PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball

07-28-2002, 04:30 PM
9-ball is arguably the easiest sport in the world. No other exciting sport in the world allows for the option to play it safe- agree or disagree I'd like to know everyones opinion and why. Thanks Canwin

BS. . . . bored silly

Vapros
07-28-2002, 04:45 PM
There's no connection between being allowed to play a safe and being easy. That's terrible logic. If it were the easiest sport in the world, I would expect all the losers to jump into the river. Who would want to be remembered for losing at the easiest game in the world?

07-28-2002, 05:08 PM
I'd like to know why you think it's so easy? Yes, you can think of the game as nine simple balls on a table, but the challenge comes in when you're faced with the efforts to run them out. Some still might say it sounds easy, and yes for some more advanced players it might just be.
The obsticles however lay on the table when you don't do things so "perfectly" that you might just get hooked behind some ball, or you're faced with creating angles or breaking clusters... true that this applies to all games in pool but my point is that 9-ball is not excluded either. This doesn't exclude the facts that english, masse, jumpshots, draw and follow play it's part...well add the fact that proper speed and touch are to be determined also. Well after all that is decided, you still have to make the shot!
I'd like to further my point by adding the possibility of getting the first break--what do you do when you don't get a ball in, and that you might come across a player that could keep you in a seat for a whole match, and then how easy is the game now? LOL.
-- I'm not jumping down your neck or anything... just clearing the air I guess... LOL.

Snooky --- <-- still LOL.

Doomsday Machine
07-28-2002, 05:42 PM
9-ball is not the "easiest sport in the world". Even players that have been playing for years and have a good stroke have trouble running more than 2 or 3 racks in a row. I have been around world class players for many years, Ortmann, Souquet, Engert, Reyes, Jay Swanson, Toby Sweet, Bustamante, Bob Ogbourne, Tom Brown, etc., etc. What these players do when they are "on a roll" I would never classify as "easy". To run rack after rack, and in the event they get an unlucky roll, to play a perfect safe to keep their opponent from having a shot is an art form in itself.

9-ball combines shot making ability, banking, control of the cue ball, touch, speed control, control of the power of the break, safe play, etc., etc. Anyone who has ever been able to experience players who are masters of this game up close realizes how difficult it is to play 9-ball at the world class level. They may make it look easy on TV, but the game is not that easy. Watching Tiger play golf you would also probably think that golf is "easy" and it must be easy to shoot 66-67 on a tough course. All of the greats in any sport tend to make their sport look easy, Jordan, Tiger, Nicklaus, Sandy Koufax, Barry Bonds, John Elway, Carl Lewis, etc.

Patrick
07-28-2002, 05:54 PM
9-ball is the easiest game in the world, pool is the hardest game in the world, it is unlimited. Chess is limited.

Patrick

<font color=blue>"A very high intelligence, a very good body, and natural spiritual abilities all combined makes me the most powerful human ever lived."</font color=blue>

Doomsday Machine
07-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Patrick, if you are going to use such blusterous quotes in describing yourself, you might want to include the word "that" which is missing from the description of yourself:

"powerful human THAT ever lived."

Furthermore you state "chess is limited". The number of possible permutations in any given game is 10 to the 40th power, which is roughly the number of atoms in the universe. Deep Blue, the computer from IBM which beat Kasparov a few years ago, can analyse 200,000,000 chess moves per second. I think it is ridiculous for you to classify chess as a "limited" game.

07-28-2002, 07:30 PM
Great minds think alike!

cheesemouse
07-28-2002, 07:44 PM
canwin,
9-ball is easy after years and years of hard work. LOL LOL As for no other sport not allowing for safe play; I don't think you thought about your question long enough. You can play safe in any sport.

07-29-2002, 12:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doomsday Machine:</font><hr> Patrick, if you are going to use such blusterous quotes in describing yourself, you might want to include the word "that" which is missing from the description of yourself:

"powerful human THAT ever lived."

