PDA

View Full Version : dr popper vs pred air?

mrgoochio
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
first of all i've never hit with a 'jump cue' before.. so i'm pretty new to this. anyhow, for those of you that have hit with either or both, which would you recommend? theyre around the same price and although i was going for the pred air (to couple with a nice bk2 for breaking), the dr popper looks so impressive from the videos. the thing pushing me away from the dr popper is that its not a 'regular' jump cue. is there any exceptional rule against using the dr popper in league play? (for the leagues that allow jump cues to begin with)

okinawa77
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
The Dr. Popper cue has a phenolic tip, and from what I heard recently...a guy was playing a pro tournament using a break cue with a phenolic tip. He was DQ'ed because of it. I heard he was doing really well, and somewhere near the finals, he was disqualified for using the cue with a phenolic tip.

So, as far as league play....check the rules.

I just looked at the Dr. Popper video, and I am tempted to buy it, just to try it out. I can't find it on the McDermott website. I wanted to see if it also comes with the McDermott lifetime warranty and lifetime maintenance.

I haven't tried either jump cue...as I tend to opt for the kick or masse shot, rather than jump.

mrgoochio
10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Ah I didn't know phenolic tips were illegal.. the dr popper cue is under the tour/players section of their cues.
heres a link to the page:
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/DRPOP_a.asp

1hit1der
10-19-2007, 05:11 PM
The Dr Popper is a great cue for close jump shots and if the object ball and obstructing ball are close to each other. It gets the cue ball up and down really fast. I don't think I'd typically use it in a game situation though. The thinner shaft makes it unusual to grip, but that's just an adjustment you have to make.

I haven't tried the Predator Air, but it looks intriguing.