PDA

View Full Version : new bca rules

houstondan
10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
can someone point me to discussion on the new bca rules? here, there, anywhere??

thx

dan

SPetty
10-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Howdy houstondan,

The only thing I can recall that's been posted here is

this (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=191145&page=&vi ew=&sb=&o=&vc=1)

from Bob Jewett.

In the years since you've been gone, AZB has really grown, and although I don't visit there very often, they may be able to answer you.

http://forums.azbilliards.com

HTH

bsmutz
10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
There was a discussion about a week or more ago on AZBilliards main forum as well as a link to the new rules. From what I read, it's just for the BCAPL (pool league) and not intended to change the BCA rules at this time.

Eric.
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> can someone point me to discussion on the new bca rules? here, there, anywhere??

thx

dan <hr /></blockquote>

Talk about a blast from the past, how ya been, man?

For 9 ball, the BCA adopted the WPA rules.

The BCA amateur leagues (in case you didn't know) are now a separate org. Try this link for leagues rules:

http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook/tabid/372/Default.aspx

Eric

houstondan
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
hi y'all. nice to see a lot of familiar names still here.

i'm still strokin. currently i play on 2 bca leagues and we are in the process of making the change to the new bca rules. i've downloaded them(104 pages!) and studied quite a bit but changes this big will lead to issues. i'm suprised there hasn't been discussion here as this board used to have a lot of bca league players.

of course i can read the rules all day but i'm interested in how other leagues are going about implementing them. things like the progressive unsportsmanlike process. just how does that work on the ground?

guess i'll try azbilliards too but i'll keep monitoring here too.

thanks

dan

SPetty
10-11-2007, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> currently i play on 2 bca leagues and we are in the process of making the change to the new bca rules. i've downloaded them(104 pages!) and studied quite a bit but changes this big will lead to issues.<hr /></blockquote>I don't think I've heard of "new" bca rules with big changes. Where did you download them from?

houstondan
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
go to playbca.com and the download section.

http://www.playbca.com/Events/UpcomingEvents/tabid/204/Default.aspx

all bca leagues are now figuring out how to switch over now. it's a complete overhaul and the books are not even available for sale yet. downloading off that site is the only way for most of us. slowly, bca leagues is getting the books out but we need to be playing these rules now since they will absolutely be in effect at vegas next time.

must call even obvious banks and caroms or lose your turn.

ok to put cuestick on table and take hand off and use to aim.

picking up moving cue ball may be loss of match. and on, and on..

so far it's just for league play but it has to spread from there. don't know if the old bca will still publish their old rules. there are just tons of questions.

dan

SPetty
10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> go to playbca.com and the download section.

http://www.playbca.com/Events/UpcomingEvents/tabid/204/Default.aspx<hr /></blockquote>Thanks!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> all bca leagues are now figuring out how to switch over now.<hr /></blockquote>Well, maybe not all. I play in a large BCA league in the Dallas area, and we've not heard of this.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> must call even obvious banks and caroms or lose your turn.<hr /></blockquote>Are you sure it says caroms? The old rules also stated that you must call banks and combos, although there wasn't really any punishment if you didn't.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> ok to put cuestick on table and take hand off and use to aim. <hr /></blockquote>That's new.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> picking up moving cue ball may be loss of match. and on, and on..<hr /></blockquote>May be loss of match? Seems like new rules would be more specific about it.

Thanks for the link!

Tom_In_Cincy
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> can someone point me to discussion on the new bca rules? here, there, anywhere??
thx dan <hr /></blockquote>

Dan, welcome back.
The BCA has adopted the World Standard Rules (sometime in 1999)
The BCA League also used the BCA (World Standard Rule) since the league split from the BCA a few years ago.

The BCA League has now produced their OWN version of the rules to be used in the BCA League system and BCA tournaments.

It was about 18 months ago that the BCA and World Standard Rules committee members and a few selected experts, gathered in Chicago to discuss the updating of the World Standard Rules. These rules had not changed since 1999 (with only a very small wording change here and there).

It is my understanding that the Chicago meeting generated some changes that will be incorporated into the 2008 World Standard Rules version in Jan. 2008.

The BCA League rules are available on-line and if I am not mistaken, can be purchased NOW thru the BCA League office.

Bill Stock, Ken Shuman and Buddy Eick worked on the BCAL revisions for about a year before they were finalized and now published.

What is very different about this rule book is the explanation of the rulings, examples and diagrams that have been included. Very helpful in eliminating the 'interpretation' factor in the rules.

For the most part, these new rules should be very helpful to the overall fairness of league competition.

The only problem I foresee is the Old Timers adjusting to the changes. But, that will or should take care of itself in the long run.

houstondan
10-11-2007, 04:03 PM
hi, tom. good to see you're still around.

in answer, sorry, i meant combos not caroms. when you read the new rules you'll see they are insistent that non-obvious shots and all combos and banks even if obvious be called or it's end of inning.

the dallas league should go to the website and catch-up. one of my houston leagues (bogey's) did not know till i told 'em and they're steamed at league office for not letting people know. i think the league over-estimates the penetration of their website.

it goes on...try getting the rhythm of "rack your own". it's really strange and hard to get used to.

the whole "unsportsmanlike" and "team penalty" business will take a lot of sorting out. if anyone on your team, playing or not, commits one of a number of infractions then the team is on 1 foul warning. if another team member (or thew same one) then commits another of the list then a game (or 2?) is forfeited then the third infraction is loss of match. who can call these? how is the capt. involved??

someone taking a pretend stroke at the wrong time can lose you the whole match.

illegal coaching is pushed harder. if you're in the chair and one of your team-mates whispers to you that you should get a watcher on the next hit then that's a foul. not a big deal at vegas since you're physically separated by what about at league where you're all sitting together? don't wonder when you start seeing people take baseball bats to pool games

i strongly suggest that if you plan to go to bca-vegas you start using the new rules as soon as you can.

if calling safe, especially when making one of your own balls, the shooter is responsible for getting the other player to listen to and acknowledge the safe call. otherwise he can be made to keep shooting.

if you inadvertently move a ball, like with your sleeve, and it touches another ball, that's a foul.

if you inadvertently move a ball in the course of a shot and a legally moving ball comes within a 7-INCH circle around that ball(or something like that)...it's a foul.

dan

okinawa77
10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>
if calling safe, especially when making one of your own balls, the shooter is responsible for getting the other player to listen to and acknowledge the safe call. otherwise he can be made to keep shooting.

<font color="blue"> What if the opponent has A.D.D. or short term memory loss? Do I have to write a contract and have him sign it?</font color>

if you inadvertently move a ball in the course of a shot and a legally moving ball comes within a 7-INCH circle around that ball(or something like that)...it's a foul.
<font color="blue"> Does that mean I can bring my ruler, now? </font color>

dan <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> In light of all these new rules, I think these rules have come to light because somewhere along the way, someone has been using these type of tactics in order to cheat to win.

But there should come a point where a line must be drawn.

If I am going to shoot a defensive shot that involves me shooting at an object ball and that OB rolls to cover a pocket, and the cue ball caroms into another OB which bumps my opponents ball and banks to freeze on another one of his balls.....Do I need to call all that? By the time I'm half way through the narrative, my opponent will call a shot clock foul.</font color>