Furthermore you state "chess is limited". The number of possible permutations in any given game is 10 to the 40th power, which is roughly the number of atoms in the universe. Deep Blue, the computer from IBM which beat Kasparov a few years ago, can analyse 200,000,000 chess moves per second. I think it is ridiculous for you to classify chess as a "limited" game. <hr></blockquote>

see, i changed the header.

i see a lot of similarities between chess and pool. especially now that i'm shooting a fair a mount of 1-p lately. the comparison works, the application of strategy, in all kinds of pool but especially, it seems, in 1-p.

dan..needs to buy a chess set.

Patrick
07-29-2002, 06:34 AM
You can reach the highest level in chess but not in pool.
In pool you control the cueball closer and closer, 1000000th of a mm, it never ends how close you get. This is what I mean with unlimited. In chess there is a limit, because there are only so many different moves you can make, and you don't need to position anything, you move the chess piece anywhere in a square and it is in that square.

Patrick

<font color=blue>"A very high intelligence, a very good body, and natural spiritual abilities all combined makes me the most powerful human that ever lived."</font color=blue>

07-29-2002, 11:40 AM
cheesemouse and others, I clouded the issue by stating that 9-ball is the easiest sport in the world as anything you attempt to master is not easy. But there is a loophole that distinguishes itself apart from other sports. There is no greater penalty in other sports that can compare with 1 foul ball in hand in 9-ball. It's very difficult to compare 9-ball to other sports because the format is so different. In most sports, people compete as a member of a team. The sports that involve individual competitors like track, golf, bike racing are still not comparable. You are not competing against one person but an entire field. Tennis and ping-pong are the only sports that I think are comparable in the sense of format (1 person against another-alternating shots), but even then it's hard to take that comparison too far because the object of the game is different. There's no playing safe in tennis-you either return the ball or not. There's no playing safe in baseball except pitching out or walking a batter on purpose. There's no playing safe in football except for downing the ball on purpose. In golf, you can lay up for different reasons. You can't play it safe in bowling, ping-pong or volleyball. Granted, in any sport you don't take the most aggressive path or shot every time but that's not what I'm trying to define. Never in my mind's eye has a rule change from the original game changed the game so radically as to betray the spirit of the game. It's kind of a 1-pocket/9-ball mutation. The option of going for a game-ending foul sterilizes the game by denying true cueball moves and movement and shots and reduces it to a generic form of 9-ball that goes against how it was originally intended to be played. How much would ball in hand impact 1-pocket? Well that's what basically happened to 9-ball in my opinion. Also, one foul ball in hand is an unfair advantage and manipulation and is used as a psychological ploy. A comparison of what I think is an example would be if a golfer didn't hit the fairway, then his opponent who he was matched with gets to take his ball to the green and drop it within 6" of the hole. Or, if a batter struck out, the other team gets a run added to their score. Or, if a person faulted once in tennis, their opponent gets to walk to the net and (with ball in hand) smash the ball into the court for 4 points. And to those who say that safes are an artform I would say, then why do you need ball in hand as a penalty? The bottom line for me is that for any shot in 9-ball no matter how easy or difficult-you don't have to go for the shot as the rules stand. You can elect for an easier way-duck the shot-hook the opponent-and if all goes right-get ball in hand. What was considered dirty pool is now the vogue for smart play. Why do you get to push out after the break and not anytime after-why not just do away with that push too. As always, I appreciate all responses even though you might not agree. Thanks canwin. . .

winces every time he hears applause at a tournament for a safe instead of a shot

07-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't you agree that in pool, the toughest opponent is "YOU" (generally speaking)
It's up to "you" to stay on the table isn't it?

MikeM
07-29-2002, 01:49 PM
So what are you suggesting should be the penalty for not hitting the lowest object ball on the table? If there were no penalty, it could become a very boring game of pushout. And you still seem to be assuming that it is easy to play safe. I don't seem to be able to play effective safeties. If you could show me how to play safe easily it would be greatly appreciated./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

MM

Tom_In_Cincy
07-29-2002, 02:36 PM
9 ball use to be played as a "Two Shot Foul" game.

You had to foul twice for the opponent to be given ball in hand.

