PDA

View Full Version : What else may help a player win more 9-ball games?

1Time
10-04-2007, 11:43 PM
A shot on the 9-ball when running out is different than any previous shot in a game for the obvious reason that making it will win the game.

However, there is another difference to consider that may help a player win more 9-ball games. All previous shots made during a run in 9-ball involve shooting the CB with some consideration for moving it into position for the next shot. But when running out to the 9-ball, there is no 10 ball to shoot next. Making shape on a specific location of an imaginary next shot when shooting the 9-ball may help a player win more 9-ball games.

What else may help a player win more 9-ball games?

cueball1950
10-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I would practice some straight pool or maybe some 10 ball. you would be surprised on how much that 1 extra ball will make in the scheme of things. But i always practice straight pool to get into stroke myself...................mike

pooltchr
10-05-2007, 04:19 AM
You are correct. We have a pre-shot routine for the first 8 balls, and then leave out an important step on the last ball. Your brain is still waiting to get the same information you had on the other balls, but you shoot before it has all the information. IOW, your brain isn't quite ready, but the body is shooting anyway.
Good point!
Steve

DSAPOLIS
10-05-2007, 08:48 AM
I love playing the 12 Ball ghost.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/12_ball_ghost.jpg

Also, many players fail to properly read the rack from beginning to end. I have a preview from my book posted in my blog that deals with reading the rack, it can be seen at this link - My Blog (http://www.myspace.com/ultimo_angel)

ceebee
10-06-2007, 11:33 AM
The Break Shot is very important too.

Making a ball on the break, & obtaining position to shoot the 1-Ball, is a great start for winning games.

After the Break Shot, if you can then pocket the 1-Ball, you can start the run. During the run, you can choose to finish what you've started or you can choose when & how to play a SAFETY, hoping for Ball-In-Hand, to complete the game.

If you see the 1-Ball, but it is difficult to pocket, you can play a SAFETY, so your opponent gets a slow start.

Lots of opportunities arrise on a good Break Shot.