PDA

View Full Version : The Presidential Election

Vapros
10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
In case anyone was wondering, here's how I see the next presidential election, about a year from now.

Let's get this out of the way first: If the election were held today, the Democrats would win it in a walk. They could probably elect Richard Simmons. But the election won't be held today, so it doesn't matter.

The Republicans will make a race of it, a close race. If they can come up with a candidate who can see lightning and hear thunder and has the right number of arms and legs, he will make a strong showing, and just might do even better than that. But don't bet the rent money. Whatever rabbits are still left in the incumbents' hat, and there are always a few, they will appear in election year. American politics has always been that way. There will be some positive news items in the coming year, both in this country and around the world. Maybe not stupendous or magnificent, but still positive, and the GOP will benefit. The ghost of GWB will be a heavy load to carry, whoever gets the nomination.

The Democrats, bless 'em, are still the big favorites to win, and let's note that if they can't win this one, they might never win another one. They can close the office, lay off the staff and sell Gayle's computer on Ebay. All the numbers are on their side; they have a lot more registered voters than the other side, and have for a long time. It's hard to see how they ever lose an election, but we know they do, and there are a couple of reasons.

First, they keep nominating those odd candidates. There are capable people in the party, but they don't get picked. It's like having Shaquille Oneal on your side, and making him a cheerleader. They are always trying to break new ground. Talk about a long row and a dull hoe! This time, it looks like a choice between a lady (?) who has already done some hard time in the White House, (and would go back there accompanied by a fun guy with a loose zipper) and a skinny kid with a third-world name. The lady is the big favorite today. She is hot in the polls. However, it is one thing to support Hillary when the pollsters ring your phone, but a whole 'nother smoke to vote for her to be the president. A lot of staunch Democrats will break out in a cold sweat inside the booth and find their arms locking up tight when it comes to casting their ballots. Besides that, they can't seem to get the voters out on election day, and that might be a direct result of the other problem. In the town where I live, you can't rent a vehicle on that day, because the local Dems have hired them all in their efforts to get the voters to the polls. Sometimes it works.

It's the Democrats' game to win or lose. They will break on top and should be able to bring it home, but sometimes they drop the ball on the two-yard line.

In case there is any doubt, I'm a registered Republican and will probably vote that way, but I don't always. But the odds on me voting for Hillary are about the same as the odds on crossing I-10 on your hands and knees at rush hour. Not very likely.

Feel free to add your own view of the coming political year. After the election, someone will resurrect this thread and some of us will look pretty foolish, but who cares? A few of us will look pretty wise, even if it's an illusion.

heater451
10-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey, Vapros.

I'm thinking that the (conservative) media keeps pushing Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, because they want people to focus on them, and pick sides. Any other candidates get ignored, and can't put up a good show for voters. And, like you said, when it comes to casting the ballots, people will freeze. Either that, or the damage will have been done, and the Democratic party votes will be too divided, driving down their actual value.

The Republicans will have a "strong" leader, as soon as they start cutting away people that they think are completely unelectable, and/or might actually not benefit those who fit the neo-Con stereotype.

Of course, I'm still only talking abou the popular vote. In reality, the President will be chosen by the Electoral College Fairy. Someone will get elected, and the rest will turn into pumpkins.

============================

LWW
10-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Are you confused on how the electoral college works?

It's really pretty easy and requires no magic.

LWW