PDA

View Full Version : They expect me to work for these kind of wages

wolfdancer
10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
it's damn insulting!!....I really feel for Joe here....what with the COL in NYC
I think after a few weeks wait he can collect unemployment benefits
I know people in the Auto industry, don't make that kind of money....
web page (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=reu-yankeestorredc&prov=reuters&type=lgns)

eg8r
10-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I still cannot believe he will not be with the Yankees, but if he thought he was worth another $15 million he is out of his mind. I think there are plenty of players on that team that could use a salary cut.

eg8r

wolfdancer
10-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Ed, besides getting that salary....last time I looked, their expense per diem was $350.
I think they give manager's too much credit, and lay too much blame on them....but at the risk of repeating myself....no risk, I posted this before...
comparing Yogi to Casey...a guy wrote " in the 5th inning Casey is figuring out what to do in the 9th; in the 9th inning Yogi is trying to figure out what he should have done in the 5th"
It might be good to change managers, but I doubt if they can improve upon Joe....
I'd hate to do the match, and try to figure out what Alex gets every time he just swings a bat

eg8r
10-21-2007, 02:31 AM
I agree, it does not get much better than Torre. I just hope what players are left will respond positively to the next guy.

eg8r

LWW
10-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Torre is a horrible manager.

His record before NY demonstrates that.

LWW

nAz
10-21-2007, 09:37 AM
"Torre's 12 consecutive seasons as Yankees manager tied for the second-most in club history with Casey Stengel (1949-60) and Miller Huggins (1918-29), and behind Joe McCarthy, who ran the team from 1931 through the first 35 games of 1946. Torre's regular-season record of 1,173-767 includes the second-most wins in franchise history, behind McCarthy (1,460) and ahead of Stengel (1,149)"

he was a great manger...not really his fault that the pitching collapsed when it did, it has been the Yankees achilles heel for the last few years now.
i think they need to focus on Brian cashman who has not done a good enough job acquiring better pitching maybe, it is time for him to go.

BTW I'd like to see lou pinella come in as he is always good for entertainment and the players love him.

LWW
10-21-2007, 11:30 AM
My opinion is based on the idea that when you have the most expensive car on the track for 7 years in a row and don't win a race ... then your driver sucks.

Nothing against him as a a person certainly, but his record elsewhere as a manager is far more indicative of his true talents IMHO.

That being said, Joe is a baseball genius and a saint compared to George.

LWW

dg-in-centralpa
10-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I saw on ESPN about a week ago that Tony LaRussa might be the next manager. That might be a good fit.

DG - just back from the US Open

eg8r
10-21-2007, 04:38 PM
There has been plenty of speculation about whether LaRussa has thick enough skin for NY. While he is a proven coach, coming to NY changes everything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If he comes I hope the best for him because it would be great to see the Yankees win another 25 this century.

eg8r

eg8r
10-21-2007, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Torre is a horrible manager.

His record before NY demonstrates that. <hr /></blockquote> Whatever.

eg8r

Deeman3
10-22-2007, 07:33 AM
I hold him in very high regard. Not especially because of his baseball skills but something I saw him do right in front of me in Detroit when any other person would have been petty and thoughtless. Yes, he may make too much but it would take a bunch extra to live with Steinbrenner and those NY press guys. I've often wondered how I'd hold up to that pressure even for that much money.

I think he's always been a class act.

wolfdancer
10-22-2007, 11:28 AM
No matter what George is paying you...it must feel like being back at the plantation picking cotton. I'm surprised no former
employee hasn't written something like "Fear and Loathing in NYC",
George seems just tyrannical to me...whereas the Donald believes he speaks from the Mount...
In a game, I'd guess that as many managerial moves backfire, as work....the relief pitcher gives up a grand slam on the first pitch, the pinch hitter strikes out, bases loaded, and you lost your starter...or the batter misses the bunt sign, and hits the walk off HR...making you look like a genius.
In the end it's about managing people, people with huge egos that make a lot more $$ then you do.
But how 'bout them Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is Tito a ***** managerial genius, or what??????