PDA

View Full Version : Cue ball off table???

smoothstroke
10-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I was having a discussion with another masters player, and he was telling me if the cue ball leaves the table and runs along the top of the rail and then comes back to the table there is no foul, however if during it's ride on top of the rail it touches the "wood"it is....I thought if it came back to the table regardless of it's touching the "wood" no foul is occured. which is correct???

1Time
10-13-2007, 02:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smoothstroke:</font><hr> I was having a discussion with another masters player, and he was telling me if the cue ball leaves the table and runs along the top of the rail and then comes back to the table there is no foul, however if during it's ride on top of the rail it touches the "wood"it is....I thought if it came back to the table regardless of it's touching the "wood" no foul is occured. which is correct??? <hr /></blockquote>

It's not a foul if the object ball returns to the bed of the pool table under its own power after having not come in contact with anything other than a fixed part of the pool table. This would not include, for example, a piece of chalk sitting on the table or a light fixture.

"11. BALLS JUMPED OFF THE TABLE. (http://www.insidechadron.com/rules.php)
Balls coming to rest other than on the bed of the table after a stroke (on the cushion top, rail surface, floor, etc.) are considered jumped balls. Balls may bounce on the cushion tops and rails of the table in play without being jumped balls if they return to the bed of the table under their own power and without touching anything not a part of the table. The table shall consist of the permanent part of the table proper. (Balls that strike or touch anything not a part of the table, such as the light fixture, call pocked disc, chalk on the rails and chalk on the wood cushion tops, shall be considered jumped balls even though they might return to the bed of the table after contacting items which are not parts of the table proper.) When a stroke results in the cue ball or any object ball being a jumped ball off the table, the stroke is a foul. All jumped object balls are spotted (except in Nine Ball) when all ball have stopped moving."

smoothstroke
10-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks, that was my understanding also.

Bob_Jewett
10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smoothstroke:</font><hr> I was having a discussion with another masters player, and he was telling me if the cue ball leaves the table and runs along the top of the rail and then comes back to the table there is no foul, however if during it's ride on top of the rail it touches the "wood"it is....I thought if it came back to the table regardless of it's touching the "wood" no foul is occured. which is correct??? <hr /></blockquote>
At carom billiards, it is a foul to touch the wood. At pool it is OK.