PDA

View Full Version : Learning to aim. Need advice.

steve617
10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
My wife who is just taken up pool is having a hard time aiming. She does good on close shots but even has a hard time just shooting the cue ball from one corner to the diagonal corner. We have been practicing some drills on hitting the center of the cue ball which she has greatly improved and she is shooting from the correct eye. Her main problem seems to be alignment. Thanks for any suggestions. I am calling a local instructor tonight.

Thanks

Deeman3
10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Steve,

The instructor is probaly a very good idea. Alignment is a very difficult thing to learn and become comfortable with. However, good instruction will help from the get go. You are wise to get her help.

For people who have shot a while, if you don't shoot the opposite hand, try doing so and you'll get a feel for how beginners feel with the alignment and stroke in general. I didn't come up with this but may have gotten it from one of our friends here on the CCB. It really does let you see how difficult it is for a person new to the game.

Good luck.

KellyStick
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
This will be of no help other than getting a good instructor is probably a good move.

I was blessed with a good deal of natural aiming ability. I can see some basic things about peoples eye position, bridge stability, ball contact point, how they hold the cue, body and head position and stroke that can be useful to help them with aim but....

For some people, I can't for the life of me understand why aiming can be so hard. Go with a good instructor and have patience. For some people this seems to be a real struggle. For some it seems it can literally take years???

1Time
10-17-2007, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> My wife who is just taken up pool is having a hard time aiming. She does good on close shots but even has a hard time just shooting the cue ball from one corner to the diagonal corner. We have been practicing some drills on hitting the center of the cue ball which she has greatly improved and she is shooting from the correct eye. Her main problem seems to be alignment. Thanks for any suggestions. I am calling a local instructor tonight.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

Limit her fun to shooting really short shots, no longer than the short rail. Keep setting up balls in the pockets to knock in. Once being successful at this, challenge her to hit on one or the other side of the object ball when pocketing it. Positive reinforcement is more important than shooting long shots at this point. Proper mechanics are needed before better aiming will help. The instructor would be the best to handle this. Of course it can't hurt to post back if any concerns with subsequent progress or with the instructor.

Bob_Jewett
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> My wife who is just taken up pool is having a hard time aiming. ... Her main problem seems to be alignment. ... <hr /></blockquote>
It sounds like she doesn't see where the stick is pointed. How low is she over the shot? How does she do in the "over the spots" drill? (Shoot the cue ball straight up the center of the table with no other ball on the table.)

steve617
10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
She gets lower than she was. Have not done the over the spot drill but will. She shot about 45 mins today by herself on 9 ball said she had a 3 ball and a 4 ball run. I think with more time she will get it. I told her the first thing she has to learn is to hit the center of the cue ball. She also needs to take just a little power off. (at least my opinion).

On another note I called the instructor and she wants me call her Monday she did not have her schedule with her and they may be able to have a lesson with her wednesday.

KAM007
10-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Baby steps. You have to learn to crawl before you can run, balls that is. You mentioned that IYO, she may need to take some power off. When I find myself shooting too hard I remember words from Willie Mosconi, only shoot hard enough to make the ball to the pocket. A drill that helps me is what I call 5 shot out. To set up this drill you position a ball in the jaws of each corner pocket, then position a ball in the jaws of the 2 side pockets. Place a ball on the head string and one on the foot string. Place a ball in between the head string ball and the corner pocket ball directly across from the second diamond. Place a ball in the same manner on the opposite side of the head string ball so that you have basically have 3 balls ( including the head string ball) lined up for the corner pocket. Then repeat this process at the foot string. After setting the balls up as decribed above you should have 3 balls left.
Take the remaining 3 balls and position them across the middle of the table, lined up as if you were going to shoot them into the side pockets. (line them up at an equal distance apart)

Take the cue ball in hand and place it anywhere on the table, start where ever you like. You have 5 misses. If you miss, you have to start over. ( starting over means you have to set the drill back up)

This drill helps to teach cue ball and speed control. An added plus is that you do not need an opponent to practice. The goal is to try to make all the balls with the least amount of misses. Enjoy!

DeadCrab
10-18-2007, 08:20 AM
This may sound ridiculous, but are you sure she is shooting with the proper hand?

When I was showing my son something, his stroke suddenly deteriorated. The problem turned out to be that in imitating what I did, he switched from shooting right handed to left (like me).

Can't hurt to put the cue in the other hand and see what happens.

