PDA

View Full Version : '07 US Open winner?

Eric.
10-16-2007, 08:41 AM
OK, this is just goofing around, don't give me grief for picking one champion out of a field of champion contenders... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, who do you think is gonna win this year? Repeat winner? Young gun or "ol school" player? Someone from the US? Europe? Asia?

I'm gonna pick Shane Van Boening, USA, to come out on top. He's been playing phenomenal, beating tough competition and has a ton of momentum.

Eric

Deeman3
10-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Shane may be a good pick. I think John Schmidt has not been playing all that well as of late. I will guess that one of the Philopinos might get hot, maybe Fransco. Just a guess.

Fran Crimi
10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Tony Robles has been playing great lately. I'd like to see him win.

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
10-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I would like to see Tony Robles win, but Shane is playing very good this year. Although it would be fun to see an old timer like Buddy Hall or Hopkins win.

DG - leaving Thursday morning for the Open

DSAPOLIS
10-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Well, seeing that Fast Larry has sat this one out... I'll pick either Earl Strickland or Ronnie Alcano.

MosconiJr
10-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm picking dark horse Stevie Moore...............

MJr

Deeman3
10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MosconiJr:</font><hr> I'm picking dark horse Stevie Moore...............

MJr <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Good choice, he's playing really well. </font color>

SPetty
10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think John Schmidt has not been playing all that well as of late. <hr /></blockquote>The same John Schmidt who ran 403 with his brand new OB-1 cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif last Saturday?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=76696

Deeman3
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think John Schmidt has not been playing all that well as of late. <hr /></blockquote>The same John Schmidt who ran 403 with his brand new OB-1 cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif last Saturday?

<font color="blue"> Perhaps /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif But I was not aware that he had become Mr. 400 a second time!

I had seen him play and played against him a couple of times over the last two months and he did not seem to be playing that well. I guess either he has "pumped up" his game for the Open or I was mistaken in the way I saw him playing. I really like John and hope he does well but had just seem him not do as well as he had in the past.

I was not trying to jinx him or degrade his play. Just because I made the comment may make him a lock to repeat. When he plays well, he is as good as anyone. </font color>

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=76696
<hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
10-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Although you can't count out John Schmidt, Shane is playing awsome. Also, Lee Van Corteza (sp) makes the game look very easy.

DSAPOLIS
10-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Dee

When John isn't playing well like that... that is when he becomes the most dangerous player on the planet. It's just a cycle that his mind takes - I don't understand it either - one day he's struggling like the rest of us, the next day he's shooting like a man possessed. That's just John Schmidt for ya! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I would love to see several of them win, but one that sticks out for me is Jose Parica. I wish he'd win. He got so close 2 years ago.

Eric.
10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> Dee

When John isn't playing well like that... that is when he becomes the most dangerous player on the planet. It's just a cycle that his mind takes - I don't understand it either - one day he's struggling like the rest of us, the next day he's shooting like a man possessed. That's just John Schmidt for ya! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that a trait all true champions have?

I was talking to T. Robles just before the World 14.1 event and he mentioned that he was trying to help T. Hohmann a lil cuz he was frustrated with his game. Well, if Hohmann was struggling, it sure didn't show a few days later. He played phenomenal and just missed winning the tournament.

Eric

Deeman3
10-17-2007, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> Dee

When John isn't playing well like that... that is when he becomes the most dangerous player on the planet. It's just a cycle that his mind takes - I don't understand it either - one day he's struggling like the rest of us, the next day he's shooting like a man possessed. That's just John Schmidt for ya! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> David,

Wolfdancer was telling me that John was just trying to lure me in by playing poorly. Firstly, I'm not stupid enough to think the current U.S. Open champion is any kind of easy, even on an off day and secondly, the ultimate money the tournament we were playing in was $500 (which he got) and I'm not sure that was enough to make him focus.

I agree with you. He does seem to lose a little focus for a bit, but pity the guy who thinks he can't come on like gangbusters at any moment. Wow, of course, I can't imagine running 400 but what are the odds that his next high run would be only 3 balls more. As great as his accomplishment was, he must have really felt bad that he didn't break off another 97!

By the way, love your 9 ball book. Everyone should get a copy. I can't wait for the straight pool version.</font color>

DSAPOLIS
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks Dee,

Balabushka's Nickel ain't a bad read either!

Deeman3
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate that coming from you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Rodney Morris or Alex Pagulyen. One of them will win it all.

Snapshot9
10-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Well, James Walden gave John Schmidt a 11-1 drubbing, and Alex also got beat. If Shane VB won this, it would solidify him as a world class player for years to come. He does have the tide with him currently, but can he beat the Filapinos, not just 1, but probably 3 or 4 in a row. It almost seems like it is a lone American against a 'team' of Filapinos sometimes.

Van Van could be a good candidate to win this also, but you can never forget Efren.

Eric.
10-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I think Fran might be right; Tony Robles is playing great, from what I hear. Maybe it's his time, I know Tony has mentioned to me recently that he "has been playing the best Pool of my life".

Eric

Deeman3
10-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Eric,

What a great call by you. Say, wanna weigh in on any future outcomes? I'll be listening. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Eric,

What a great call by you. Say, wanna weigh in on any future outcomes? I'll be listening. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

FWIW, Blackjack picked Ronnie Alcano to win it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric &gt;has a Magic 8 ball for answers