Prior to that, you could only get ball in hand in the kitchen, any ball made on a foul would be spotted (in numerical order, lowest number closest on the spot, a ploy used if anohter ball already is on the spot, to hook the player with Cue ball in hand in the kitchen)

You had to know how to shoot the spot shot..

The advantage was always to the better player using these rules. Position play was not as critical because you always had an alternative, the PUSH ( or Roll out option ). If you were hooked, you could roll out to a position that your opponent would either take the shot, or let you shoot again.

The one foul rule changed all that, making the game much faster and equalized the more experienced players with the newer players. Easier to learn, easier to gamble for spots.

Ball in Hand is indeed a powerful tool. To get it by accident is easy, to get it by design.. is the tough part, to have your opponent foul 3 times is a guaranted win.. (in most rules, even in One Pocket)

cheesemouse
07-29-2002, 03:03 PM
I think the 'ball in hand' rule is the best thing that has happened in pool since the leather tip.

07-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Think again.

cheesemouse
07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Think again. <hr></blockquote>

OK,..............BIH is the best thing since the invention of the wheel....... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Tom, In 2 foul/ ball in hand 9-ball you can get to place the Q-ball anywhere in the kitchen if the opponent actually scratches the Q ball into a pocket (and they are on their 1st foul), but you have to shoot out of the kitchen. You get ball in hand anywhere on the table if your opponent fouls twice in a row and you can shoot from anywhere. (a push, scratch, and bad hits are all fouls) This you know. A fast, exciting variation of which you spoke of is: if you or the opponent makes a ball and scratches, keep that ball (and any other balls )down, and drop any ball or balls next in numerical sequence that might be in the kitchen, then shoot the remaining balls that are out of the kitchen in numerical sequence . The only stipulation is that if the 8 and 9 are the only balls left on the table and you scratch (and you are on your 1st foul) and the 8 is in the kitchen ,then you have to spot the 8 and the opponent has to take a shot at the 8 from the kitchen. This variation, as you know, will counteract the spot shot ploy you mentioned and it is as fast as 1 foul /ball in hand. As so many random things occur in 9-ball, this provides for more skill and suspense at the end game scenario when pressure is increased than watching a person get ball in hand on the 8,ducking the 8,and hooking you on the 9,or worse yet, dogging the 8 (or any other ball for that matter) and getting the hook. As far as using the roll out option,there are alot of interesting,imaginative uses for the pushout even when all the balls are in the clear and you are not hooked.
I disagree with you when you say that position play is not that critical because you always have the alternative to PUSH (or Roll out option), because there are many instances in 9-ball where hooks can happen randomly and are not confined to one particular set of rules. And the one foul rule did not change all that. In 1 foul ball in hand ,not only do you have these kinds of random hooks, but you have intentional hooks also. Not only is position play not that critical ,but neither is shot making ability, because you always have the option to DUCK (or to not attempt the shot at all) with the sole purpose of acquiring a ball in hand situation. And if that's not enough, you can pass up an open table and elect to try to get ball in hand again and again. This type of ball in hand mentality, chipping and not shooting, does not need a higher degree of skill as even intermediates can rise to this situation. This chipping kind of ploy has spawned all kinds of half-hearted safe shooting ploys that look like shots but aren't: over cutting , undercutting or miss to hide the Q ,feigning a bank shot, or just blatant chips. And what's all this high percentage-low percentage shot stuff? Where do you draw the line? Is it low percentage because you lack the knowledge/skill/nerve to make the shot and get shape ,or is it a high percentage shot because it's an easy shot to play safe and get ball in hand or is it a low percentage shot because if you make the ball you'll have med.- low percentage shape for your talent level on the next shot ,or is it a high percentage shot if. . . . What's easier is not always better for a sport and that's what I think differentiates 9-ball from what it could be and what it is. canwin