Derek
10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
My opinion as I know I didn't do this when I first started out, but in the final stroke:

Eyes on the object ball
Pause in the back stroke
Follow that cue through

Certainly, there are plenty of other factors that come into play with alignment, such as the dreaded "chicken wing" or the uncomfortable bridge hand.

steve617
10-18-2007, 03:09 PM
She is a true left hander. She is also left eyed dominant. I think she just needs to play more. I will get her to keep doing the drills. That is good advice on the pause and follow through.

Thanks

Derek
10-18-2007, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> She is a true left hander. She is also left eyed dominant. I think she just needs to play more. I will get her to keep doing the drills. That is good advice on the pause and follow through.

I think the pause is tricky to learn, especially if you have been playing for years. I have started incorporating it lately and it does help me at least. I would think getting a beginner player to start using the technique would be advantageous versus learning it later on.

Everyone has there own style though. I've tried studying pros on tape or TV when I can and it seems a lot of them do pause on the last backstroke. Some are more pronounced than others in the time they hold that pause. I think Alison Fisher is the best example to watch on the pause. Maybe Niels Feijen also?

dr_dave
10-19-2007, 08:25 AM
FYI, there are lots of aiming resources and advice under "aiming" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html) and under "drills" and "summaries" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/index.html).

Good luck with the learning and teaching process.

Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> My wife who is just taken up pool is having a hard time aiming. She does good on close shots but even has a hard time just shooting the cue ball from one corner to the diagonal corner. We have been practicing some drills on hitting the center of the cue ball which she has greatly improved and she is shooting from the correct eye. Her main problem seems to be alignment. Thanks for any suggestions. I am calling a local instructor tonight.

Jager85
10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
A couple things I have been taught to help with aiming is fundamentals. How is her stance? Work on the stance and keeping all of you body in line with your center of mass and this can help. Also, rather than being left eye dominant I was taught it is much better to have no dominant eye. If she can get comforatable seeing te path with both eyes this will help with aiming as well.

A routine I follow for my stance is stand the distance away from the table to where your back foot will be and step into the cue ball with your lead foot. It is easier shown and hard to put into words ut if you cn make sense out of what I just said give it a try.

SPetty
10-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Just one more thing to consider - you said that her main problem seems to be alignment, so everyone glommed onto that. However, some people, especially beginners, don't understand the basic ghost ball aiming mechanism, and how the ball has to be aimed a little differently than directly at the contact point. From longer distances, that may make big difference. Make sure she understands the ghost ball aiming mechanism.

craigstevens
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Tell her the truth, if she plays every day, makes 200 balls, she will know how to aim, 14 years from now. The game does not get easy until you pot one million balls. Only then do you see the cuts and angles and aiming is no longer used or done, you then just see the shot naturally.

dr_dave
10-19-2007, 05:00 PM
FYI to the original poster (and others), I have a new handout and drill (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/ghost_ball_aiming.pdf) for this posted here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/index.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Just one more thing to consider - you said that her main problem seems to be alignment, so everyone glommed onto that. However, some people, especially beginners, don't understand the basic ghost ball aiming mechanism, and how the ball has to be aimed a little differently than directly at the contact point. From longer distances, that may make big difference. Make sure she understands the ghost ball aiming mechanism. <hr /></blockquote>

craigstevens
10-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh man, sorry about that, guess what, the ghost ball aiming system, does not work, and any body teaching it, does not know S***.

You can't teach it unless you also teach, and explain, throw and cling. Nobody does that, because few know what they are.
Set up a 30 degree cut, set up the ghost ball to hit the OB in the center of the pocket no Enlgish, center ball hit. The OB does not go into the center, cling pots it a half pocket right of center. That is why the system breaks down.

And what if it rains out side, moisture kills all throw.
Of course the good doctor knows all of that. It is a flawed system that does not work and you all bought into it. It gets even worse, a top instructor came up with it?
Oh Vey, Sigel in the BD mag, said there is no such thing as throw. These are the guys teaching you pool?

dr_dave
10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Good points.

However, the ghost-ball system is still a good initial frame of reference. Aim adjustments for squirt, swerve, and throw (CIT or SIT) must be made for different types of shots and conditions; but this is a little advanced for novice players.

FYI, I have a English quick-reference sheet (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/English_quick_reference.pdf) with info and videos to help people understand the basics of English and aim adjustment. I also have many articles (http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/index.html) that cover these topics in greater detail.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> Oh man, sorry about that, guess what, the ghost ball aiming system, does not work, and any body teaching it, does not know S***.

