PDA

View Full Version : Example of 9 ball Safety break

bradb
10-12-2007, 06:14 PM
On another thread a lot of players were saying they were not having a lot of success in pocketing a ball in a 9 ball break.

Sooooooo.... I came up with this break which when executed properly sets up a nasty hook right off the break.

Looking at the diagram strike the one ball about a 1/2 tip off center using inside top english. IMPORTANT use about a table and a half roll weight.

it will take a few practice shots to get the feel. Its important to get the inside spin because you must clear the 4 ball as it comes out.

With practice I made this shot everytime over about 15 shots so its not that difficult.

I achieved a hook that was impossible to get out of about 30% of the shots because the wing ball and bottom balls will provide a wall. The rest of the time there was a kick possible which I managed to hit about 70%, (I'm a fair to middlin kick player.) Of those hits about 50% managed to get safe but set up another return hook.

All the balls will seperate except the nine which will usually stick to its cover ball. A nice result here though was many times the nine was wired for a combo.

I hope some players give it a try. I'm sure that others can improven on this set up even more.

Let me know if I'm out to lunch, Brad http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/brad1943/9ballsafetybreak.jpg http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/brad1943/After9balllbreak2jpg.jpg

Sid_Vicious
10-12-2007, 07:03 PM
What speed do you hit this shot(half-third-?) sid

Rich R.
10-12-2007, 07:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What speed do you hit this shot(half-third-?) sid <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red">Sid, I think he already answered your question. </font color>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> IMPORTANT use about a table and a half roll weight. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red">If I'm not mistaken, I think he means you should hit the cue ball hard enough for a table and a half roll.
This sounds interesting. </font color>

1Time
10-12-2007, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Its important to get the inside spin because you must clear the 4 ball as it comes out.<hr /></blockquote>

This looks like a good safety break to me. I would have guessed inside english with a little draw.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What speed do you hit this shot(half-third-?) sid <hr /></blockquote>

Just my guess...
It seems to me a slower break speed would have a better chance of getting a hook than a faster break (more control), but with more of a risk to not getting the best spread to the rack. I could imagine this working at 1/5 speed by catching the right 40% of 1 ball as seen from the break with low inside english while also focusing on getting the CB to hit near a spot on the right rail at a good speed to leave the CB behind the rack near the rail.

I should be able to try this break sometime this weekend.

bradb
10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Its important to get the inside spin because you must clear the 4 ball as it comes out.<hr /></blockquote>

This looks like a good safety break to me. I would have guessed inside english with a little draw.

Just my guess...
It seems to me a slower break speed would have a better chance of getting a hook than a faster break (more control), but with more of a risk to not getting the best spread to the rack. I could imagine this working at 1/5 speed by catching the right 40% of 1 ball as seen from the break with low inside english while also focusing on getting the CB to hit near a spot on the right rail at a good speed to leave the CB behind the rack near the rail.

I should be able to try this break sometime this weekend. <hr /></blockquote>

Good questions brought up here by all. I went back to my table and analysed the shot again.

For the hit on the 1B use about 1/4 to 1/2 ball depending on how fast your table is. Mine is very fast so I use 1/4.

The top inside english is very important, you must clear the 4 ball as it bounces off the rail, also you want to get behind the rack. You don't have to get to the spot on the diagram anywhere back there is a hook.

I'm guessing table and a half roll but its a matter of practice, use enough power to get behind with spin, but its not very hard. The balls will spread somewhat but half of the rack will still be close.

Once you get the speed and the hit down... its deadly!

Since your opponent must drive a ball to the rail he must use force to hit the 1B, this will spread the balls more.

-Brad

Jal
10-12-2007, 09:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>...Sooooooo.... I came up with this break which when executed properly sets up a nasty hook right off the break.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Brad,

Just wondering if you drove four numbered balls to a rail?

Jim

bradb
10-12-2007, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>...Sooooooo.... I came up with this break which when executed properly sets up a nasty hook right off the break.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Brad,

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

Yipes... does it take 4?

I'm positive that I got at least 3 everytime.

SKennedy
10-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks...will give it a try..if I can make myself play that safe...

Jal
10-12-2007, 10:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>...Sooooooo.... I came up with this break which when executed properly sets up a nasty hook right off the break.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Brad,

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

Yipes... does it take 4?

I'm positive that I got at least 3 everytime.
<hr /></blockquote>Afraid so. From the standardized rules of 9-ball:

"5.4 LEGAL BREAK SHOT
The rules governing the break shot are the same as for other shots except:

1. The breaker must strike the 1-ball first and either pocket a ball or drive at least four numbered balls to the rail.

2. If the cue ball is pocketed or driven off the table, or the requirements of the opening break are not met, it is a foul, and the incoming player has cue ball in hand anywhere on the table. ..."

Sorry about that. Since Bob Jewett is re-writing the rules as we speak, maybe you can offer him some incentive to "forget" about this unpleasantness. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim

bradb
10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
<hr /></blockquote>Afraid so. From the standardized rules of 9-ball:

"5.4 LEGAL BREAK SHOT
The rules governing the break shot are the same as for other shots except:

1. The breaker must strike the 1-ball first and either pocket a ball or drive at least four numbered balls to the rail.

Sorry about that. Since Bob Jewett is re-writing the rules as we speak, maybe you can offer him some incentive to "forget" about this unpleasentness. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

No problem.. I've modified it and now 5 hit the rail. I'll send a new diagram and play.

Deal or no deal is on, can't miss that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bradb
10-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I have posted a new thread with modifications. -brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jager85
10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
What happens when you end up making a ball? Every rack is different and this is a possibility. I used to soft, saftety break but then I ended up making a ball all too often and being left with the hook.

1Time
10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jager85:</font><hr> What happens when you end up making a ball? Every rack is different and this is a possibility. I used to soft, saftety break but then I ended up making a ball all too often and being left with the hook. <hr /></blockquote>

Post in the new modified thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=259862&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1).

bradb
10-17-2007, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jager85:</font><hr> What happens when you end up making a ball? Every rack is different and this is a possibility. I used to soft, saftety break but then I ended up making a ball all too often and being left with the hook. <hr /></blockquote>

Thats a danger and has happened to me in practice, but its rare.

I challenged a friend (very good 9 ball player) who has said that he has never been fouled out, that no scenerio could stop him from a hit. I got off a deadly break like the diagram shown and got him in trouble. when I buried him the forth time he lost. He was pretty hot and said "lets see that again." The second time I just got a medium hook and he hit it leaving me tough. After a long series of exchanges he finally got his revenge.

Having had some success with it, I still would'nt reccommend it, but keep it in your bag.