PDA

View Full Version : Fancy balls hard to see clearly

07-28-2002, 03:24 PM
I played with some of the marble-patterned balls the other evening, and I didn't like them. The decorative patterning acts as camouflage, making it considerably harder to see the edges of the balls. This is especially noticeable when the balls are clustered or railed. Thin cuts are tough enough when you can see the the object ball clearly! I haven't played with the new clear resin balls, but I suspect that they play badly also.

One assumes that these balls are intended for sale to yuppies who can't play but who own tables and want to make them look special. Well, that's okay--but I hope that the managers of honest-to-God pool rooms don't start using them.

D.M.

StLSteve
07-28-2002, 03:32 PM
I agree, those fancy balls are for show. The patterns just don't seem like they would let you see where to hit the ball, I haven't played a game with them, but it seems like they would be tough to line up on, IMHO

heater451
07-28-2002, 07:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Duke Mantee:</font><hr>. . .The decorative patterning acts as camouflage, making it considerably harder to see the edges of the balls<hr></blockquote>That's funny, because camoflauge patterns are designed to do that--they "break" an object's outline, so that the eye/brain doesn't recognize a shape, or "blot", and the object is rendered unseen.

===============

Chris Cass
07-28-2002, 08:52 PM
If your talking about Elephant Balls, I agree. I hate those things. They remind me when we were forced to play with the old clay balls. They even hit like clay balls. I hate them more than Troy does, the Sardine Gizmo. Anyone who likes them, must have a fetish for coloring Easter eggs. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~struck a nerve.....

07-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Never played with them, but it's just amazing to me that they ever used them on televised tournaments, because they're way harder to see than normal balls. Simple fact is sponsorship money talks. Doesn't matter how ridiculous the concept, there are marketing guys whose careers and fortunes are made on creating useless fads. Don't get me wrong, the elephant balls are kinda interesting and I'm sure they fit the decor of some folks games rooms, but they've really got no place in serious play.

phil in sofla
07-29-2002, 08:26 PM
The marble-ized balls are bad, I agree. Also the NFL branded balls, which tend to be clear, with no obvious 'solids' or 'stripes' to be seen, just on the numbered area. Not so hard to aim as the marble-ized ones, but hard to see the patterns of an out.

Maybe someone should make a 'torture' rack of balls, and just say that it makes playing harder, and sell them for that reason? LOL!