07-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Tom, In 2 foul/ ball in hand - 9-ball you can get to place the Q-ball anywhere in the kitchen if the opponent actually scratches the Q ball into a pocket (and they are on their 1st foul), but you have to shoot out of the kitchen. You get ball in hand anywhere on the table if your opponent fouls twice in a row and you can shoot from anywhere. (a push, scratch, and bad hits are all fouls) This you know. A fast, exciting variation of which you spoke of is: if you or the opponent makes a ball and scratches, keep that ball (and any other balls )down, and drop any ball or balls next in numerical sequence that might be in the kitchen, then shoot the remaining balls that are out of the kitchen in numerical sequence . The only stipulation is that if the 8 and 9 are the only balls left on the table and you scratch (and you are on your 1st foul) and the 8 is in the kitchen ,then you have to spot the 8 and the opponent has to take a shot at the 8 from the kitchen. This variation, as you know, will counteract the spot shot ploy you mentioned and it is as fast as 1 foul /ball in hand. As so many random things occur in 9-ball, this provides for more skill and suspense at the end game scenario when pressure is increased than watching a person get ball in hand on the 8,ducking the 8,and hooking you on the 9,or worse yet, dogging the 8 (or any other ball for that matter) and getting the hook. There are many interesting and imaginative pushes in 2 foul/ball in hand that can be played without having to be hooked.
I disagree with you when you say that position play is not that critical because you always have the alternative to PUSH (or Roll out option), because there are many instances in 9-ball where hooks can happen randomly and are not confined to one particular set of rules. And the one foul rule did not change all that. In 1 foul ball in hand ,not only do you have these kinds of random hooks, but you have intentional hooks also. Not only is position play not that critical ,but neither is shot making ability ,because you always have the option to DUCK (or to not attempt the shot at all) with the sole purpose of acquiring a ball in hand situation. And if that's not enough, you can pass up an open table and elect to try to get ball in hand again and again. This type of ball in hand mentality, chipping and not shooting, does not need a higher degree of skill as even intermediates can rise to this situation. This chipping kind of ploy has spawned all kinds of half-hearted safe shooting ploys that look like shots but aren't: over cutting , undercutting or miss to hide the Q ,feigning a bank shot, or just blatant chips. And what's all this high percentage-low percentage shot stuff? Where do you draw the line? Is it low percentage because you lack the knowledge/skill/nerve to make the shot and get shape ,or is it a high percentage shot because it's an easy shot to play safe and get ball in hand or is it a low percentage shot because if you make the ball you'll have med.- low percentage shape for your talent level on the next shot ,or is it a high percentage shot if. . . . What's easier is not always better for a sport and that's what I think differentiates 9-ball from being what it could be and what it is. canwin

cheesemouse
07-30-2002, 07:56 PM
canwin,
Sorry man, I think your babbling; it ain't going to happen.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-30-2002, 08:11 PM
canwin..

Everything you mentioned has already been done, and they aren't being followed anymore.... and the present day rules (leagues and tournament)are in place for a while..

I suggest, either embracing this present day 9 ball or find someone to play your way and have a good time.

07-30-2002, 10:28 PM
cheesemouse, You may not agree with me but that doesnt make my opinion babbling. Babbling means spouting thoughts for which have no reasonable or logical basis. Theres nothing silly about what Im talking about. Im talking about the issues in a realistic sense. I may not be able to change it but neither do I have to approve of it. Likewise, I may not agree with the way things are but that doesnt mean that I dont realize that thats the current state of affairs. I have an opinion that happens to run contrary to the current reality of 9-ball. That makes me neither a Buddah or a babbler. canwin

07-30-2002, 10:36 PM
This is true and I do. canwin

cheesemouse
07-31-2002, 06:03 AM
canwin,
Pre 1975 two foul ball in hand was the prevalent game in 9-ball for matching up. At its best 9-ball is a 'run &amp; gun' game with a few brutal safties throw in. 2 foul BIH takes a fast paced full choke game and reduces it to a never take a chance slowed down dink game. The BIH rule puts a premium on staying in line and excellent safty play, two chisled in stone abilities of advance play.
If you can talk players into a game of 2 fouls BIH once your a good salesman, if you can do it twice you could rule the world...if last years U.S. OPEN was played with the rules your suggesting it wouldn't be over yet.
I would like to be a fly on the wall while your trying to expain to a young player who has never played any pool w/o the BIH rule.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>That makes me neither a Buddah or a babbler. canwin
<hr></blockquote> ......your right, it makes you a player talking instead of chalking. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

bluewolf
07-31-2002, 06:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: canwin:</font><hr> cheesemouse, You may not agree with me but that doesnt make my opinion babbling. Babbling means spouting thoughts for which have no reasonable or logical basis. <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse is funny.

