PDA

View Full Version : Word Processing 101

1Time
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Welcome to Word Processing 101. (It's not really a class.)

For anyone who might find this helpful, here's how I make a single post with multiple replies to multiple posts.

1. Open a blank document using a word processing program. I use "WordPad", which is available with Microsoft Windows operating systems.

2. Click on the "Quote" link located above a post to reply to.

3. Copy the entire post that shows in the window. I do this by starting at the bottom of the document and copying to the top. A detailed explanation of how to copy and paste can be found here (http://www.worldstart.com/tips/shared/copypaste.htm).

4. Paste what was copied to the blank document and add a few spaces below it to make room for a reply.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each additional post.

6. The following in bold is an example that shows what is in the document after quoting one post that was made by "Name2" who quoted "Name1". The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

(quote=Name1) (quote=Name2) I shot pool. (/quote)

So did I. (/quote)

7. The following in bold is what the document looks like after adding a quote by "Name3". The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

So did I. (/quote)

(quote=Name3) I like to play pool. (/quote)

8. I only wanted to reply to the posts by "Name2" and "Name3" so I deleted the quote and text of "Name1" and typed replies to "Name2" and "Name3". The following in bold is what now shows in the document. The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

(quote=Name2) So did I. (/quote)

Did you play Name1?

What a coincidence, so do I.

9. Copy everything showing in the document. Return to the original thread and choose one post to reply to. Click on its "Reply" link, paste everything to it, and post.

Fran Crimi
10-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Pardon the interruption, Professor 101 --- do you use flat view? I use threaded. Should I be switching to flat view to perform this surgery of words?

Fran --- P.S. I appreciate your taking the time to post that.

1Time
10-12-2007, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Pardon the interruption, Professor 101 --- do you use flat view? I use threaded. Should I be switching to flat view to perform this surgery of words? <hr /></blockquote>

I use flat view since I prefer being able to read the posts as I scroll through them, instead of clicking on them one at a time as is done in threaded view. However, either view may be used for this word processing since the relevant difference is how a post is viewed, by clicking on it or scrolling to it. So you should use which ever view you like. Most probably use flat view for the same reason I do.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>Fran --- P.S. I appreciate your taking the time to post that. <hr /></blockquote>

You're welcome.

1Time
10-12-2007, 09:11 AM
And, here's how I make a single post with more than one reply to the same post.

1. Perform steps 2 through 4 as shown in the first post in this thread.

2. The following in bold is an example that shows what is in the document after quoting one post by "Name4". The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

(quote=Name4) This is some of the text in a post by "Name4".

This is the rest of the text in the same post by "Name4". (/quote)

3. The following in bold is what the document looks like after dividing the post by "Name4" in two and making separate replies to each. The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

(quote=Name4) This is some of the text in a post by "Name4". (/quote)

This is my reply to the first part of the post by "Name4".

(quote=Name4) This is the rest of the text in the same post by "Name4". (/quote)

This is my reply to the second part of the post by "Name4".

4. The following shows what this post looks like after being posted.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Name4:</font><hr> This is some of the text in a post by "Name4". <hr /></blockquote>

This is my reply to the first part of the post by "Name4".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Name4:</font><hr> This is the rest of the text in the same post by "Name4". <hr /></blockquote>

This is my reply to the second part of the post by "Name4".

1Time
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
The following is the same as the first post in this thread except for a correction to paragraph 6 and the addition of paragraph 10.

1. Open a blank document using a word processing program. I use "WordPad", which is available with Microsoft Windows operating systems.

2. Click on the "Quote" link located above a post to reply to.

3. Copy the entire post that shows in the window. I do this by starting at the bottom of the document and copying to the top. A detailed explanation of how to copy and paste can be found here (http://www.worldstart.com/tips/shared/copypaste.htm).

4. Paste what was copied to the blank document and add a few spaces below it to make room for a reply.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each additional post.

6. The following in bold is an example that shows what is in the document after quoting one post that was made by "Name1" who quoted "Name2". The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

So did I. (/quote)

7. The following in bold is what the document looks like after adding a quote by "Name3". The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

So did I. (/quote)

8. I only wanted to reply to the posts by "Name2" and "Name3" so I deleted the quote and text of "Name1" and typed replies to "Name2" and "Name3". The following in bold is what now shows in the document. The document will show brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ).

(quote=Name2) So did I. (/quote)

Did you play Name1?

