PDA

View Full Version : Your rules on golf (pool)

PastPrime
07-28-2002, 08:23 PM
I enjoy all games but have been working on the game of golf for many years, tho interupted at times. We play with regulation pool balls on a 5x10 and a 6x12 table with both tables having 3 1/2" pockets. We play with between two to six players. More players in the games just take too much time to complete the game. We start with the cue ball on the kitchen center spot and our own object ball on the head spot. Our 1st pocket is the lower right pocket behind the cue ball, the 2nd is the next short rail pocket, the 3rd is the side pocket, etc. until six holes have been made. Each player by turn lags the 1st hole unless a player makes the first hole on the lag then they respot their object ball and shoot towards the 2nd hole. If they make this, they continue until they win or miss. If they miss then the next player in turn has his shot. If a player fouls by not hitting a rail during the shot either before the object ball is hit or after, missing his ball, jumping off the table, scratching, or knocking his ball in the wrong pocket, or knocking some other ball in any pocket he then has to take a "hicky" which has a designated value to be paid at the end of the game and his ball is removed from the table until his next turn. He then shoots at the last hole he had been shooting at. If however, he hits someone else's ball directly (including banks or kicks) with the cue ball, that costs him two hickys, his ball comes off the table, and he goes back one hole from where he was. The player that has been hit has to leave his ball wherever it was hit but he cannot be aimed at directly or a loss of game can be called. If a player deliberately hits someone's ball directly when that person is for the 6th or "out hole" he is penalized loss of game automatically as well as two hickys and has to sit out the rest of the game. A player however can knock any competitors ball out of any position with either his own object ball or the cue ball after he has contacted his own object ball and there is no penalty. In fact, in our games if you don't take someone out who is in a dangerous position to the table, you may not be allowed to play in the future! It's a very cuttroat but team type of game. However, if you make a competitor's ball in his designated pocket then he gets credit for it, you get a hicky and your ball comes off the table.
I know a lot of areas play differently and am curious as to your own "customs". Also, I find that the best shooters don't win nearly as many games as the people with the best control of both the cue ball and the object ball. Probably, because of the larger ball and tight pockets. Our normal games are for $5 a player and $.25 a hicky for 2-3 people and $10 and $1 for 4-6 players. However, all of us have played $50 or $100 games when the blood warms up. Anyway, I'm curious as to local differences. How do you play?

Troy
07-28-2002, 08:46 PM
I've played with "American" Snooker balls, 2 1/8".
I'm going to try to highlight some differences ---

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PastPrime:</font><hr> I enjoy all games but have been working on the game of golf for many years, tho interupted at times. We play with regulation pool balls on a 5x10 and a 6x12 (6x12) table with both tables having 3 1/2" pockets. We play with between two to six players. More players in the games just take too much time to complete the game. We start with the cue ball on the kitchen center spot and our own object ball on the head spot (anywhere inside the "D"). Our 1st pocket is the lower right pocket behind the cue ball, the 2nd is the next short rail pocket, the 3rd is the side pocket, etc. until six holes have been made. Each player by turn lags the 1st hole unless a player makes the first hole on the lag then they respot their object ball and shoot towards the 2nd hole. If they make this, they continue until they win or miss. If they miss then the next player in turn has his shot. If a player fouls by not hitting a rail during the shot either before the object ball is hit or after, missing his ball, jumping off the table, scratching, or knocking his ball in the wrong pocket, or knocking some other ball in any pocket he then has to take a "hicky" which has a designated value to be paid at the end of the game and his ball is removed from the table until his next turn. He then shoots at the last hole he had been shooting at. If however, he hits someone else's ball directly (including banks or kicks) with the cue ball, that costs him two (one) hickys, his ball comes off the table, and he goes back (to the same hole) one hole from where he was. The player that has been hit has to leave his ball wherever it was hit but (not with loss of game however) he cannot be aimed at directly or a loss of game can be called. (Played without the following rule.) If a player deliberately hits someone's ball directly when that person is for the 6th or "out hole" he is penalized loss of game automatically as well as two hickys and has to sit out the rest of the game. A player however can knock any competitors ball out of any position with either his own object ball or the cue ball after he has contacted his own object ball and there is no penalty. In fact, in our games if you don't take someone out who is in a dangerous position to the table, you may not be allowed to play in the future! (If you are responsible for letting him succeed on the 6 hole, you pay double.) It's a very cuttroat but team type of game. However, if you make a competitor's ball in his designated pocket then he gets credit for it, you get a hicky and your ball comes off the table.
I know a lot of areas play differently and am curious as to your own "customs". Also, I find that the best shooters don't win nearly as many games as the people with the best control of both the cue ball and the object ball. Probably, because of the larger ball and tight pockets. Our normal games are for $5 a player and $.25 a hicky for 2-3 people and $10 and $1 for 4-6 players. ($10 &amp; $1 is most common.) However, all of us have played $50 or $100 games when the blood warms up. Anyway, I'm curious as to local differences. How do you play? <hr></blockquote>

