PDA

View Full Version : Flatter tip for a straighter shot?

1Time
10-13-2007, 06:49 AM
It seems when I have the tip more perfectly rounded, it's harder to shoot a straight shot.

Does it make sense to flatten the top of the tip somewhat for a straighter shot?

pooltchr
10-13-2007, 07:58 AM
There is a reason the face of the tip is rounded. It allows you to control the kind of spin, if any, that you are putting on the cue ball. If the tip is flat, you lose way too much control of the spin on the cue ball.

Shooting straight starts with the proper stroke, designed to move the cue forward in a straight line. If your stroke is good, the rounded tip shouldn't cause any problems. If you're having a problem shooting straight isn't caused by the tip.
JMHO
Steve

Steve

BigRigTom
10-13-2007, 09:27 AM
If you have a problem with your stroke it will definitely make straight shots more difficult and if you combine the stroke problem with hitting the cue off center you have an even more pronounced problem when hitting long straight shots because you will create unwanted squirt and throw.

Sid_Vicious
10-13-2007, 09:38 AM
If you are certainly wanting to focus on more center ball CB hits, yes the flatter tip will be wise. My breaker is purposely designed at a quarter roundness and it plays well also when I get lazy and shoot through after a break. The game is in the summary as well. Billiards uses a flatter(nickel) roundness, 9-ball of course uses more roundness for the spin. Here's my opinion: Round to a nickel, and leave the tip alone and let the stroke you have adjust to the roundness contour. The tip will get it's "behavior" of circumference all on it's own, no tools required. Patience and belief, time will give you the roundness you need. Btw, my tips are all hard tips, mediums should be the same in general though. sid

cushioncrawler
10-14-2007, 01:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> It seems when I have the tip more perfectly rounded, it's harder to shoot a straight shot. Does it make sense to flatten the top of the tip somewhat for a straighter shot?<hr /></blockquote>I vote "yes". And, i would (might) go for a thicker tip too (12' table here). I suspekt that a tip radius about equal to the ball radius might be goodish for most (depending on what range u wanted to favor). madMac.