You can't teach it unless you also teach, and explain, throw and cling. Nobody does that, because few know what they are.
Set up a 30 degree cut, set up the ghost ball to hit the OB in the center of the pocket no Enlgish, center ball hit. The OB does not go into the center, cling pots it a half pocket right of center. That is why the system breaks down.

And what if it rains out side, moisture kills all throw.<hr /></blockquote>

pooltchr
10-19-2007, 07:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

Obviously, you weren't in the class Randy and I were teaching today. We covered throw, squirt, and several other topics. To make a comment that nobody teaches something because nobody knows it, only shows that you don't know what you are talking about.
Believe it or not, there are some people out in the world who do know and teach things that even you may not know.
Steve

craigstevens
10-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

pooltchr
10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Thank you, FL!

dr_dave
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
You seem to have lots of good knowledge and opinions. However, not many people will respond to your posts if you continue to be so disrespectful, inappropriate, uninformed, accusatory, and rude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You obviously read Mike Sigel's infamous "throw doesn't exist" articles (I assume you did, anyway), but did you read Bob Jewett's "throw does exist" articles in the same timeframe? His articles can be found here (http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html).

Also, have you seen my year-long article series dealing with throw (http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/index.html)? How about all of the past recent posts and debates concerning throw on this forum (see some of the highlight links under "throw" and "English" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html))?

Regards,
Dave

PS: You won't make many friends on this forum if you continue to try to insult respected and knowledgable contributors like Steve (pooltchr).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> Pool chr, put a sock in yo pie hole and you may learn something new here today, which will probably be a first for you. Maybe I have forgotten more than you could learn in the next 20? You never learn anything new trying to tell me how great you are dude.

You people are teaching pool wrong and my mission is to show you the error of your ways so you will stop screwing players up for me to repair after you ruin them.

You go into the Byrne book and he tells you there is throw and deflection and cling, then he teaches the ghost ball method with out cling being in there, which means he never had the smarts to connect all 3 together, and most of you, just copied his mistake. Mike Sigel tells you in
BD there is no such thing as throw, the one’s who know, chuckled, I wonder how good Mike could have been if somebody had taught him throw?
You are surrounded by guys like Mike feeding you false and incorrect teaching methods.

Ah so the good doctor agree with me. We are getting somewhere.
You are concerned about me being too technical here. Sir, do you realize your are the grand master guru of technical, that 99% of the stuff you put in BD, goes over the heads of your reader, they don’t have a clue what you are saying, they just think you are smart because you can treat them like a mushroom, keep them in the dark and feed them BS.
I think the way to teach is KISS… Keep it simple stupid. Physics makes an easy game, hard.
Okie dokie I open your link and bingo:
English quick-reference sheet.
The 2nd one down, the far left green diagram shows me to hit center cue ball and the OB goes off straight, 90% angle, and that is wrong, cling will pull it left of that angle, so even the good doctor is teaching it wrong as well. Wake up boys; you are all wet on this one. If you ever shot, or mastered a simple 2in2 trick shot, you would know this principle. You can not make trick shots with out allowing for these clings.
Then it comes down to how you teach a beginner. You are saying teach him a flawed system that does not work so he can go out and miss cuts for years and when he hits total frustration he comes to me and I explain it all to him? I then teach it right. That is what you are all doing. Are you not selling them short, rating their intelligence too low, or their abilities to grasp a simple concept? Just because they do not wear beards, does not mean they can not learn what cling is. Most of these Bubbas can tear down a motor and put it back together so they are very smart on a lot of things. I have yet to find one so far, that could not grasp and repeat back to me how throw, deflection and cling worked, when I taught it using lasers so they could visually see it.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3EIUo4PGQc3QcqA3YIUo3YaMc4kGQc3kGhg@

http://cuetable.com/P/index.html

I teach them deflection, then throw, and how dirty balls throw more than clean ones do, and moisture removes all throw. Once they have that, I then teach them cling, which should be taught with the cut. I use the elephant ball and the plastic aim device and show them with center ball, the 5 pots right of that center pocket aim line, so you must over cut to hit that line. Running English because of throw, eliminates the cling so where you aim, you hit. Inside, reverse check, has two problems, you cling right, you throw right, so you have to almost double over cut. I make them keep shooting this simple shot in sets of 10, first center ball, then running, then reverse. They must keep doing it until they can pot at least 70-80% on all three, then they know the shot. I tell them, to expect at least 500 to 1000 shots for that to occur. That is how, it should be taught. IMHO&gt;

All truth passes through 3 stages. First it is ridiculed, which you are doing now. Second is it violently opposed, which you shall move into on your next post? Then it will be accepted as self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer, 1788.
You dear sir, Mister pool chr chump,will never evolve to that 3rd stage, as long as you keep letting others, tell you what, or how to teach, and do not question why or what they do, or learn how to think on your own.