9. Copy everything showing in the document. Return to the original thread and choose one post to reply to. Click on its "Reply" link, paste everything to it, and post.

10. The following shows what this post looks like after being posted.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Name2:</font><hr> So did I. <hr /></blockquote>

Did you play Name1?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Name3:</font><hr> I like to play pool. <hr /></blockquote>

1Time
10-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Bumping this to the top for anyone who may find it helpful.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-27-2007, 02:48 PM
For the record, your brackets can be expanded to include BOLD, Color, Italized, Font Size and lots of other smilely faces

[ QUOTE ]
There are 2 ways that this can be configured on a per board basis. If HTML is On then you will see HTML is On and you can use normal HTML in your posts. If UBBCode is on you will see UBBCode is On. The following tags are available for your use if UBBCode is enabled:

text = Makes the given text bold.
joe@email.com = Makes the given email address clickable.
text = Makes the given text italic.
url = Puts the given url in an img src tag.
text = Surrounds the given text with pre tags.
text = Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply.
link = Makes the given url into a link.
[url=linkq] title [/urlq] = Makes the given title into a hyperlink pointing to link.

Item 1
Item 1
= Makes a bullet list. [list=A] or [list=1] will make order/numbered lists.
[blushq] or /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif =
[coolq] = /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
[crazyq] = /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
[frownq] or /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif =
[laugha] or /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif =
[madq] = /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
[shockedq] =
[smilea] or /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif =
[tongueq] or /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif =
[winkq] or /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif =
<font color="redq"> text [/colorq] = Makes the given text red.
<font color="#00FF00q"> text [/colorq] = Makes the given text green.[/quoteq]

REMOVE the (q) from anything in the [x]'s above to get the desired results.

Or you can go to the 'FAQ' section and read about these bracket commands.

wolfdancer
10-27-2007, 08:24 PM
My head hurts....but thanks anyway for the "how to"

Rackum_n_Crackum
10-30-2007, 02:18 PM
I find it's MUCH easier to just click the quote button, coppy all the text, then hit your back button and go back and quote something else, then just paste the firsy (coppied) quote into the second post...If that made any sence /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1Time
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackum_n_Crackum:</font><hr> I find it's MUCH easier to just click the quote button, coppy all the text, then hit your back button and go back and quote something else, then just paste the firsy (coppied) quote into the second post...If that made any sence /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No one needs to use an external word processing program. For example, I did not use an external word processing program while making this reply. I just quoted and then started typing in the "Post" dialog box.

However, when a reply involves more complicated maneuvers, the use of an external word processing program definitely makes it easier. You can see everything on the page at the same time, and you can change the text size and type to make it easier to read.

Rackum_n_Crackum
11-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Agreed &lt;thumbs up&gt; Along the same lines, I wonder if there is a multi quote function that could be turned on for the forum........

DickLeonard
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
1Time is it possible to go back to former posts and insert into the answer section. I just got tired of answering the same posts over and over. Then I would type for ten or fifteen minutes only to have the board go dead while they did their clean-up. Just a little notice when that was going to happen would also be appreciated.

As a computer illerate thank you ####

1Time
11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> 1Time is it possible to go back to former posts and insert into the answer section. I just got tired of answering the same posts over and over. <hr /></blockquote>
The "Edit" function, which shows at the top right for each of your posts, can be used to change your posts, but only for a limited amount of time after you posted them. And so after a while the board won't let you go back and change what you posted.

To address a previous post of mine that I can no longer edit, I would "Quote" the original post and copy that to a blank document in an external word processor, make my comments, and post it as a new post.

For example, if my original post was "I shot pool." my document would look like the following except for brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis ( ): (quote=1Time) I shot pool. (/quote). Then I would add my comments, for example: I meant to say, "I shot pool like Corey Deuel." This would look as follows after posted.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I shot pool. <hr /></blockquote>

I posted the above earlier, but I meant to say "I shot pool like Corey Deuel."
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Then I would type for ten or fifteen minutes only to have the board go dead while they did their clean-up. Just a little notice when that was going to happen would also be appreciated.<hr /></blockquote>
I have lost posts like that before too. Losing what you just typed is a risk one takes by just typing in the "Post" dialog box. That's another good thing about using an external word processor; you have a copy of what you're typing so you don't lose it.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>
As a computer illerate thank you #### <hr /></blockquote>
You're welcome.