PDA

View Full Version : What's so special about an Irish Linen wrap?

1Time
10-13-2007, 07:01 AM
It seems most production cues offer an Irish linen wrap as the standard wrap. Many models do not even offer the option of no wrap, while others only offer a leather wrap option. While nylon wraps come standard with very few cues, mostly cheap ones, no production cues that I can find offers a nylon wrap as an option.

So, what's so special about an Irish Linen wrap that makes it so popular?

Snapshot9
10-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Linen has many desirable traits, it doesn't fray like nylon does, it goes on smoothly, it lays good, its long lasting, and comes in many colors and blends (like black with white speck in it, etc.). I had double pressed black Irish linen wrap on mine since I don't care for the speck look.

The Irish have been known for centuries for the quality of their linen. Do you know that in Ireland, the temperature
stays between 45 and 75 degrees all the year round?

BLACKHEART
10-14-2007, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> It seems most production cues offer an Irish linen wrap as the standard wrap. Many models do not even offer the option of no wrap, while others only offer a leather wrap option. While nylon wraps come standard with very few cues, mostly cheap ones, no production cues that I can find offers a nylon wrap as an option.

So, what's so special about an Irish Linen wrap that makes it so popular? <hr /></blockquote>

The linen may have "IRISH" in the name, but it does not come from Ireland. Nylon is slipery &amp; doesn't wear as well as linen. Because linen is made from cotton, it has the ability to absorb sweat. Althogh the way we install it now, is to use starch before pressing it flat. That sort of takes most of the absobing qualities out...JER

MikeM
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Actually Jerry it's made from flax, which indeed does absorb moisture!

MM

ToughBreak
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Here is the skinny, boys, straight from Wikipedia:
"Irish linen is the brand name given to linen produced in Ireland. Linen is made from the flax fibre, which was grown in Ireland for many years before advanced agricultural methods and more suitable climate led to the concentration of quality flax cultivation in northern Europe (Most of the world crop of quality flax is now grown in Northern France, Belgium and the Netherlands).Irish Linen yarn is defined as yarn which is spun in Ireland from 100% flax fibres. Irish Linen fabric is defined as fabric which is woven in Ireland from 100% linen yarns. The yarns do not necessarily have to come from an Irish spinner."
Hope this helps.
ToughBreak

BLACKHEART
10-18-2007, 08:37 AM
My supplier tells me that the stuff we buy today is made from cotton, because it's cheaper...JER

Bob_Jewett
10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ToughBreak:</font><hr> ... "Irish linen is the brand name given to linen produced in Ireland. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I'm betting that the "Irish linen" on pool cues has never seen Ireland.

For lots of players, "Irish linen" is a lousy material for a wrap. I think it gets used as much as it does out of tradition.

craigstevens
10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
It was fish line.

It's now made by Omalley and po dung chow, give me a break. Irish Linnen. What a joke. Call it what it is, chow dung wrap-

I like soft water buffalo, it's not pretty, but so soft and
nice. That what was on my original Hoppe, Rambo and later my Balabushka. I have a bag I carry my pool stuff in made out of it. When I play in the far East I pick it up over there dirt cheap. Todays leather wraps are gorgeous, but too hard and slick for me. Hard and slick is my road partner and manager, not my grip and wrap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Irish linen was innovated by the great Chicago cuemaker Herman Rambow, circa the mid- to late '30s, I'd guess. His shop was right above the great sporting goods store V L &amp; A; the linen was sold there as fishing line. That's where he got the idea, made his first purchase, and maintained his inventory from that point on. GF