PDA

View Full Version : Wrap it up!

07-28-2002, 01:34 PM
I'm considering a wrap change, Irish Linen is pretty standard nowadays so I'm looking to do something different. Any suggestions?
Nothing that might damp the hands though.

Thanks in advance
Snooky

Cueless Joey
07-28-2002, 01:44 PM
Cork or smooth leather. Tim Padgett does great cork wrap. Capone and Ned Morris do great leather work. PFD does the best synthetic wrap there is. Supposedly it is stronger than leather.

07-28-2002, 02:12 PM
I've got one with King Cobra skin, and one with leather. I love both of them. The scales on the snake skin wrap are starting to lift after 15 years of use. But it has served me well.

07-28-2002, 07:32 PM
I'm loving the leather wrap on my new cue!!

DEADSTOKE32
07-28-2002, 08:13 PM
I FEEL YOU SHOULD GO BACK WITH WHAT YOU R USE 2 .LEATHER IS GOOD BUT IF YOU HAVE SWEATY HANDS I WOULD NOT GO WITH THAT .LINEN IS GOOD .CAUSE IT SOKES UP THE WATER THAT COME FROM YOUR HAND'S AND IT'S EASY TO CLEAN (LINEN WRAP'S).
I'VE DONE THEM ALL AND ALWAYS GO BACK 2 LINEN.. AND IT'S CHEAPER ..
GOOD LUCK.

BLACKHEART
07-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Remember that the purpose of the wrap is not to impove the looks of the Q, but to help you grip the Q,absorb moisture & give you an idea of where you are gripping on the Q. Looking for something "DIFFERENT", may not be whats best for your game...JER

07-29-2002, 01:24 PM
I agree with you Blackheart, that's why I said that I was looking for something different, but, that didn't damp the hands..

Thanks,
Snooky

TonyM
07-30-2002, 12:41 AM
"that's why I said that I was looking for something different, but, that didn't damp the hands.. "

There are not too many other wrap materials that fulfill this requirement.

Cork is one. It absorbs moisture also. It has pros and cons as well. You might also try a Tiger products "Stack Leather wrap". It does absorb some moisture and has a totally different feel to linen.

Other than that, I not sure what else to suggest.

Tony

nAz
07-30-2002, 12:47 AM
How about no wrap? i have seen some really hot looking cues without wraps. for me i can shoot with or with out a wrap, not that i shoot very well but i never had a prob. with grip.

TonyM
07-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Yes of course no wrap is an option, but not if you want some sort of moisture absorbing qualities. However, on some of my Snooker cues I've used a Tung oil finish. This type of finish is traditional for English Snooker cues (although they typically use double boiled Linseed oil and not Tung), and does allow the wood to absorb some of the moisture.

The modern pool cue finishes are designed to be water repellant, not absorbant.

And yes, I like no wrap as well!

Tony

nAz
07-30-2002, 02:30 PM
if i keep playing pool ill buy a new cue from Bender out in Alaska, and ill prob. op for no wrap. hmm but snake skin does look sort of cool and feels good in my hands. damn now i gotta
spend even more $$

07-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Yeah Cork is sounding good to me too... I had a friend that had cork on his and I remember liking the feel.

Thanks,
Snooky

07-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Never really took a liking to no wrap... I don't know why but I'm glad it works for you. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Snooky