PDA

View Full Version : The shrinking table

dutchboy
10-15-2007, 08:16 AM
There's times I practice more than others which I'm sure is true of all of us, something interesting has been happening of late, particularly after several days of long sessions, the table itself seems to be getting smaller and the pockets larger...I have a gold crown 9ft. It's not that I don't still miss shots of course but there are days when it just doesn't seem possible that I could. The 7 and 8 ft. shots look like hangers, {well, they just look that way} the pockets are like baskets {I have 4 1/2 with a good tight cut.} It's interesting, pool seems to be a skill of diminishing returns, take a break for a while and the table looks like a football field. What do you think it is? Vision? Situational awareness? Confidence, or maybe acclimation? Just makes me wonder how the table looks to say Earl or Ralf or Johnny...haven't read any posts on this, might be a interesting discussion. Do you notice the switch, at what point in practice does it happen or is a "zone" thing that comes and goes?

okinawa77
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I have also noticed this. I usually play on a 9ft table with quad shim pockets.

When I go to an 8ft table, it seems like kiddie pool.

Sometimes before a match on a 9 footer, I'll practice on a 10ft Billiards/Carom table. During my match on the 9ft table, it just seems so easy.

I can't explain why.

Of course, going from a 7ft table to a 9ft table....now it seems like the balls are a mile away and I need binoculars to see the balls at the end of the table.

I have also noticed that going from larger balls (like Carom balls) to smaller balls (Snooker or American pocket balls)....there is a similiar phenomenon as well.
In my experience, going from the larger Carom balls to the smaller American Pocket Balls, makes it seem easier to play with the smaller balls.

Of course, after a while of shooting, I get used to the environment, and things return to normal.

SKennedy
10-15-2007, 02:23 PM
In my younger days when I use to play a lot, I would spend 1 hour a week on the snooker table. It always helped my game. I didn't spend more time on the snooker table as I was afraid it would hurt more than help.

Fran Crimi
10-15-2007, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr> There's times I practice more than others which I'm sure is true of all of us, something interesting has been happening of late, particularly after several days of long sessions, the table itself seems to be getting smaller and the pockets larger...I have a gold crown 9ft. It's not that I don't still miss shots of course but there are days when it just doesn't seem possible that I could. The 7 and 8 ft. shots look like hangers, {well, they just look that way} the pockets are like baskets {I have 4 1/2 with a good tight cut.} It's interesting, pool seems to be a skill of diminishing returns, take a break for a while and the table looks like a football field. What do you think it is? Vision? Situational awareness? Confidence, or maybe acclimation? Just makes me wonder how the table looks to say Earl or Ralf or Johnny...haven't read any posts on this, might be a interesting discussion. Do you notice the switch, at what point in practice does it happen or is a "zone" thing that comes and goes? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I've experienced it too. I'm pretty sure I know what it is and I'm also pretty sure I know what triggers it.

We can focus either internally or externally while performing a task. When we focus internally, we are engrossed in our thoughts about ourselves and how we are feeling about what we're doing. When we focus externally, our focus is strictly on our external environment.

As our confidence grows, we allow ourselves to focus more externally and gradually start to let go of our internal distractions, such as all that mind chatter we do when we're feeling insecure.

So, bascially, when the pockets look bigger and everything appears clear, we are focusing more externally than on how we are feeling internally. That's when we do our best playing. I guarantee it.

I didn't make this internal vs. external focus stuff up. It's in sports psychology books. I just applied it to pool.

Fran

KellyStick
10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
One irritating thing I have noticed going from a big table to a small one is how crowded things can be. I find it annoying. So big is good in more ways than one.

When you are in stroke it is not so much that the pockets seem bigger. Though I see how this could be the perception. IT's more like your accuracy seems to be greater. THere is a difference between aiming to make something in a pocket vs aiming to miss that interfering ball that has cut you pocket way down to size and figuring that you still have plenty of room plus can put that extra english on the ball to get position. AND "Knowing" that it is all gonna work just like you see it.

Margin of error required to make a shot confidently shrinks ever smaller.

bignick31985
10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I love the 9ft table. And going back to a 7 is just unreal. Almost think to myself...so how the hell do I get the balls to break up? There is nowhere for them to go, lol.