The way you all work here is the same; it’s been going on for years. You always revert into gang mentality, and the gang then goes on a lynching party. Dudes, you do not hang your messenger, instead hang the ones who have been teaching you wrong and screwing you up. You are like the Catholic church, when you hear anything new or different, or for God's sake, says you don't know, are doing it wrong, teaching it wrong, could be wrong, may be wrong, you do not explore it, you yell out to Pilate, give us Barabbas, nail Jesus to the cross. You yell out, ban the heretic, then all is well and we no longer have to see or hear his heresy. Excommunicate him from CCB…You never bother to stop and prove, he is a heretic, you just condemn him with out a trial. Once he is gone and can no longer defend him self, then the yellow bellied backstabbing cowards come crawling from under their rocks to degrade and make fun of the defiled and exiled heretic. That is the fun part for you all. Throwing mud on the innocent one, the one who was correct. The one’s who did not have the balls to confront him when he could tear them to shreds and make them look like the asses they are, of course, are the first one’s to cast the first stone.
Ah so, Then all is well, you can all go back to telling each other, what you all already know and all agree on, but you foster incest, your gene pool rots, because of no infusion of new blood or concepts or ideas.
You’all chew on that one for a while?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Scott Lee
10-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Good grief Dave! Surely you have been on here long enough to recognize Fast Larry's style of patter and banter!/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Nobody knows what he knows...and he is the ONLY person who can teach pool! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey Larry...where are all these people who's game you've repaired? How come none of them post on any of the forums...and certainly none of them singing your praises? LOL

Scott Lee

dr_dave
10-22-2007, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Good grief Dave! Surely you have been on here long enough to recognize Fast Larry's style of patter and banter!/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Nobody knows what he knows...and he is the ONLY person who can teach pool! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey Larry...where are all these people who's game you've repaired? How come none of them post on any of the forums...and certainly none of them singing your praises? LOL

Scott Lee<hr /></blockquote>Scott,

Maybe you are right. The post does seem Fast-Larry-like. Although, I never remember Fast Larry having good ideas mixed in with his offensive slander.

Regards,
Dave

Deeman3
10-22-2007, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Good grief Dave! Surely you have been on here long enough to recognize Fast Larry's style of patter and banter!/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Nobody knows what he knows...and he is the ONLY person who can teach pool! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Scott:

I thought F/L was hiding from me. Do you think he has rethought his position on that challenge match? Last thing I knew, he was slinking away....slithering away? </font color>

craigstevens
10-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Why don't you ask Larry these questions instead of me?
Call the guy up and ask him, go bum a dime? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

craigstevens
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

Deeman3
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
and we were just starting to warm to your splendid personality and thoughful manner. You can't call, or even call out Fast larry, he's still hding under his desk in Hotlanta.

Come back when you're better medicated.

1Time
10-22-2007, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> I write what you are on my bathroom mirror in lipstick
twisted, perverted, sick.<hr /></blockquote>

Hey, I wish you well craigstevens. It's been so refreshing and enlightening of you to stop by and shine your light in such a dark place as this. And what a great loss it would be to see you go elsewhere. I would think someone who's so sure of himself and apparently has so much to offer, would have more of an interest in helping others to see the light, like a doctor attending to the twisted, perverted, and sick. But then of course not everyone's cut out for that type of service. So go craigstevens, if you must, but be sure to take it with you that you passed on a prime opportunity to make a positive difference in the games of many pool players and to the sport itself.