i really admire you guys who are good at this game.i am very attracted to it and also love watching the pros on tv play it.

i recognize i am not good enuff yet at cuts and position to be good at 9-ball. as my skills improve, i assume my 9 ball will be better.still lots to learn for this camper

"just when I think I know something, I realize I know nothing, considering all there is to be known"

bluewolf

bluewolf
07-31-2002, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> 9-ball is the easiest game in the world, pool is the hardest game in the world, it is unlimited. Chess is limited.

To quote from the movie 'deep impact'

"this isnt a video game,son"

bluewolf

cheesemouse
07-31-2002, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>cheesemouse is funny. <hr></blockquote>

bluewolf,
Others may not agree...... LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-31-2002, 11:27 AM
2 foul ball in hand takes a fast paced game and reduces it to a never take a chance slowed down dink game.
If the US Open was played with the rules your suggesting it wouldnt be over yet.

Can you give some reasons or logic behind that statement. Now you got me curious. Maybe an example to shed some light on why you think this is true. Readers wouldnt want to think your babbling. LOL
I must be dyslectic because I think just the opposite. But hey, to each their own. Id also tell young people, beginners ,and the world that to learn how to make shots and move the Q ball in all situations is way more important and adds an element of more fun and interest to push out and dare their opponents to respond to the push or to see what they do with it themselves in response. Theres plenty of time to learn how to hide the Q ball and to deal with blocked shots. And Id tell them why people try to block your shot. And Id tell them that this historically was the way to play and theres nothing to be ashamed about. So go ahead and take the training wheels off in the beginning. You can learn all kinds of different banks, learn about shooting at distances, learn about speed control, learn the effects of English, the diamond system, and learn that they can use their imagination in a way that you cant when you play the other way. This is the underlying basis for my beliefs. (and Id swat that fly with a flyswatter) Just because the pros play it one way doesnt mean thats the end all way to learn. Dam this is good s#%^! or this this just me HAHAHA ala CarolNYC! Bless her heart!
I agree that the BIH rule puts a premium on staying in line and excellent safety play. But the randomness of 9-ball allows for the rewarding of BIH even if you dont. 2 foul/BIH allows for this randomness by making it more difficult to receive BIH. Im not a 9-ball lemming with a 1foul/ball in hand mentality who follows the idea that 1 foul/BIH is quicker just because thats what Ive been told. So I disagree there because Ive seen it played by pros just as fast. And whats up with all this quickness anyway. Because youve been told that its better for TV. Boy, theres alot of that! Good point. Wow, now Im speaking for you so I better end this. I cant wait for you to sum up all that knowledge and muster up a paragraph in response.(Laughing hysterically) I kid you not! Besides, all the blue chalk on the keys is messing things up and the girlfriend is getting mad. You didnt know I chalk and talk at the same time did you?
This is a challenge starting with all CCBers starting with you cheesemouse, Ill play anyone of you 2 foul/BIH and lets see what you know. Canwin.. . . talkin,chalkin,and now walkin the walk.

07-31-2002, 06:22 PM
I had a T-shirt made that says "Pool Is Chess For People With Balls"! I still have it but it fits a lot tighter than it did a few years ago!!

cheesemouse
07-31-2002, 07:36 PM
canwin,
I'm not saying that 2fouls is not a tough game; purhaps I'm saying it is too tough a game to be enjoyed and understood by the masses. I think most of us here on ccb are looking for our game of choice to become more popular with the general public so more and better pool halls will pop up and that better and more pool will be on our TV sets. I think what your suggesting is a step backwards. Even though it is a 'dead' beast, it maybe a good way to play the game in practice just to increase the use of the old brainpan. Just thinking about it for the first time in decades has completely shorted out my brain stem. LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
As far as your challenge to me and others I would have to say:" being that you've obviously somhow kept this endangered animal alive we have to compromise, we'll switch strengths, you get one foul and I get two." /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
07-31-2002, 09:31 PM
Where does one sign up for the "2 shot foul challenge"? To be honest, I didnt read those long-ass posts from canwin pontification on and on. I just wanna play "push out"... I consider myself a pool purist and would love to see "push out" return once, to just one big tournament. I know its slow but then and only then will the player with the most table management win. All balls spot, never having to deal with the bad end of a lucky shot, shooting behind the headstring at spotshots? My god I have goosebumps!!

