PDA

View Full Version : Times, they are a changin'...are we gonna stand fo

02-25-2002, 01:36 AM
In the days since the cue-tec cues, and the laser cut points on the cues, does anyone feel we (the players) are getting an inferior product?? It is faster and easier to make cues with the technology available, but the artistry, and mastery of cuemaking is not what it used to be. The points of the cue were used, not only as decoration, but for strength and functionality. Granted, there are many excellent custom cue makers today, don't get me wrong...but we rarely see the artistry and creation of a Szamboti, Black or Scrugss (please do not feel they are the only ones)and what happens when they are gone?? Have you ever hit a ball with a Rambow cue??? It is like having a tuning fork go off inside you, and that is what a good part of the game is...touch and feel. Thank you for your replies.

02-25-2002, 01:46 AM
I don't buy cues with CNC'd points. Ugh, ugly a$$ rounded points. If the points are not vertically-milled, I ain't buyin'. No high-end robot made cues for me either. No Mcdaniels or AE.

02-25-2002, 12:27 PM
got to disagree. sorta. i've owned a rambow since i bought it from him in about '64. at that time i had a '57chevy convert, 283 4bbl. the chevy handled about the way the rambow shoots.

as to looks? yes, razor-sharp points are best. no doubt about it. friend of mine has a $4k black, ebony and ivory, that is just drop-dead georgeous.

dan...happy with my cheap pred.s.p.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-26-2002, 06:45 PM
I just saw about 7 different models of the Sigal-Varner series cues.
The were very good looking cues. The most expensive cue sold for about $180 retail.
All of them were made overseas. I was not able to hit with them, but they were not CNC. all the points were real pointed and the workmanship was above average.
The shafts were made from Canadian hard rock maple and all of them had a stainless steel joint

02-26-2002, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: archdrafter:</font><hr> In the days since the cue-tec cues, and the laser cut points on the cues, does anyone feel we (the players) are getting an inferior product?? <hr></blockquote>

Not really. In the days of Rambow, there were few custom cues made every year. If you look at that same number of cues (from the top), the quality has gone up. Of course, the bottom end has expanded tremendously. When I started playing, few players had their own cues, and most of those seemed to be Willie Hoppes or Master Strokes. I think the typical low end cue today for around $200 is better than those.

Bob Jewett

02-27-2002, 10:37 PM
If you are refering to the solid construction and not the decoration then there are lots of cuemakers out there whose cues are solid and whose cues have the "hit" like I think you are describing. But cuemaking itself has evolved so much that even the lower end cues have decent hit and on a blind test even good players would be hard pressed to determine which brand is "better" than another based on the feel of the cue's hit.

The artistry and the mastery of cuemaking is every bit of what it used to be and more. There are more cuemakers from diverse backgrounds than ever before. A lot of these cuemakers have extensive machinist experience or woodworking experience. There are engineers and even a rocket scientist among them and then there are those with no formal technical backgrounds who simply understand that quality starts with a quality foundation.

If you are not finding cues that compare to Rambows then I would respectfully suggest that you might not be looking hard enough.

If at all possible, try to attend the Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge, PA from MArch 15th-17th. http://www.superbilliards.expo.com

There you find a great collection of contemporary master cuemakers - up-and-comers and a great array of cues from just about every decade in the 20th century.

Q-guy
02-28-2002, 06:47 PM
It may sound very nostalgic to say that. But the truth is, The cues being built today are the best cues ever built due to the technology. I too believe the full spliced point are better, and many of today's cuemakers still do it that way. I had a Szamboti he built me with ivory inlays. The inlay work looked like it had been done with a dremal tool. That was acceptable back then. Balabushka did terrible inlay work. He used a lot of mother of pearl. The inlays never fit well. Glue lines and uneven point were common. Palmer made I believe one of the first really well made cues from the technical stand point. There was a lot of attention to detail. Rambow's were clubs. The best cue Rambow ever built, would not even be used by a player today.