stickman
07-28-2002, 09:22 PM
We played the same rules as Troy on a 5x10. $2.50 per game and $.25 per hickey. The pool hall got rid of the 5x10 table and we haven't played since. I really liked the game.

Rod
07-28-2002, 11:39 PM
The same rules here Troy. One other exception, I've played it both ways. If you can not see your ball it does not come off the table. Usually it's played it comes off.

PastPrime
07-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks Troy, I'm going down to Hardtimes in Bellflower this week and play the big boys so wanted to get a feel for possible different methods of playing. I understand they have some large games and I'd like to see how I measure up. Will play two days so that should give me an idea of my weekpoints. LOL.

07-29-2002, 11:49 AM
In canada we play golf like this..... usually we use snooker sized pool balls first pocket is the left corner behind the D second is the side pocket on that side etc.... we usually have skittles on the yellow,green,brown,blue and pink spots the black spot is for respotting OB's.... the blue skittle is the most expensive one if you hit it... usually 5 strokes (ill explain that in a sec) all other skittles are 3 strokes... the way we payout is like this... winner gets paid from everyone...2nd place gets paid by everyone except winner because second place pays the winner...3rd place gets paid by everyone except 1st and 2nd...etc... we keep score in strokes.... cheap games are for a dime a stroke.... buck a stroke games can kill ya if you come last.......after the 1st person gets in on a hole... everyone gets one free shot to try and get in.... after that every shot taken by counts as a stroke unless there is a fould committed fouls are generally 3 strokes... not hitting a rail is a foul...pocketing your B is a foul... pocketing another players ball is a foul (but if you pocketed his ball in the "live" hole his ball counts as IN knocking over a skittle is a foul all are worth 3 except for center which is 5.... hitting another players ball before hitting your own is a foul.... lets say for example i was trying to nudge my ball towards a hole.... i clip a skittle with my OB (or CB) knocking it down my ob goes on to nudge my opponents ball into the pocket and none of my balls gets a rail...3 strokes for skittle...3 strokes potting opponents ball....3 strokes for no rail and 1 stroke if one of the players is in already....total strokes = 10....now if you are in first place it costs you ten strokes off of your lead but if you are in last place say playing with 5 people it actually costs you 40 of whatever amount you are playing for.. dimes = 4 bucks can add up quite a bit over the 6 holes....

most people will pick on the guy whos winning and try and help out the overall loser a bit.... generally you will try and block the pocket from someone else trying to go in....and you like to try and PLUG the pocket with your cbon the shot that you go in with... if you have a shot that you feel is impossible to make you can pickup your ball for a 3 stroke penalty.... beats going for it and taking 15 (highest I ever saw was 18 on one shot) if you foul...your balls stay where they are untill your next turn then you respot...... if you like this way and want to know more send me a msg ill try and answer your questions

PastPrime
07-29-2002, 06:31 PM
I practiced some with the snooker balls today on the 6x12 and was pleasantly suprised by how easy it was to make the balls...but I was totally dismayed by the distance I was short on 2-3-4 rail shots and forget 5 rails! This is actually the first time I've used snooker balls while playing golf...what a difference. Your game sounds very tough and a good action game but I could see how a USA tourist could develop empty pockets until he could get some experience. I really like the idea where everyone pays the winner then lower finishers pay the people above them. I think I'll try to introduce that into our games. More action means more interest from the young guns. I spent last September in Canada from the Thunder Bay area to Niagara Falls. Totally beautiful! Next time I'll have to sample some of your local tables. Thanks for your presentation.

07-30-2002, 03:10 AM
sure thing...... just start off with dimes ..not too damaging that way.... i think 30 bucks might be about the most someone loses