Rod
07-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Voodoo, The thought is scary. I'd like to see that also. Like you say just once in a big tournament. Men and Women. Can you imagine?

08-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Well, you just follow the sign that says FISH FRY and look for the table that says BIG BASS and sign up. But the game Im talking about is drop all balls behind the line on a scratch,all balls stay down, and spot 1 before the nine. Just as quick as 1 foul/ball in hand. If that suits you lets roll em. I had to look up pontificate (word of the day) and its one who delivers dogmatic opinions. And I am that dog! Im honored that you would be the first to step up but not that surprised as I have read your posts. Spot all balls can get too slow so let me know. Id love to change the world but I dont know what to do...so I guess Ill play VooDoo.. .

Comin off the porch ,headin for deep water .. . .win or lose canwin

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2002, 07:52 PM
I was kinda hoping we could spot all balls made on the break if there is a scratch and low ball in the kitchen if their is a scratch...just like when I was a kid. Canwin...they can say what they want about you...your ok in my book. Bass fishing first, then 2 shot foul...does it get any better?

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Now I am confused..

Who will be fishing? and who will be too foul?

08-02-2002, 08:04 PM
cheesemouse, what do you mean by I get 1 foul and you get 2? Just curious

canwin

08-02-2002, 11:47 PM
Voodoo Daddy, Sounds good to me. Hard to think of anything better as Im in no hurry. No slow breaks ok?

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2002, 11:57 PM
Break 9-ball soft? I dont know how...HAHAHAHAHA!!

cheesemouse
08-03-2002, 04:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: canwin:</font><hr> cheesemouse, what do you mean by I get 1 foul and you get 2? Just curious

canwin
<hr></blockquote>

Like weight: I get BIH after your one foul but you don't get BIH till my second foul... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-03-2002, 06:32 AM
It felt weird to even say that. Yea and whats up with that!! Take that away and there just another player.. snifling the urge to keep it short and sweet . . . .

Q-guy
08-03-2002, 07:35 AM
I have played both ways. By the way I prefer one foul. When we used to play we played any two fouls. That meant if the guy pushed out or fouled in any way. If the incoming player also fouls it is ball in hand for the other player. This way the incoming player is in the same jeopardy as to player that pushed if they choose to take the shot. Who ever shoots is under the gun.

08-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Canwin, Good post. I agree with you completely. In my opinion it's ESPN that has ruined this fine game, with 1-foul BIH, Texas Express rules, Sardo Tight-rack, short format (race to 7) and alternating breaks. There reasoning for these changes is it speeds the game up, makes it more exciting, and levels the playing field. The only thing they've done is leveling the playing field. The best player does not always win or even end up in the money. If Earl Strickland and Charlie Williams played one-on-one all night for the cash, who do you honestly think would win? In the current format even I could be a champion, even though I don't play at the same level as Strickland, Archer, Reid, ect. During the 60's &amp; 70's I watched Reid, Lassiter, Shorty, Allen and others play without any of these rules. I have to say the games were never boring or long. In fact they were some of the finest games I've ever seen played. Unfortunately, this is all past history and the chance of 9-ball reverting back to this purer form is not likely. Jim R.

TomBrooklyn
10-03-2002, 03:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: longs:</font><hr> I had a T-shirt made that says "Pool Is Chess For People With Balls"! <hr></blockquote>"Balls" was the awnser given by Vladimir Kramnik in response to a question by a men's magazine journalist on what a world championship class chessplayer needs most of all.
-------

In the year 2000, 25 year old Kramnik defeated Garry Kasparov, the man who had been the world chess champion for 15 years and who was widely thought to be the greatest chess player of all time. Kramnik was taught to play chess by his father at the age of 4. By the age of 10 he had beaten two Grand Masters and at 11 he became one of Kasparov's elite students. At 16, he became the junior World Champion.

