PDA

View Full Version : Going from a $20 cue to a $200 Cue

steve617
10-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Years ago when I first took pool up(late 70's) I always used a 20 or 21 OZ cue and when I bought my table a few weeks ago I used the cheap $20 cue with a slip on tip. That is when I joined the messageboard and I had decided mentally I was going to try to play smarter than I did in my younger years. Today I bought my first ever good cue a Lucasi Hybrid. My choice would have been a 19 oz stick but I went with what they had and that was a 18. To me the big difference was the ease on applying english. Seems like you have to hit the cue more accurate for the ball to go were you want. Seems like it is designed for finnese play. Which in time I think will be good. Just wondering if there is any advice in getting use to the change besides practice. By the way my wife and daughter who are true beginners also got new sticks My wife got a players purple Graphite cue and my daughter got a new dragon design players cue. Thanks for any advice on the transition

9baller
10-14-2007, 04:07 AM
hi /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
i myself cant tell you,i,mm a beginer my self and this is one of the qestions i had.

pooltchr
10-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Changing from those cheap slip-on tips to a real cue does exactly what you describe. You now have a tool that will do what you ask it to do. Now it's up to you to learn how to use it. Yes, you do need to be more accurate to get the kind of spin you are looking for. The benefit is that as you become more accurate with your stroke, you will find the cue ball doing what you expect it to do.
Steve

steve617
10-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Besides playing a lot are there a good DVD or even practice drills to help improve the stroke or even improve the game. Beside wanting myself to improve I would also like to get my wifes and daughters game farther along. In just a short time of them playing they have already made a big improvement. Thanks

pooltchr
10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Steve.
The reason I became a certified billiard instructor was because when I attended the class, I immediately recognized that this was far and away the best way for someone to improve their game. I played over 30 years before I went to an instructor. I read the books, watched the videos, and I learned more in 3 days of pool school than in all the time before. I used this analogy before...you might be able to learn algebra by reading the book...but you will learn it faster and better if you have a good teacher guiding you along.
If you are serious about improvement, find a good instructor. I do special family rates...I'm sure other instructors would be willing to do the same.
Steve

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2007, 09:41 PM
"Today I bought my first ever good cue a Lucasi Hybrid"

I'd personally had everyone get a Lucasi...good construction and plays damn good. Seriously, play with the Lusaci for some tme an see if I am wrong. Chinese made, but with lots of quality and beauty for the cash. Besides, Lucasi has a lot of cosmetic models for cheap for all your girls. Dem cues "hit" for the investment! sid

KellyStick
10-15-2007, 06:25 PM
It sounds like you have not played pool for years. IF so, forget about spin. Get your shot making accuracy down. Then work on speed and cue ball control from speed. Then add some stop and follow. Then and some draw and tiny bits of english. Take it slow... No rush. Don't confuse yourself with too much too fast otherwise you get all mucked up and it becomes hard to line things out again. Now maybe you are beyond all this. I don't know. However, if your family is new be sure to teach them to take time. Follow the slow progression above otherwise you risk confusing peoples brain and the game becomes a confusing frustrating chore rather than fun.

Oh make sure you have a good bridge and reasonably straight stroke before doing any of the above stuff... Dominant eye, decent stance.... etc...

steve617
10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
I played a lot in the late 70's and early 80's as a teenager. My daughter who is 15 had the opportunity to play and really liked it. We all spent a weekend in a cabin were they had a table. (That was labor day weekend). We have had our new table now for about 3 weeks. I was only a decent player and I feel I am almost as good as I was back then. Having my own table I or we spend about 1.5 hours a day playing at least 5 or 6 days a week. Longer on weekends. They are improving but their problem is hitting center. Tonight I decided to get them just to hit the cue ball across the width of the table from the side dots. Just to try to get them to shoot straight. I think the first step like you mentioned is hitting the ball straight and making shots. Seems like my daughters stroke is hesitant and not smooth. Maybe getting them to slow down will help. I am going to call the local instructor and see if they can get a combine lesson on their stroke and aimimg. I think all of us going to a better stick is a adjustment. I told them the new sticks are less forgiving and they need to concentrate on the center.

Thanks for the advice. It is well taken.

Casey
10-31-2007, 10:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> when I bought my table a few weeks ago <hr /></blockquote>

Steve, just totally out of curiosity, what table did you decide to buy?

Casey
11-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Nevermind Steve, I found the answer in another post....Looks like you got yourself a deal.