PDA

View Full Version : Players Sneaky Pete ?

steve617
10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I am just getting back into playing and I consider myself around the intermediate level. The cues came with the table I bout are cheapo's (Crest Brand). What I was thinking about doning is buy a Players Sneaky Pete untill I can afford a much better cue such as a Mcdermott or Viking. The Players I was looking at is the Cocobolo which runs around $44. I was going to later make it my break cue once I get my better cue. Anyway would the players sneaky pete be a decent stick. Thanks for any info

thedude
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Player's sneaky pete was the first cue I bought. I honestly can't remember how it played in comparison to the cues I use now... probably very badly. I think its fine for a first cue, and for 44 bucks. I would probably change the tip, but there lies a problem, why spend ten to twenty bucks on a nice layered tip for a 44 dollar cue.

I recall the cue playing alright, it wasn't so much the quality of the cue... but being able to play with the same cue every time - so I was able to adjust to how that particular cue hit. I eventually gave the cue away, and bought a low end viking. Then I bought a Jacoby and gave away the viking. I still have the jacoby, so it stood 7 years of playing/testing. I also have a predator sneaky pete, and predator 5K3. I keep changing my mind on which I like better , the predators(because of the shaft) or the jacoby(which is just a sexy beast.)

If I were to do it all over again, I'd of bought a $100-120 Mcdermott cue... I've never played with one, but they have a life time guarantee(i'm sure there's some loopholes in the gurantee, but you'll have that.) Then if I ever wanted to upgrade, I'd just buy a different shaft(the mcdermott I-series, ob-1, predator, etc.)

I generally just use house cues for the break. I have a soft break anyway, so I use my playing cue a lot to break with... mainly because I like playing 14.1, so if I'm breaking from the start I'm playing a safety off the corner ball anyway.

DeadCrab
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
There are two Players sneaky Petes. The cheaper one was sent to me by mistake, and I sent it back to get the better one. There is a substantial difference in quality between the two. I would definitely recommend that you get the better of the two, which can be had for under $80.

I also own a low end McDermott. There is not a great difference between the Players and McD, except that the McD has better balance for me. The Players is a bit butt-heavy. Both are 19 oz.

I think the Players cue shown here:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/players/players_s-pspbf.htm

would be the best value.

thedude
10-12-2007, 08:23 PM
My experience was with low end players sneaky pete, didn't even know they made a higher end version! Here's my $40 players sneaky pete(or former sneaky pete) (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/players/players_s-pspr.htm) Thats why I suggested the going ahead and getting a low end Mcdermott...I was quite satisfied with my low end Viking - then I got bitten by the cue bug, and had to get something fancier. Every pool player, good or bad, gets bit by the cue bug here and there.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
There are two Players sneaky Petes. The cheaper one was sent to me by mistake, and I sent it back to get the better one. There is a substantial difference in quality between the two. I would definitely recommend that you get the better of the two, which can be had for under $80.

I also own a low end McDermott. There is not a great difference between the Players and McD, except that the McD has better balance for me. The Players is a bit butt-heavy. Both are 19 oz.

I think the Players cue shown here:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/players/players_s-pspbf.htm

would be the best value.

<hr /></blockquote>

1Time
10-12-2007, 08:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> What I was thinking about doning is buy a Players Sneaky Pete untill I can afford a much better cue such as a Mcdermott or Viking. The Players I was looking at is the Cocobolo which runs around $44. I was going to later make it my break cue once I get my better cue. Anyway would the players sneaky pete be a decent stick. Thanks for any info <hr /></blockquote>

My guess is that sneaky pete would be a decent cue stick, but I do not suggest buying it. Your 1st cue should be more like your 2nd cue will be. This will allow your stroke to develop more like what will be required of your 2nd cue. And, there will be less of an adjustment to your stroke when changing to your 2nd cue. So something that feels and plays more like a Viking or McDermott would be best.

My cue is a Viking G-06 and when I had it in the shop recently for a re-tip, I shot with one of my pool buddy's spare cues, a "Wizard". It was the same weight as my Viking, 19.5, and to my surprise it reminded me a lot of my Viking. Most of the difference between the two was in the wraps and tips. I searched for this Wizard cue online but could only find it selling on eBay new for under $25 shipped. Search eBay for "wizard cue poolstick". I couldn't say how well this cue would hold up over time and at that price I question it's quality, but I definitely recommend it for a good starter. At worst it may warp over time and require you to buy a better shaft. Another thing is the Wizard cue selling on eBay has a different tip than the one I shot with.

SKennedy
10-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Some sneaky pete's are as high as a good quality stick. Save your money and wait and get the one you want.