-------
"Chess is war over the board. The object is to crush the opponents mind." Bobby Fischer

10-03-2002, 03:24 AM
Good post, Tom, and I like your T-shirt.

Bob

bluewolf
10-03-2002, 05:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: canwin:</font><hr> 9-ball is arguably the easiest sport in the world. No other exciting sport in the world allows for the option to play it safe- agree or disagree I'd like to know everyones opinion and why. Thanks Canwin

BS. . . . bored silly <hr></blockquote>

recognizing that i am not the boss of this board (please dont call me a queen cuz that is a gay guy in gay lingo) i do have an opinion to state. i do not like it when old threads are brought up.this is the exception.i have seen this board over the weeks to go through fran bashing,scott bashing,dt getting kicked off,then talking almost exclusively usopen events and personalities and finally the infamous book thread...so finally i real pool topic i sit back and en joy reading and learning.

and a good thursday to all...i have league tonight and will try to stay relaxed so i can play well.

bw

bluewolf
10-03-2002, 05:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> 9-ball is the easiest game in the world, pool is the hardest game in the world, it is unlimited. Chess is limited.

Patrick
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>

i stayed away from 9 ball cuz i could tell it was harder than 8 ball.one thing i like about it though, no several as a weaker than some players (perspective)....1)i dont have to hit in all my ball then the eight..as long as the other player is not a run out player,i can let them hit in all the balls they wont as long as i get the nine first 2)since they have to hit the balls in order, it is easier to tie them up with safeties 3)as long as i hit the required number ball first i can knock in any other ball i want and still get another shot 4)i can carom the nine in off another ball...

that is what fascinates me...not that i can do all that but can tie up a better player real good with safes as long as they are not the run out type. lol

bw

<font color=blue>"."</font color=blue>
<hr></blockquote>

bluewolf
10-03-2002, 05:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> You can reach the highest level in chess but not in pool.
In pool you control the cueball closer and closer, 1000000th of a mm, it never ends how close you get. This is what I mean with unlimited. In chess there is a limit, because there are only so many different moves you can make, and you don't need to position anything, you move the chess piece anywhere in a square and it is in that square.

Patrick

<hr></blockquote>

imho chess is way more mental than pool but pool is way more physical than chess. i am horrible at chess but know pool strategies at least 2-3 levels above my sl. but i still have to put in the time and practice and be patient to master the physical techniques. and sometimes i think and ww thinks being ahead mentally is hurting my physical pool game, like i am thinking too much instead of just working on fundamentals and increasing my pocketing percentage. so there is a flip side to everything.

bw

rackmup
10-03-2002, 06:52 AM
There is no comparison to chess and pool.

When I get angry playing chess, perhaps because of a foolish move, I can simply flip the board over into your lap, spilling the pieces everywhere.

The last time I tried that with a Brunswick GC, I split my pants, revealing my Pokémon boxers and nearly broke my back. I had to settle for throwing a piece of chalk at the ball tray, which then broke and chalk chips ricocheted and struck me in the eye.

Pool and chess. No comparison.

Regards,

Ken

Fred Agnir
10-03-2002, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: canwin:</font><hr> 9-ball is arguably the easiest sport in the world. No other exciting sport in the world allows for the option to play it safe- agree or disagree I'd like to know everyones opinion and why. Thanks Canwin

BS. . . . bored silly <hr></blockquote>
Other than every other sport in the known universe, what other exciting sports are you talking about that doesn't allow for the option of playing safe?

It's 4th and inches on your own 30 yd. line. What do you do? Go for it or punt?

Down by 9 with 1:30 to play. Start shooting the three pointers, or go for a more fundamental shot?

Need to land the triple axle to nail down 1st place, but sure to land the double. Ask Tonya and Madori what they should've opted for.

7-10 split early. Go for split, or go for one pin? The pros seem to go for the one pin every time.

Safety and/or defense seem to be part of every sport.

Fred