Scott Lee
10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> You see this is all a waste of my very valuable time. <font color="blue">So why are you still coming here, after being banned by every alias you can think up? </font color> You are all caught dead ass wrong, teaching pool wrong, and can you discuss it, admit it, learn from it, get better at it, stop it, no. You ignore it, I see 3 monkeys on a limb, scott hands over ears, Dr Dave, head in anal orifice, pool chr, hands over mouth. Do the 3 monkeys even admit to cling and its function in a cut and admiting dirty balls throw, no, why, they are wrong, dead ass wrong. <font color="blue">It has to be wrong, Larry, because you are the ONLY one who is right!...just ask you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color> On the first page of Dr Daves first link I find it riddled with errors he is wrong on. So you can't admit wrong, you refuse to learn, so why in the hell am I still here. <font color="blue">Good question. Why are you still typing? </font color> I do not want to join in your little clubby group which means I have to agree with all of your BS to get along.

I write what you are on my bathroom mirror in lipstick
twisted, perverted, sick. <font color="blue">Wow...even a Hustler reference. I see your creativity has waned...</font color>

Your entire response to this, was to attack with insults to completely get this off the track, which is finding the truth, and turn it into the lynch party I described in advance you would launch.

I am leaving, this is my last post <font color="blue">Wanna bet? </font color> , too many here, do not want the truth, they want to hear, what they already know and I do not wish to disturb that with them.

I shall continue to wander the earth bare foot with my bamboo flute searching and searching until the enlighten ones find me <font color="blue">or until you get your meds right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color> . Hasta La Vista, Babies. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Whoa...that last line is pretty scary Larry! Best of luck with that! </font color>

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
10-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Dave...I have always stated that FL has a tremendous accumulation of pool knowledge. Sadly, it is encased in an ego so impenetrable that nothing but dribble (or as you noted, slander) gets out.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> Why don't you ask Larry these questions instead of me?
Call the guy up and ask him, go bum a dime? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Probably because you are him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, are you in a time warp? Phone calls are at least $.50 now, if not a buck, at a payphone (if you can find one).

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

Scott Lee
<hr /></blockquote>

I thought F/L was hiding from me. Do you think he has rethought his position on that challenge match? Last thing I knew, he was slinking away....slithering away? </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Dee...Well, we know Eric popped him one, and scared the bejeebers out of him. You're 3x Eric's size! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What do you expect? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif If he EVER shows up, I'll be on the next plane to sweat the action! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott

steve617
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Getting back to the original post she has discovered that she needs to keep the butt section in closer to her after doing this she is shooting more accurate.

Steve

Scott Lee
10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Steve...How did her lesson with Janet Atwell go? Did Janet use video analysis to help your wife?

Scott Lee

wolfdancer
10-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Mr, Stephens.....welcome back!!!!
I think one little tip I picked up from you, kicked my game up a couple of notches.
"put a sock...." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This board would be a lot more fun...if folks would add in a few colloqualisms...to make their point

Deeman3
10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>Dee...Well, we know Eric popped him one, and scared the bejeebers out of him. You're 3x Eric's size! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What do you expect? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif If he EVER shows up, I'll be on the next plane to sweat the action! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In fairness, I'm only 2/3rds as big as the last time you saw me so I may not have as much "weight" to give up now but I'm still willing to make the trip to Atlanta if someone ties him up so he can't escape this time.

I was actually at the Expo when Eric decked him but was not in the area to help celebrate.

How come, every clown with "secrets" that no one else has....always turns out to be a mental case? Does this insider knowledge that has escaped the rest of the free world come with the heavy price of loss of sanity or do the narcodics just make it happen by themselves?

I know you and everyone else on here would love to gain any knowledge from any source as would I. What is it that makes F/L and others use a flamethrower when the simple spoken word, well measured, is so much better? My theory is that F/L should give demonstrations of his remarkable skills and knowledge but let the dog do his talking for him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

pooltchr
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Dee, I agree that everyone on here probably has something worthwhile to share...but when they bury it under so much BS, it makes it awfully difficult.

Listen to the dog!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Qtec
10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Watch two top players in top form slug it out. All the 'secrets' of the game are there in plain view for all to see.

Two guys view a Picasso or a Van Gogh. One goes weak at the knees and the other checks his cell phone .

To really appreciate you have to know what you are looking at.
Q .............and yeah....FL is back....or his reincarnation... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve617
10-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Janet was busy last week and my wife and daughter is taking their first lesson Wednesday. It will be intresting what they go over on their first lesson. On a good note tonight my daughter beat me in 8 ball and I still had 3 balls to go. Before we started I placed random balls one at a time for her to knock in. If she has a difficult shot I had her repeat the shots. We did this for about 10 minutes. I think that really helped. Will let you know how things go after there class with Janet. Thganks for asking.

