr /></blockquote>

My guess: He's been a more charming "idiot" than any of the idiots that come from the other side. I'm not passing judgement or making a statement on anyone in particular by that comment, I'm just trying my best to answer the question at hand there.

Sack

Gayle in MD
10-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Yeah, he's a real charmer all right. Picking his nose at ball games. Eating and talking with his mouth full of food. Wiping bird doo doo off his suit with his hand. How much more charming and polished can he get?

"Bring em on!"

And four thousand of our kids are dead now. Mission accomplished.
All is well for Blackwater, Hallibuton, and other corporate cronies. Eight Billion dollars, shrink warpped and air lifted to Iraq, and nobody knows where it is, and they call Democrats the party of big spenders? Republicans turned the biggest surplus in history, into the biggest deficit in hostory. We're now over eight trillion in debt, and Bush led the way. 1,500 hundred dams in this country, at high risk. Bridges collapsing, and highways, sinking into oblivion, and Republicans are the party to keep us safe!

"Is our children learning?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
10-04-2007, 07:05 AM
As you can see Sack, jGayle missed your point and rambled on again.

eg8r