PDA

View Full Version : Which New Cue?

ToughBreak
10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I am new to your forum and am seeking advice on a new cue. I have had a lot of experience shooting pool in my youth and reached an intermediate level however that was 25 years ago. I recently went on vacation and rented a house with a seven foot table and shot with my son for a week. The old fire was awakened and I am looking at an 8 foot Olhausen table to install in my home. Here is the catch. When I shot years ago I used the house cues or borrowed custom cues from friends. I want to start back on the right foot and purchase a quality cue. I have narrowed it down to two cues. The first is a Lucasi LE18 and the other a 5280 ELE06. Do any of you forum members shoot these sticks and if so what is the difference in their characteristics. What can I expect from them in how they shoot. Thanks for your attention to this and any comments would be appreciated.
ToughBreak

okinawa77
10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
If I had to choose between the Lucasi and the 5280, I would choose the Lucasi. They are both decent cues, but I am not familiar with the Tiger-Red Line tips (made with pig skin) on the 5280s. The Lucasi comes with a Triangle tip which is what McDermott uses now.

ToughBreak
10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the information. According to 5280, the Redline tip plays like a Tiger Everest in fact I think that Tiger makes the tips for 5280 as they mention the "Vaculam" laminating process in their advertisements. Also, 5280 claims they turn their cues 11 times in their manufacturing process. Would this mean they would tend to be more straight than other cues who do not turn them as often? How does Lucasi make their cues and how are they for quality? I know these are a lot of questions but I have searched the Internet to no avail. I really appreciate your input.
ToughBreak

1Time
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ToughBreak:</font><hr> Thanks for the information. According to 5280, the Redline tip plays like a Tiger Everest in fact I think that Tiger makes the tips for 5280 as they mention the "Vaculam" laminating process in their advertisements. Also, 5280 claims they turn their cues 11 times in their manufacturing process. Would this mean they would tend to be more straight than other cues who do not turn them as often? How does Lucasi make their cues and how are they for quality? I know these are a lot of questions but I have searched the Internet to no avail. I really appreciate your input.
ToughBreak <hr /></blockquote>

How many times the cue is turned helps ensure a cue will be and stay straight, but so does how often the cue is turned, and so can the other manufacturing processes. The less frequent the cue is turned, the better. Lucasi uses a few different manufacturing processes that are described in listings for Lucasi cues on eBay. Just search "Lucasi cue". Here's one. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Lucasi-L-H40-Hybrid-Silver-FREE-SHIP-2x2-Case-Xtras_W0QQitemZ280162817559QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6212 9QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem). I've only read high praise and recommendations for Lucasi cues, and from how their manufacturing process is described, their cues seem to be of high quality.

However, I certainly would not let that be my primary reason for buying a Lucasi. I would much prefer having a cue that plays well for me and regardless of how it is made or advertised. Of course I'd want a straight cue, but that's what warranties are for. Cue makers with good warranties don't stay in business by making cues what warp. And the last thing I'd want is a cue I don't shoot as well with as another. Ideally, one would try all the various cues out there within one's budget and with all the various tips and find what works the best. In practice, however, it's best to at least shoot with the cue before buying it, and preferably compare it to how some other cues shoot for you.

cjt08046
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
1Time's suggestion to shoot with the cues you want (if possible) or, failing that, shoot with several others, is the best advice. You'd be surprised how a cue you may not have considered before for one reason or another actually feels much, much better to you than other, sometimes more expensive, cues.

ToughBreak
10-17-2007, 07:53 PM
1Time
Of course you are right and your response to my questions makes perfect sense. There is only one billiard supply store in my area (I live in Montana) so my choice of cues to try is very limited (most businesses in this state do not stock much inventory) but perhaps I can find a way around this. Thanks to you for your response and the others who chose to take the time to help me out. It is appreciated.
ToughBreak