Scott Lee
10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Steve...I don't know if you're going with your wife and daughter or not, but if so, if you don't see a video camera already set up, ask Janet if she plans to to any video stroke analysis. If she says no, I would look elsewhere for lessons. jmo

Scott Lee

Deeman3
10-23-2007, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Watch two top players in top form slug it out. All the 'secrets' of the game are there in plain view for all to see.

Two guys view a Picasso or a Van Gogh. One goes weak at the knees and the other checks his cell phone .

To really appreciate you have to know what you are looking at.
Q .............and yeah....FL is back....or his reincarnation... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Q,
Please don't say anything about painting, I'll have to concede to your country that I have a weakness for the Dutch Masters. I wish you guys had kept more of them in Holland as I have had to travel a lot of miles to see many of them. What, in your opinion, was the root cause of so many talented painters from such a small area?

If you ever want to make a late night visit to the Louve, count me in. I think we could carry about 10% of the works they have stolen from the Dutch and make it back across the border if Belgium doesn't notice us. Then we go after the the Italians..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif Van Gogh rules...</font color>

SpiderMan
10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> Oh man, sorry about that, guess what, the ghost ball aiming system, does not work, and any body teaching it, does not know S***.

<hr /></blockquote>

I'm surprised that there is still a place on earth where "few" know about cling and throw. Must be easy pickings out there /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

bradb
10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote craigstevens:</font><hr> You see this is all a waste of my very valuable time. <font color="blue">So why are you still coming here, after being banned by every alias you can think up? </font color> </font color> . Hasta La Vista, Babies. <hr /></blockquote>

Larry, is this your new alias now? Good Gawd I do believe you have got me on a few replies, A note.... I never would have attatcked your site, just bluster with a touch of salt. The meds are working there's no doubt, or... you have fell deep into your new identity and have found peace with the english language. Any way don't worry about seeking the truth... it will find you. brad

steve617
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
We just got back from Janets tonight and they spen a little over 2 hours. She got one started on one table and then one on the other. She went from the very basic as far as approach the table, alignment, stance, all of the basics which is what they need. She was very through. I set the balls for one while Janet set for the other. Then we would switch were she could spend time with both. Probably go back in 2 or 3 weeks. She did not mention anything about video and I did not see any kind of set up. She expressed how important to be able to hit center and have a good follow through. She made them practice hitting their cue balls down the table and back. They both felt they learned a lot.

Steve

1Time
10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote steve617:</font><hr> We just got back from Janets tonight and they spen a little over 2 hours. She got one started on one table and then one on the other. She went from the very basic as far as approach the table, alignment, stance, all of the basics which is what they need. She was very through. I set the balls for one while Janet set for the other. Then we would switch were she could spend time with both. Probably go back in 2 or 3 weeks. She did not mention anything about video and I did not see any kind of set up. She expressed how important to be able to hit center and have a good follow through. She made them practice hitting their cue balls down the table and back. They both felt they learned a lot.

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> Positive reinforcement is more important than shooting long shots at this point. Proper mechanics are needed before better aiming will help. The instructor would be the best to handle this. <hr /></blockquote>

They should have been tasked to practice something until next time. Video recordings at this point are of little use except for providing laughs a few years down the road. I still say limiting their fun to focusing on fundamentals is best. Competing at this point, even for fun, is a sure method of learning and practicing bad habits and wrong fundamentals.

steve617
10-25-2007, 02:21 AM
She also wrote down in detail step by step what they went over so they could rember to do it at home.

Snapshot9
10-25-2007, 05:44 AM
LOL ... Are you guys too young to remember that 'Craig Stevens' is the actor that played 'Peter Gunn' on TV??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The instructor for the wife is good, and most husbands usually only know enough to be dangerous. She has to develop a good stroke 1st, including being able to make a 'good' steady bridge, something most women are weak on.

You have to develop the 'basics' FIRST, then you will be able to make the cue ball go where you want it to. Aiming isn't hard, at least not near as hard as some guys make it out to be with all their 'revolutionary' aiming systems.
Go to the ball you want to shoot in, aim it straight into the pocket you want, keep your eye on the spot on the object ball, and hit it there to make it. It's worked 46 years for me.

The instructor will get her off on the 'right' foot, which is important because then she won't develop bad habits that will be extremely hard to correct in the future. If you want something done 'well', you have to have a good plan to do it, don't you. Would you build a house without blue prints?