PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Champion

wolfdancer
10-08-2007, 07:47 PM
web page (http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-obit-johnhenry&prov=ap&type=lgns)

SKennedy
10-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Who knew being "small, ugly, and bad-tempered" would pay dividends. Actually, I know some people who fit that description and they all do very well.

DeadCrab
10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I had a close encounter with John Henry as he was being led to the paddock at the Meadowlands in 1984 for what would be his final race, and victory.

Forget that small and ugly stuff. I have never felt so insignificant in my life as I did when he looked down at me and snorted.

He was a great champion. Everything a thoroughbred should be.

DickLeonard
10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
DeadCrab horses with longevity have been replaced with horses that run four of 5 races and are bought for 20 million and retired to stud. The same with the opposite sex. John Henry his name went well with a horse of great endurance. I tried to pick a name to give to a horse that would live to be 32. I can't, you try it.####

SKennedy
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I know what you mean....I wish my wife would stop looking down at me and snorting.

I'm sure the "small and ugly" comments were when he was a very young colt?
Champions are champions, whether people or horses. There's just something about them.

DeadCrab
10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm sure the "small and ugly" comments were when he was a very young colt?

No, it was just one of those things that a clueless sports writer hung on him and everybody picked up on it. He was well made and balanced with flawless action on dirt or turf.

He was sired by Ole Bob Bowers, who stood in Idaho for $1500, and was still running in claiming races at Monmouth Park at age 3. So, there was never much expected from him. The rest of his career came as a suprise to everyone.

SKennedy
10-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Wish I was good enough for someone to ask me to "stand" for $1500...

wolfdancer
10-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Dick, John Henry's story....from ill-tempered, unruly, foul mouthed (in horsey talk)...to champion...tells me that there may be a way to cut down on the disputes here with the ill-tempered, unruly, foul mouthed right...a little kindness, a few treats, and ..............

dg-in-centralpa
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I'd "stand" for much less than that. LOL My sister-in-law lives in Louisville, and when we visited her two years ago, we were going to go to the horse park, but time didn't permit. Although we did go to Churchill again.

DG